Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

penumbra48

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2014
Hi All,

long time lurker. just got my first mac, a rMBP with 750M dgpu.

what's the first things I should do to make sure all the components are in tip-top shape? burn-in software, diagnostics, dead-pixel apps, etc?

I got a Kuzy rubberize hardcase enroute, but are there better hard cases out there? should I go overboard and put protective skin on first before I put the hardcase on it? I don't want dirt to be trapped between the hard case and the laptop.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
It's already made of metal. I think it is pretty durable, but obviously don't spill anything on it or drop it. I dragged a 2010 MBP to class every day for grad school, and it survived fine without any case.

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
It's a nice stylish chunk of precisely machined aluminium. Enjoy it, don't hide it under stick on tat and plastic cases.

I've been having the same discussion with my mother about the dining table at home for years. She spent well over £1000 on a lovely bit of danish furniture. It's spent less than a day of the last 15 years not under a £5 tablecloth... :roll eyes:

They are durable in normal use. Aside from taking tiny chunk out of the front edge of my 2011 after accidentally dropping a 3.5" hard drive on it, my 2008 and 2011 unibodies didn't have a visible scratch on them.

Yoshi Yogurt

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2010
It's a nice stylish chunk of precisely machined aluminium. Enjoy it, don't hide it under stick on tat and plastic cases.

I've been having the same discussion with my mother about the dining table at home for years. She spent well over £1000 on a lovely bit of danish furniture. It's spent less than a day of the last 15 years not under a £5 tablecloth... :roll eyes:

They are durable in normal use. Aside from taking tiny chunk out of the front edge of my 2011 after accidentally dropping a 3.5" hard drive on it, my 2008 and 2011 unibodies didn't have a visible scratch on them.

Yea dropped my mouse on mine already and it chipped a tiny little ding out of it. Not gonna sell this laptop ever so I guess the scratches add character as some like to say...

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
Hi All,
long time lurker. just got my first mac, a rMBP with 750M dgpu.
what's the first things I should do to make sure all the components are in tip-top shape? burn-in software, diagnostics, dead-pixel apps, etc?
I got a Kuzy rubberize hardcase enroute, but are there better hard cases out there? should I go overboard and put protective skin on first before I put the hardcase on it? I don't want dirt to be trapped between the hard case and the laptop.
i would asap get a microscope to look for dead pixels and leave a chessboard on the screen for a day or two to check for image retention. Also get color calibration software to check for the yellow tint. Listen for possible clicking noises and dont forget to resize windows while they are loading to be able to complain about UI lag.
Enjoy :)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
what's the first things I should do to make sure all the components are in tip-top shape?
Just use it and enjoy it. No need to get to that level of examination. If an electronic component is gong to fail, it typically does early on so just use the computer and enjoy your new baby.

dead-pixel apps
Not worth the trouble, hassle and work. If you don't notice anything wrong with your screen under normal usage, then its fine. Why look for problems that may not be there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.