Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

krravi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 30, 2010
Around 2 years ago I gave up Bootcamp on my 2011 27" iMac due to bad fan management issue and have been running Parallels.

Yesterday I installed Windows 8 with the latest Boot Camp drivers and everything seems fine. Absolutely no heat and no need for gazillion fan programs that was the hallmark of Windows on Boot camp.

I heard the new reworked drivers are 64 bit and all the heat management issues have been resolved. Looks like Apple finally got to it.

I am going to run it for a couple of days without any fan control programs and see if it holds up.

But I am glad that I can finally use Bootcamp the way it was intended.

Just curious what others experience has been...

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I've not noticed any issues with heating on my rMBP running windows 8.1

krravi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 30, 2010
To give an update... I have been running my iMac non stop for 48 hours running a CPU intensive task(Trade simulation) and I just got home and checked and the iMac is cool as a cucumber!

I guess the latest Apple BootCamp drivers are great!

And then I ran an application that uses as many cores as there are available (MetaTrader 5) and the iMac became very hot..very hot in the sense, I could not touch the back case!

Intensive CPU use on all cores can get real hot fast... in every computer, but the issue here is the fans were completely unaware of the rising temperature.... So I guess this is where the fan control programs come to play.

So yes, the heat/fan issue is still there... :(

I guess I just have to get a PC and sell this thing. Can't afford to have both at the moment.

Last edited:

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
two new 2013 iMac 27" units here and both running nothing but Windows 7 Pro via BootCamp and no problems here.

Both cool to the touch and have been up and working 24/7 for weeks now. No issues what so ever!

Windows 7 Pro runs like lightning on this hardware!:)

krravi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 30, 2010
two new 2013 iMac 27" units here and both running nothing but Windows 7 Pro via BootCamp and no problems here.

Both cool to the touch and have been up and working 24/7 for weeks now. No issues what so ever!

Windows 7 Pro runs like lightning on this hardware!:)

Yeah till you start taxing the system ... In the sense that there is a difference between it *just* running where most of the processes are idle as opposed to running a CPU intensive task continuously.

krravi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 30, 2010
I was seriously looking at building my own PC with liquid cooling and what not and then stumbled on this

http://www.crystalidea.com/macs-fan-control

Works like a charm. :)

Looks like I will hold on to my Mac after all.

Why was this so hard for Apple to write a small utility like these guys did?

After all even if it is Windows, shouldn't they be proud of their hardware?

krravi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 30, 2010
Guys, I finally couldn't take the many issues with Bootcamp.

1)Fan not spinning according to Temp
2)No sleep function when thunderbolt drive is connected
3) My 2011 iMac Core i7 was under powered compared to today's processors. Yes I need the power recently due to some intensive programs I will be running 24 hours a day!
4)Upgrading anything is a freaking pain. Can't even add a SSD without too much hassle.

So I bought a DELL Precision workstation with XEON to do the number crunching and take the abuse and hence I am selling my iMac. Can't play Houdini trying to get the Mac to work with Windows without any issues. Am tired. And this PC has lot of slots to uprade and adding/removing video cards/memory/hard disk is a snap.

I will miss OS X, but I will use my rMBP with a KVM switch.

Then you might be wondering, how could you miss the 27" in high res screen? Well that's one of the main reasons I am getting away from it. Can't stand the high res anymore inspite of the high DPI scaling lot of web pages or programs don't scale correctly and am left squinting my eyes to read. I must be getting old sooner than I think.

I still have my rMBP,iPhone and iPad.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
You have to find the right tool for the job and it seems in your case, that tool is not a Mac running windows.

I stated in another thread that I've always found odd incompatibilities and minor and sometimes not so minor issues running windows on my Mac.

I have windows 8 running very nicely now on my rMBP - so much so, I'm really hesitant to do any updates. :eek:

nex01

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2014
I've not noticed any issues with heating on my rMBP running windows 8.1

Unfortunately, I do on my Macbook Pro Late 2013 because the Nvidia GPU is being used constantly in Windows.
Good thing is I found a way how to use Intel Iris Pro graphics, but do not understand the process how to do it.

Kashsystems

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2012
Guys, I finally couldn't take the many issues with Bootcamp.

1)Fan not spinning according to Temp
2)No sleep function when thunderbolt drive is connected
3) My 2011 iMac Core i7 was under powered compared to today's processors. Yes I need the power recently due to some intensive programs I will be running 24 hours a day!
4)Upgrading anything is a freaking pain. Can't even add a SSD without too much hassle.

So I bought a DELL Precision workstation with XEON to do the number crunching and take the abuse and hence I am selling my iMac. Can't play Houdini trying to get the Mac to work with Windows without any issues. Am tired. And this PC has lot of slots to uprade and adding/removing video cards/memory/hard disk is a snap.

I will miss OS X, but I will use my rMBP with a KVM switch.

Then you might be wondering, how could you miss the 27" in high res screen? Well that's one of the main reasons I am getting away from it. Can't stand the high res anymore inspite of the high DPI scaling lot of web pages or programs don't scale correctly and am left squinting my eyes to read. I must be getting old sooner than I think.

I still have my rMBP,iPhone and iPad.

Why not just build a hackintosh and get the best of both worlds?

krravi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 30, 2010
Why not just build a hackintosh and get the best of both worlds?

I actually tried that on my old ASUS CG5290. It worked flawlessly. But there was always this fear of unstability and any updates from Apple could crash your system. I could get curated updates from other websites... but that was too much of an hassle.

nevans54

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2015
Running Cool

I'm running Win 7 Pro on my Late 2012 Macbook Pro Retina 2.6 i7 processor, nvidia gt650m. Set up Bootcamp, which was a bit of a struggle bus... but after getting the OS installed I was noticing quite a bit of heat.

Spent a few hours today and I googled up a way for tremendous heat reduction. A combination of a fan control/temp monitor program and reducing CPU power.

This program works great:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/lubbofancontrol/
It doesnt really install just runs locally. Based on suggestion from this post:
http://apple.stackexchange.com/ques...-in-windows-on-a-retina-macbook-pro-boot-camp

I edited the FanControl.ini as suggested:
Code:
CPUkey=TC0F

This let me see the CPU and GPU temps and control fan speeds. But things were still running hot. Before the fan control program I was running 80C + and with peaks around 90C. Now all I was doing was running windows updates... maybe intense for CPU maybe not.

The second thing I did was get into the Windows Control Panel then:
Power Options > Change plan settings (starting from Balanced) > Change Advanced power settings. Then in the Power Options popup window, I went to: Processor power management > Maximum processor state, and set my On battery and Plugged in percentages to 90%. Voila! CPU Temp went from around 80-85C to about 65C!

Probably not ideal to only do 90% CPU if you want max performance, but my 2.6 quad core should still have significant speed.

Attachments

• yep_its_cool.png
    yep_its_cool.png
    1 MB · Views: 1,500

_MrZ_

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2015
Lubbo's fan control v.1.2.3. doesn't work anymore on new rMBP.
I'm using a mid 2014 with Windows 8.1 on Bootcamp v.6 with latest drivers and this is the problem:
e6yvio.png
On the other hand, this program (http://www.crystalidea.com/macs-fan-control) is working great,you just have to set the fan speed on "custom" and decide which sensor and temperature range you want.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.