Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eljanitor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 10, 2011
I have Macromedia Studio 8 and i would like to use it on my 2013 iMac. I was told that I could buy parallels and Install Snow leopard on my new iMac, so I can run Macromedia 8. I'm not sure what to do as parallels wont support Rosetta which I need to run Macromedia Studio 8. I am really frustrated and I was wondering how I can do this?

Last edited:

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
When you install Snow Leopard Sever in Parallels, you can use it and Rosetta within Snow Leopard Server to run PowerPC applications on newer Macs.

eljanitor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 10, 2011
It has to be Snow Leopard Server? It cant just be Snow Leopard?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
It has to be Snow Leopard Server? It cant just be Snow Leopard?

The license agreement only allows the virtualization of SL server, not the regular version. There's no other technical reason, other then what apple allowed.

The last time I looked at this, Vmware fusion looked at what version you had and if it wasn't the server flavor it would not work/install. Admittedly that was a while ago.

Manic Harmonic

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2011
The license agreement only allows the virtualization of SL server, not the regular version. There's no other technical reason, other then what apple allowed.

The last time I looked at this, Vmware fusion looked at what version you had and if it wasn't the server flavor it would not work/install. Admittedly that was a while ago.

VMware fusion will work with a standard snow leopard install, or any version of osx for that matter, if you user VMware unlocker. Unfortunately there is no equivalent of that with parallels.

eljanitor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 10, 2011
Parallels 9 & OSX Snow Leopard Server, no issues using Server edition runs Rosetta, Macromedia Studio8 Pro no problems thank you.

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011

I am somewhat surprised that you chose to delete my response to this message, so I will repeat it with the purported "offending" information deleted:

While I give you great deference as a moderator of this forum for your technical expertise, you do a disservice by your incorrect statement about what the Snow Leopard EULA allows and doesn't allow.

It was a common Urban Myth back in 2011 that the Snow Leopard EULA prohibits its virtualization in Lion, and subseqently Mt. Lion and Mavericks on a Mac.

That urban myth has been debunked since then.

And with Apple's decision to discount the price of Snow Leopard Server by 95%, to the same $20 as Snow Leopard, the issue has been largely rendered moot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.