Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple manufacturing partner Foxconn is set to begin mass production on the 4.7-inch iPhone 6 this month, according to local media cited by Reuters. The larger 5.5-inch iPhone 6 will begin production a month later, in August.

iphone6.jpg
Mass production of a 4.7-inch successor to the wildly popular iPhone 5 series of smartphones will begin during the third week of July, Taiwan's Economic Daily News said, without citing sources. Production of a 5.5-inch version will begin during the second week of August, it said.
Foxconn is also set to hire around 100,000 additional workers to help meet future demand for the device, according to a Chinese state-run news agency. Fellow Apple manufacturing partner Pegatron is also ramping up hiring, recruiting over 10,000 for its own facilities to help manufacture the iPhone. Additionally, it was reported last week that Foxconn was planning on deploying 10,000 robots to help employees with less intensive tasks like tightening screws.

Apple is widely expected to announce the iPhone 6 in early September, with a release coming a couple weeks later in late September. While it's unclear whether both the 4.7- and 5.5-inch iPhone 6 models will launch at the same time, the one-month delay in mass production could mean that the 5.5-inch is either available in lower quantities at first or will be announced at the same time as the 4.7-inch model and launch shortly after. Previously, it's been rumored the 5.5-inch model had been experiencing production issues.

Other than larger displays, the iPhone 6 is expected to include a thinner, iPod touch-like design, an A8 processor, and an improved camera, potentially measuring 13 megapixels. The larger model is expected to come with a $100 price increase, optical image stabilization and greater storage capability.

Article Link: 4.7-Inch iPhone 6 Set to Begin Mass Production This Month, 5.5-Inch in August

AstronomyiPhone

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2013
Maryland
Here we go.

I wonder how the use of robots will impact the build quality: it should increase consistency, but some minor thing will probably go wrong and it'll be in the news for weeks...

juanrp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2014
Florida
How many times is this thing going to go into production (lol :p)

Anyway, if I was anymore ready, I'd be outside of the apple store now.

:p:p

eiuro

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2013
Am I the only one on earth that doesn't believe apple will make a 5.5 inch iPhone?? I just don't see it..

randyj

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2004
I just hope for the IPhone 6B
B for battery = iphone twice as thick and mostly battery lasting 10 days. Extra thickness also allows for optical zoom camera and 256GB of storage...
B could be also for business, beast & best frickin' iphone yet

mad3inch1na

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2013
I don't understand the mockup image. I thought the antenna would not be able to transmit with a full metal backing.

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
Am I the only one on earth that doesn't believe apple will make a 5.5 inch iPhone?? I just don't see it..

I'm with you. The 5.5" isn't going to happen.

There haven't been any legitimate leaks of the 5.5" iPhone for a reason: it doesn't exist.

iCore24

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2013
Michigan
I hope they don't do that. Either release both at the same time or wait another year to release a bigger iPhone.

I don't want to buy the 4.7" iPhone then a month later there is a faster higher end one and my device is already inferior.

I honestly believe though the 5.5" IS NOT coming out, at least this year with all the leaks only leaning towards a 4.7".

Don't be like Samsung and release multiple phones months apart!

Actually wouldn't it be weird if Apple made another keynote for the 5.5" after the 4.7" was released? Usually keynotes last an hour and half+.

"So heres a bigger iPhone! Its 5.5"...BYE!" So my theory is they will announce both phones together but ship at different times. Thats the only plausible way I can see them releasing both phones in the same year.

satchmo

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
I just hope for the IPhone 6B
B for battery = iphone twice as thick and mostly battery lasting 10 days.

While I too wouldn't mind longer battery at the expense of thickness, it ain't gonna happen.

Although I wish Apple would give us at least a BTO option. Again highly unlikely given the extra SKUs and logistics.

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
Throw in the watch(es) Apple will release and a 12" iPad and Apple will cover the range of screen sizes.

iWatch - 1.5"-2.5"
iPhone - 4, 4.7, 5.5 inches
iPad - 8, 10, 12 inches (rounding)

JonneyGee

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2011
Nashville, TN

Here's my crazy theory: Apple will release two iPhone 6 models: 4.0" and 4.7". No one is noticing the 4.0" part leaks, only because they just think they're 5S/5C parts.

At least this is what I'm hoping for, anyway. 4.0" iPhone 6, please!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.