Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Exotic-Car Man

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2010
USA
With the MBP was 32GB RAM possible.

But with the new MBPR is 32GB not longer available.

Huh? I'm not seeing it.

Broadwell will have a larger boost on the iGPU side (20% or more) while also increasing power efficiency and it will not have DDR4 on the mobile side.

The last time Intel revealed a bit about Broadwell, they mentioned 30% more efficient per clock versus Haswell.

DDR4 for laptops are more likely to show up via Skylake (Broadwell's successor) in 2016-17 assuming no delays.

I see. Can you link me to the 30% CPU boost and no mobile DDR4 until 2016-17? I'm also not very interested about integrated GPUs. Those are still a joke and will be for many years to come. I need a discrete GPU for even moderate gaming. Broadwell interests me because of the lower power consumption.

magicMac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2010
UK
Well I still have a Early 2011 Macbook Pro, so I think it's time for an upgrade :D I don't even have Retina yet. But then, there could be some amazing new features in the next version so I don't know :mad: To wait, or not to wait...

I also have an early 2011 macbook pro, haven't gone retina yet because waiting for the SSD storage to match what I can get in this macbook and it's 2.5" form factor SATA connectors. Maybe the late 2014 models will have these slightly faster CPU's plus a 2TB built to order SSD option.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Why until Skylake with DDR4?

Because that's when Intel plans to add the support?

Remember, the memory controller is integrated with the CPU, not separately, so you have to wait for Intel to support new memory technologies.

Not many companies are producing DDR4 memories right now, so there is no point of doing DDR4 when you don't have the supply.

The migration to DDR4 will not happen for another year or two, at best, you can expect to see an uptick in 2016.

StarkInc

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2011
Because that's when Intel plans to add the support?

Remember, the memory controller is integrated with the CPU, not separately, so you have to wait for Intel to support new memory technologies.

Not many companies are producing DDR4 memories right now, so there is no point of doing DDR4 when you don't have the supply.

The migration to DDR4 will not happen for another year or two, at best, you can expect to see an uptick in 2016.

Thanks...

Kevsta26

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2011
USA
I also have an early 2011 macbook pro, haven't gone retina yet because waiting for the SSD storage to match what I can get in this macbook and it's 2.5" form factor SATA connectors. Maybe the late 2014 models will have these slightly faster CPU's plus a 2TB built to order SSD option.

Yeah, it would be nice to not spend another nearly $3000 and end up with less space :p

Nismo73

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2013
So...Updated Haswell in October and then redesigned Pro Broadwell WWDC '15 with usb 3.1

omgwut

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2006
Waiting for Broadwell is a waste of time and money.

If you need a machine now, just buy it. If you don't need one now, don't buy one.

But whatever, enough of the "Should I wait for the 'Xxxxx' chip" nonsense. If you're in a position to where the next generation will be meaningfully better enough, you're in a position to buy a current model RIGHT NOW. If not, then you generally don't NEED the next generation.
Yeah, its silly. You're always going to be waiting for something. It's just the nature of the commercial electronics industry. I can justify waiting for something if its been officially announced and its right around the corner, or if its got a killer feature that the current offering lacks, but otherwise if you're waiting for minimal spec bump after spec bump... just make the jump.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I love all these people that complain. :roll eyes:

The vast majority of people do not need faster CPU's. Unless you are doing CPU intensive tasks a better integrated GPU will be more beneficial. Anyways, yes broad well will be better, but if you need a new computer just get one. It seems like only yesterday the current generation was the newest generation....oh wait.

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
I thought these CPUs ran around 3.8GHz. These are all low clock speeds. Are these the lower-power laptop versions or something?

----------

I love all these people that complain. :roll eyes:

The vast majority of people do not need faster CPU's. Unless you are doing CPU intensive tasks a better integrated GPU will be more beneficial. Anyways, yes broad well will be better, but if you need a new computer just get one. It seems like only yesterday the current generation was the newest generation....oh wait.

What do people use the GPU for?

Last edited:

The Mercurian

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2012
Meh.

Only question now is will the refresh boost the GPU. I reckon they have to either boost the GPU or drop the price by €100-200

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
Well I still have a Early 2011 Macbook Pro, so I think it's time for an upgrade :D I don't even have Retina yet. But then, there could be some amazing new features in the next version so I don't know :mad: To wait, or not to wait...

13" or 15". Unless you are running I to video issues, I would wait. You will kick yourself if the new ones come out 6 months after you bought this one. Especially after waiting this long.

Of course this presumes you already upped the RAM and switched to an SSD. Otherwise, spend $ on that to tide you over.

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/

I'm keeping my 2009 MBP until something really cool comes out.

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
Waiting for Broadwell is a waste of time and money.

If you need a machine now, just buy it. If you don't need one now, don't buy one.

But whatever, enough of the "Should I wait for the 'Xxxxx' chip" nonsense. If you're in a position to where the next generation will be meaningfully better enough, you're in a position to buy a current model RIGHT NOW. If not, then you generally don't NEED the next generation.

Meanwhile, Apple significantly advances their ARM-based AX chips every year.
Lookin' at YOU, Intel.

kramjam

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2008
California
Hoping for a price drop, 8GB/256GB SSD will come standard, and 16GB stock at the $1799 tier.

Last edited:

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
Meanwhile, Apple significantly advances their ARM-based AX chips every year.
Lookin' at YOU, Intel.
It's easier to show improvements when you are starting from a low base. By all accounts it's the fabrication process technology and the challenges of being first to 14 nm that's holding Broadwell back rather than problems with the CPU architecture. Apple and their fabrication partners haven't even shipped an SoC on 20 nm yet. Apple is great at a good many things, but they aren't likely any better at fighting physics than Intel is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.