Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

manzanabook

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2014
If u see, when the CPU came out for the Air; and u know when the Air Update was released, then we can assume; maybe that the MBPr Update is sooner than expected ;)

04/14/14 --> 04/29/14 Air

07/20/14 --> ??? MBPr

so looking strained ahead for the next following 2weeks...
my bet when it is similar it could be the 07/29 or 08/04. we will see what happened.

pic sources: Cpu World

Attachments

• Macbook.jpg
    Macbook.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:

-0-0-0-0-

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2014
What is the big benefit of Broadwell over Haswell? Maybe I'm missing something, but so far I can't see the massive benefit of a Broadwell MacBook Pro. I understand that it will be lower power and that the integrated GPU will likely perform 20% better (some less likely reports say 40%), but from the perspective of someone who has been buying Apple products for decades, all of this sounds routine, not comparable to anything like a screen resolution or form factor change. Is there something of note that I'm missing, or something like a form factor change that's expected?

urtext

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2010
The Netherlands
If u see, when the CPU came out for the Air; and u know when the Air Update was released, then we can assume; maybe that the MBPr Update is sooner than expected ;)

07/20/14 --> ??? MBPr

my bet when it is similar it could be the 07/29 or 08/04. we will see what happened.

Yes, I noticed this as well! Reasonably, Apple can upgrade there rMBP in the next two weeks!

I am wondering how this works: just put another processor in the machine which solders it onto the logic board (socket is still the same of course)? Or do you need to adjust more hardware and stuff on and around the logic board to get an processor upgrade?

Yes, I am quite eager for an upgrade after 8 years, still running on a MacBookPro1,1 (which is running quite well). I am extending the upgrade for the past 4 years ;-)

Last edited:

P4ulypops

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2014
Web Developer

07/20/14 --> ??? MBPr

If there is a redesigned chassis though, wouldn't that take longer? I would love for one to come out in the UK whilst their 0% Finance is available, I would jump all over that.

Kevsta26

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2011
USA
13" or 15". Unless you are running I to video issues, I would wait. You will kick yourself if the new ones come out 6 months after you bought this one. Especially after waiting this long.

Of course this presumes you already upped the RAM and switched to an SSD. Otherwise, spend $ on that to tide you over.

I am still with an early 2011 MBP with the then hi-res screen and plan to wait this one out until the next generation launches with Broadwell, perhaps even the generation after that with Skylake.

I have changed the drive for a Samsung 1 TB 840 EVO SSD, fitted 16 GB of RAM, swapped the Wi-Fi + Bluetooth card out with one that does Bluetooth 4.0. It is definitely fast and capable enough for my needs at the moment.

Would like to differenciate here. At least it depends very much on the type of work you are doing as well as the setup of your 2011 macbook, wheter it makes sense to upgrade or not.

I own a maxxed out antiglare hi-res cMBP i7 2.2 early 2011 (16 GB ram, two SSDs running in raid-0) and investing anything now will give me pretty much the same technology and performance as i've already got, maybe only 15 - 20% faster (See geekbench scores!). Only a few years ago, i would have gotten a machine twice as fast after 3 years. - Definately not worth the money, if you are really honest and take into account glossy retina vs. non-glossy display!

Since i'm a programmer and i do code a lot, i think - yes, the retina display is nice - okay - BUT it's glossy which is a major drawback. - I'd expect a considerable improvement for performance and (!) battery life with Broadwell, therefore i'll wait. Besides that my existing 2011 MBP is so fast that i don't even need anything better, the only argument is the "i want something new" which really is the "human factor" but not a hard fact.

However, maybe a photographer has a different opinion about the retina display who doesn't care about raw processing power but rather a beautiful display with nice colors.

p.s. thumbs up apple, for the "new" batteries. i've got 850 cycles and it's still got real long battery life. awesome!

Well I actually haven't changed any of the internals at all, everything is the same as it came from Apple. 15 Inch Early 2011 MacBook Pro with Hi Res screen, 750 GB HDD I believe, 8 GB of RAM, I didn't go for the slightly faster i7, so in the end it was around $2800 for it. I've loved it ever since, but I feel like I'm missing out on the Retina screen and better graphics and slimmer form factor :p I don't absolutely need it, what I have now is fine for my daily use. I'll probably wait till the next refresh after this, or even a possible redesign. MacBook Pro Air anyone? Well, I can dream, can't I? :p

manzanabook

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2014
@urtext

Think that apple and intel talking a lot behind the scences.
So they taking your considerations into account ;)
A simple Cpu update (my bet) shouldn't be soo difficult.
So actually they don't need to change a lot.
Guess the procedure will be the same.
And Apple ordered/started producing the new ones, already ways before the introduction date of the ''new'' intels went public.
- Cuz they knew since a longer time, that there's some issues with broadwell.
Such companys used to have plan b.

@P4ulypops
my guess is yes; would take longer.
Or they would even make an event out of it.

It's quite a good question what apple is going to do;
actually they need to bring sth more than just 200mhz+
-- but do they need?
actually not; they did also just this with the air.

I think the innovations like a new design etc. they will wait for broadwell.
- but actually they have broadwell - so they wouldn't need other incentives.

Maybe they give us a little bit more than just cpu update - maybe not.
my bet it will be just the cpu update, but therefor they gonna to release it sooner.

no worries about the 0%---think that will last for longer.

Aetles

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2002
Sweden
I'm glad that I didn't listen to people like you when I chose between buying Core Duo v.s. waiting for Core 2 Duo... ... Or 9400m v.s. 3100...

People who did their homework will likely to buy a machine that last a little longer thus save money.

This. Don't listen to what people like Naimfan says.

Of all companies to buy from Apple really is the one you should consider waiting on if you don't have urgent need of a new computer (or iPhone/iPad etc). If the need is now then by all means buy, but if it is just a matter of "yeah, it's about time to upgrade" then a well timed purchase can add a lot of value.

Apple almost never cut prices so the older a product gets the less value it has. A wait can add more storage and RAM (something that Apple charges a lot for) for the same money, so it's not just about the speed for the processor.

Some products are difficult to predict, the Mac mini has not been updated for ages and the Apple TV does not follow a schedule at all. But others are updated more frequently. Buying a new iPhone 5S in september is a really bad move, for example.

ellsworth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2007
I'm waiting for a complete refresh of the Macbook Pro. This design has been around since 2008'ish. However the case, I don't need one now but I'm planning on upgrading very soon. 2015 can't come quick enough to see what's brewing.

Suspended
Feb 24, 2011
I also have an early 2011 macbook pro, haven't gone retina yet because waiting for the SSD storage to match what I can get in this macbook and it's 2.5" form factor SATA connectors. Maybe the late 2014 models will have these slightly faster CPU's plus a 2TB built to order SSD option.

You already have that. You can put two 1 TB drives into a cMBP2011, using hardwrk or any other SSD-into-OpticalDrive-Adapter, no?

magicMac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2010
UK
You already have that. You can put two 1 TB drives into a cMBP2011, using hardwrk or any other SSD-into-OpticalDrive-Adapter, no?

Exactly, thats why I wrote...

I also have an early 2011 macbook pro, haven't gone retina yet because waiting for the SSD storage to match what I can get in this macbook and it's 2.5" form factor SATA connectors. Maybe the late 2014 models will have these slightly faster CPU's plus a 2TB built to order SSD option.

To spell it out, I currently have a 2TB HDD in the optical bay and a 512GB SSD in the main bay - I haven't gone retina yet because the rMBP only goes up to 1TB.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
I'm waiting for a complete refresh of the Macbook Pro. This design has been around since 2008'ish. However the case, I don't need one now but I'm planning on upgrading very soon. 2015 can't come quick enough to see what's brewing.

The Retina MBP launched in 2012 with a new slimmer design of the 2008 blueprint but what can they realistically do? Slimmer with a larger trackpad perhaps? Shrink the size down so there is a smaller bezel maybe? Throw in Touch ID?

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
The Retina MBP launched in 2012 with a new slimmer design of the 2008 blueprint but what can they realistically do? Slimmer with a larger trackpad perhaps? Shrink the size down so there is a smaller bezel maybe? Throw in Touch ID?

I haven't seen the most recent MBP in person. I do, however, know my 2012 MBA has a giant bezel. If they're similar, I could definitely see a need for a smaller bezel. >_>

ellsworth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2007

Nah. I'm not looking for a slimmer/sleeker design. I'm looking for THIS UNICORN:
Apple-Liquid-Metal-MacBook-Pro.jpg

;)

jongleurjon

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2010
Glasgow, UK

07/20/14 --> ??? MBPr

Kudos to manzanabook who correctly predicted the day this refresh would be released. I'm glad I waited a few extra weeks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.