Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2012
I see more and more 5c models in the wild every day. I've even seen several people with my yellow model. Given so many people continue to use the 4S and even the 4, the initial disdain for the 5c was unwarranted. The 5c has the current top of the line screen, a fast chip, great camera, supports the current OS perfectly and works with all iOS apps. That's basically all most users need.

chupachup

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2013
I see more and more 5c models in the wild every day. I've even seen several people with my yellow model. Given so many people continue to use the 4S and even the 4, the initial disdain for the 5c was unwarranted. The 5c has the current top of the line screen, a fast chip, great camera, supports the current OS perfectly and works with all iOS apps. That's basically all most users need.

It is as expensive as an iPhone 5 would've been, with a much lower build quality. The issue is the price not the phone.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Apparently it's not as big of a flop as the haters claim. Then again it's no secret that it's the second biggest selling smartphone.

People have taken this whole "flop" thing out of context and extended it beyond its originally intended lifetime. It had nothing to do with overall sales, only the initial sales.

It all started with a BGR article after Apple's F1Q 2014 earnings call.

In that call, Tim Cook said that they lost 5S sales due to making more 5C models than needed. In other words, the 5C did not sell as well as Apple had expected. Also, apparently 5C inventory piled up in China, since that market really wanted a larger iPhone, not a plastic version of the 5.

So, because it did not meet Apple's initial expectations, BGR used the clickbait word "flop".

The internet echo chamber picked it up, and it's all been downhill since then.

Alphabetize

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2013
I've seen a fair number of 5C's. I don't get why so many people think it's a flop, it's really not. I do think it would've done better though if it was free on contract.

lokster

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2010
Here in the philippines, the iphone 5s and 5 seem more prevalent than the 5C

Even though 5c sells as new, people are looking for the 5, because well the build quality is better with the same specs. Aluminum body vs plastic body.

The 5C is just the 5 in a plastic body. Kind of like how the ipad 3 went away quickly with the release of the ipad 4. Kinda sad they mowed down the 5 so quickly. But then again they wanted the 5S to have the premium feel and so decided to put the 5 in a plastic body and re purpose for the 5C.

My girlfriend got an iphone 5, because she didnt want the plastic feel of the 5C, even though she thought pink looked cool haha.

Personally i fell in love with the iphone 4/4s design, it was so edged and rectangular it could stand up on its side all by itself. The lines were really clean and i loved it. :)

Crichton333

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2014
Definition of flop:

Merriam webster

flop verb \ˈfläp\
: to fall, lie, or sit down in a sudden, awkward, or relaxed way

:to fail completely

: to swing or move in a loose, awkward, or uncontrolled way

I think you can also look up NASDAQ and see whats a flop or not.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think you can also look up NASDAQ and see whats a flop or not.

I don't think a stock price is indicative of any given flop. Sure it may have a short term hit on the stock price but then things level out.

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
1) Tim Cook will never say anything failed, even if it did.

2) The iPhone 5c isn't a total flop. They did sell to some users, I think the issue was that it wasn't the device they had envisioned. They thought they would sell millions of these things overseas, and NOBODY buys these things overseas.

I live in Thailand where the iPhone sells like hotcakes and I have seen 1 person once using an iPhone 5c.

It's a shame really because I like the phone.

The sold to SOME users? I have read several places that the 5c has been the second biggest selling smartphone. I guess based on this logic those that think the 5c is a flop think mac's in general are an extreme failure because they sell so very few compared to windows machines?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
http://appleinsider.com/articles/14...ple-highest-growth-in-mid-range-iphone-market

Apparently it's not as big of a flop as the haters claim. Then again it's no secret that it's the second biggest selling smartphone.

Definition of flop:

Merriam webster

flop verb \ˈfläp\
: to fall, lie, or sit down in a sudden, awkward, or relaxed way

:to fail completely

: to swing or move in a loose, awkward, or uncontrolled way
Umm okay. I think people here said the 5C would flop. I did not read that from people who actually matter in the industry. Either way, it is good that it is doing well. Choice is great and every single person I know who owns the phone has been extremely happy with it. Then again, they use their phone and not keep it as some museum piece.

Thank goodness you gave the dictionary definition for flop. I was unsure what it meant.

Update your signature to include fan boys also only using the word "hater".

MacCruiskeen

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
Then again it's no secret that it's the second biggest selling smartphone.

Apparently it is a secret: " Exact sales of the iPhone 5c are unknown, as Apple declines to break down statistics on individual models for competitive reasons."

This article only tells you one thing: the rate of sales growth of one model in one year was more than that of a different model in a previous year. So, nothing that would really tell you anything about how many they've actually sold. It is, basically, marketing blah-blah.

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
Umm okay. I think people here said the 5C would flop. I did not read that from people who actually matter in the industry. Either way, it is good that it is doing well. Choice is great and every single person I know who owns the phone has been extremely happy with it. Then again, they use their phone and not keep it as some museum piece.

Thank goodness you gave the dictionary definition for flop. I was unsure what it meant.
Many people here call it a flop, they are obviously ignorant of the definition.

Update your signature to include fan boys also only using the word "hater".
What makes you think you can tell me what to do? Contrary to what you think the world does not revolve around you.

chupachup

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2013
As this really isn't accurate, I blame Apple for not educating the consumer.

It is very accurate.

An iPhone 5 will sustain a lot more abuse than a plastic 5c.

Actually if you drop the 5c you will see the screen starting to pop out of the case.

----------

I've seen a fair number of 5C's. I don't get why so many people think it's a flop, it's really not. I do think it would've done better though if it was free on contract.

Because the world isn't the USA. Outside the fanclub in the USA, nobody has a 5c. Apple was counting on this phone to be their international phone. It isn't. It is a flop.

Misaki

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2011
A lot of the people in my close circle of friends and coworkers have iPhones, but almost a year after it came out I'm still the ONLY person I know of that has a 5S. My wife and one or two friends have 5C's, a few people have the 5, and the rest seem to have the 4S still. I'm baffled that I have yet to see a single other 5S in the wild with my own eyes.

Unless you're in an urban center seeing people on the bus everyday or happen to live in a high income area chances are most people in your area are more budget oriented and either run an older phone for longer, or upgrade to the less expensive models. Most people around here will go with whichever model is free on a contract at the time and don't care that their phone might only see one more fully functional iOS update.

I'm also the only person I know with a 32GB iPhone, my local Telus store doesn't even get anything higher than 16GB in for inventory because they very rarely sell the larger capacities. You have to special order 32GB and up to get one at a carrier around here.

One of the guys I work with plans to buy the biggest screen and capacity iPhone 6 available when they come out and that's unheard of around here.

I guess the moral of my story is cost is the biggest actor to a HUGE majority of iPhone buyers. I'll have to ask my buddy at Telus what he figures the ratio of 5S-to-5C sales would be at his store as I'm curious to know now. I'm willing to bet 5C/4S still outsells the 5S around here by a large margin.
Telus offers free iPhones? Since when? The 5C is 130$.

My personal opinion: Antennagate hurt the 4/4S, and lack of LTE means these are going to be thrown away sooner. The absolute minimum model to get is the 5c, as you can have it unlocked and it will even work on Wind Mobile.

But as for who, and how many people have what out here. Large Asian community, I'm still seeing mostly iPhones. The Apple store is always more crowded than the Microsoft store, and both stores are actually fairly busy compared to the rather empty Samsung, Bell, Telus, and Wind Mobile stores in the same mall. I'm not sure what Roger's deal is, every time I talk to someone that sells Rogers, they tell me they don't actually work for Rogers and can't help me do anything but replace a device. Yes, even the stores that have ROGERS in the name.

I'd probably switch to Wind if Wind had LTE, but they don't. It is not worth paying the money for the unlocked iPhone and then have it always run in 3G mode. All the carriers don't offer any smartphone plans for less than 80$/mo. And they are practically the same on all of them.

chupachup

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2013
The sold to SOME users? I have read several places that the 5c has been the second biggest selling smartphone. I guess based on this logic those that think the 5c is a flop think mac's in general are an extreme failure because they sell so very few compared to windows machines?

Get me the numbers. Don't say you read it somewhere.

Where is your source that the 5c was the second biggest selling smart phone? Where?

I have seen ONE. Only one in the wild. I can't even remember where. I was shocked when I saw it. I thought maybe it was a Lumia, but no. It was the iPhone 5c that I usually see at the apple store.

It is a huge flop. In the USA, apple could sell bricks and it would be a hit.

Macs are another deal. I'm comparing iPhone to iPhone. You're the one bringing up windows and other things.

I said I see a lot of iPhone 5 and 4. Only ONE 5c. That's what I said.

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
Apparently it is a secret: " Exact sales of the iPhone 5c are unknown, as Apple declines to break down statistics on individual models for competitive reasons."

This article only tells you one thing: the rate of sales growth of one model in one year was more than that of a different model in a previous year. So, nothing that would really tell you anything about how many they've actually sold. It is, basically, marketing blah-blah.

Try looking around, it at least was the 2 best selling. It has dropped but how old is the tech? It is 5th right now, very respectable for tech a couple of years old:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckjo...s-still-the-top-selling-smartphone-worldwide/

Counterpoint research released its worldwide smartphone survey for February and it showed that Apple ’s iPhones were in the top two positions with the 5s and 5c in first and second place. The 5s has also been the top selling smartphone worldwide since it was launched six months ago. Samsung’s Galaxy S4 and Note 3 were in third and fourth, respectively, for February.

Right now the 5c IS at the 5 spot, but that's hardly a flop especially for how old tecdhnology?

http://www.imore.com/iphone-5s-continues-reign-worlds-best-selling-smartphone-galaxy-s5-who

That Samsung Galaxy S5 did come in second, though. And Samsung also snapped up the #3 and #4 positions with the Galaxy S4 and Note 3. The next two slots were occupied by the iPhone 5c and iPhone 4s. When you look at the top ten smartphones for the last quarter, globally Apple and Samsung account for all but two.

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
I guess some people have to be spoon fed.

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/19388321/

Flop? Hardly. Here in mexico the 5c and 4 are what are found in most telcel kiosks, not even the 5s or 4s.

Get me some numbers saying it's a flop, don't just spout the word. The mac analogy is the same because it's based on iphone vs other smartphones, not iphone vs iphone. That's ridiculous, apple is not competing against themselves.

Get me the numbers. Don't say you read it somewhere.

Where is your source that the 5c was the second biggest selling smart phone? Where?

I have seen ONE. Only one in the wild. I can't even remember where. I was shocked when I saw it. I thought maybe it was a Lumia, but no. It was the iPhone 5c that I usually see at the apple store.

It is a huge flop. In the USA, apple could sell bricks and it would be a hit.

Macs are another deal. I'm comparing iPhone to iPhone. You're the one bringing up windows and other things.

I said I see a lot of iPhone 5 and 4. Only ONE 5c. That's what I said.

Last edited:

Suspended
Sep 15, 2012
None of this information is surprising. 5c is a new model, 4s wasn't when it was at the $99 price point. Many people have been waiting on a colored offering for the iPhone, especially with all the recent discounts over the past quarter, mostly bringing the 5c down to being free with a 2 year contract.

Pointless thread with far too much effort by the OP to turn it into a logical discussion.

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
Where? In the USA?

I don't live in the us and have not seen a 5" iphone in the wild other than the 5c. It's either it or a 3 1/2" iphone.

----------

None of this information is surprising. 5c is a new model, 4s wasn't when it was at the $99 price point. Many people have been waiting on a colored offering for the iPhone, especially with all the recent discounts over the past quarter, mostly bringing the 5c down to being free with a 2 year contract.

Pointless thread with far too much effort by the OP to turn it into a logical discussion.

Then yours is a pointless post, you not ignoring it shows that it's far from pointless.

----------

It is very accurate.

An iPhone 5 will sustain a lot more abuse than a plastic 5c.

Actually if you drop the 5c you will see the screen starting to pop out of the case.

----------

Because the world isn't the USA. Outside the fanclub in the USA, nobody has a 5c. Apple was counting on this phone to be their international phone. It isn't. It is a flop.

Do you live in latin america? It's very big here, obviously you do not speak for this part of the world.

Suspended
Sep 15, 2012
I don't live in the us and have not seen a 5" iphone in the wild other than the 5c. It's either it or a 3 1/2" iphone.

----------

Then yours is a pointless post, you not ignoring it shows that it's far from pointless.

Nah, I just find it hilarious when OP's hang around to play defense with their awful topics, responding within minutes, and wind up insulting other users like a child when they disagree.

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
Nah, I just find it hilarious when OP's hang around to play defense with their awful topics, responding within minutes, and wind up insulting other users like a child when they disagree.

Insult? Then why are you still hanging around here? Spouting childish observations?

I will block you and you can keep posting here stating how pointless of a thread it is. Hypocrisy at its best. Adios.

Last edited:

chupachup

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2013

----------

----------

Do you live in latin america? It's very big here, obviously you do not speak for this part of the world.

It's big in the USA.

It isn't what they were planning. Outside the USA, there are no subsidized phones. You pay cash.

An iPhone 5c is a total rip off. You can buy a brand new flagship with the latest hardware for the same money. The iPhone 5c is a 3 year old phone sold at a premium. It is nonsense.

The big idea was for the 5c to be huge in Asia. It isn't.

MacCruiskeen

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
Try looking around, it at least was the 2 best selling. It has dropped but how old is the tech? It is 5th right now, very respectable for tech a couple of years old:

So it is either #2 or #5? Does that mean it is growing or falling? Also, and this is really the part I am having a hard time with, why am I supposed to care? Whether there is a 5c or is not a 5c doesn't really affect me very much one way or the other. Even as I type this the will to give a <expletive> is draining away rapidly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.