Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fullauto

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2012
Brisbane
Swatch was awesome 20 years ago. Man, the Pop Swatch was the thing. Clip it on your clothes, chunky.. Would there still be a patent for that design?

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2005
Swatch Group owns Omega, by the way. Would you have made the snobby comment if they said Apple working with Omega?

Working with Swatch is very different from working with the Swatch Group.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
right...because Apple loves to work with other hardware manufacturers? And because Apple loves to put their name/software on something without having complete control over the experience...yeah, that would make Steve Jobs come back from the dead just to slap Cook in the face

nando87

Cancelled
Jun 25, 2014
right...because Apple loves to work with other hardware manufacturers? And because Apple loves to put their name/software on something without having complete control over the experience...yeah, that would make Steve Jobs come back from the dead just to slap Cook in the face

You are right, could you imagine? It would be like using Samsung components assembled in a chinese factory owned by another company. Not gonna happen, SJ would never allow that. Nonsense.

roow110

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2011
If this news is true I think Apple is definitely doing the right thing. Watch taste is so highly subjective and dictated by fashion and trends. If they make the iWatch just a small puck that can be inserted into any band or watch "case" (be it Rolex, Swatch or whoever) then they can still control the hardware and software but leave the subjective aesthetic to the watch companies.

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2007
This rumor must be true, because Apple has a long history if introducing new products with a variety of different designs and options...

/sarcasm

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
LOL, this iWatch product is going to bomb so insanely hard I can't wait for the show!

You mean like was predicted when the first iPhone was released. Or like was predicted when the first iPad was released. Yea, I know the customary "you wait and see" response is coming.

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
Since I had my iPhones all these years, I stopped wearing watches. Worst to come out of this are all those reading and texting nuts that walk the street bobbing their head and staring at screens, occasionally making a furtive glance to avoid collisions. Now, they'll be sporting iwatches and appear to be perpetually telling the time. Or rushing around like the hare in Alice Through the Looking Glass.

rhoydotp

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2006
Since I had my iPhones all these years, I stopped wearing watches. Worst to come out of this are all those reading and texting nuts that walk the street bobbing their head and staring at screens, occasionally making a furtive glance to avoid collisions. Now, they'll be sporting iwatches and appear to be perpetually telling the time. Or rushing around like the hare in Alice Through the Looking Glass.

and how is that different from people looking at their iPhones, same what you had all these years?

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
Working with Swatch? Never gonna happen!

You mean work with one of the greatest corporate success stories in history? The company that single-handedly saved the Swiss watch industry from the brink of death?

Right... eeeeww.

----------

Working with Swatch is very different from working with the Swatch Group.

Hayek, who is quoted, is chairman of Swatch Group.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
While I'm one of the more skeptical on the iWatch rumor in spite of how much it's piling up, this bit of it makes a lot of sense to me. A big piece of my skepticism is the "watch is jewelry" argument which, in a nutshell, might be summed up as we've all had 100+ years of exposure to watches of every shape, size, color, material, type, etc. How can the masses beyond here (not the "buy anything Apple wants to sell crowd") be turned onto giving up that design diversity to instead adopt a singular design or two from Apple? I've half-joked that if Apple can take the wrist with a single design or two, the iUniform must be right on it's heels (as a kind of play on the fashion diversity of watches vs. the fashion diversity of clothing).

Partnering with others- even if some of those partners include the (perceived) lowly Swatch & Timex- for the specific purpose of rolling out iWatches of every shape, size, color, material, type, etc could go a long way toward that issue. Maybe the iWatch is a "guts" play, kind of like the carplay concept. In both, the visible "shell" is not necessarily Apple but the heart of it is Apple. If so, the Apple part that would be most visible- the screen or dial- obviously comes with a diverse design flexibility of showing any watch face when in watch mode. Have a Black band? Show a black face. Have a Gold band? Show a Gold face. Want roman numerals on the dial? Want divers marks on the dial? Want a retro LCD face? Etc. The screen portion could be any color or sync up with any design choices of the rest of the physical watch.

So while I don't love the reference of partners at Swatch & Timex level (though I do know Swatch is much more than the colorful, cheap, kiddie watches most attached to the brand), this rumor does shift me a bit toward seeing a way for an iWatch to sell to the masses.

nando87

Cancelled
Jun 25, 2014
It would be nice to partner with hublot and use their big bang unico 45,5mm case. Well, not nice, AWESOME to me, but sadly I suppose it is really difficult and it would be extremely expensive for the mass market, but I would pay up to 2000 USD for that kind of device.

GuitarDTO

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
I get the impression the iWatch won't be a watch at all, but a sensor suite that can be tagged along somehow with existing watches and ultimately is controlled through an iPhone or iPad. Whatever the case, I think there is more to this product than just merely being another smart watch.

tcm1975

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2010
Hopefully Not A Watch

I'm going to be shocked if this thing looks like a watch. You've got people who don't wear watches and people who do. The people who do aren't going to wear two watches and it's really unlikely they are going to toss out their current watch for an iWatch. The people who don't wear watches aren't suddenly going to start wearing them. However both groups would probably jump on some sort of Apple version of the fitbit. It's a no brainer. 70% of the fitness trackers out there are FitBit. You make a better version of that and have it play well with ios and android...That's the product.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I get the impression the iWatch won't be a watch at all, but a sensor suite that can be tagged along somehow with existing watches and ultimately is controlled through an iPhone or iPad. Whatever the case, I think there is more to this product than just merely being another smart watch.

Yes, as I've offered in other threads, I think it's another subsidy play, this time with the subsidy being paid by insurance companies and/or medicare so that it can be priced cheap* or free* while Apple still gets their full price & margin (just like iPhone). The play is related to these rumored health sensors and it's essentially a consolidation of the various stuff offered for free* in health-related TV commercials like diabetic gauges and similar: "it can be yours for free" (because your insurance company or medicare covers it). If Apple could consolidate the same kinds of meters and functionality into this iWatch, maybe they can get insurance & medicare to pay for up to all of what they want for it (too). If so, like the iPhone, they can price it un-Apple-like at the low-to-free level and still actually collect whatever they want to collect. Crazy idea? Maybe. But it does seem to fit what has worked so well with iPhone, subbing insurance companies for AT&T.

wordup60

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2012
If an iWatch launches in October, why have there been (to my knowledge) zero parts leaks while the iPhone, purportedly launching only a month earlier, has had lots for quite a while now?

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
The Apple faithful is always there to guarantee a certain amount of success, but, if the iWatch is simply an overpriced notification device (like the Pebble), it can fail.

The iPhone was a complete reinvention of an old paradigm. Pretty much revolutionizing how we communicate and access information. How Apple envisions wearable technology in our lives, will dictate the success of the iWatch.

nando87

Cancelled
Jun 25, 2014
Yes, as I've offered in other threads, I think it's another subsidy play, this time with the subsidy being paid by insurance companies and/or medicare so that it can be priced cheap* or free* while Apple still gets their full price & margin (just like iPhone). The play is related to these rumored health sensors and it's essentially a consolidation of the various stuff offered for free* in health-related TV commercials like diabetic gauges and similar: "it can be yours for free" (because your insurance company or medicare covers it). If Apple could consolidate the same kinds of meters and functionality into this iWatch, maybe they can get insurance & medicare to pay for up to all of what they want for it (too). If so, like the iPhone, they can price it un-Apple-like at the low-to-free level and still actually collect whatever they want to collect. Crazy idea? Maybe. But it does seem to fit what has worked so well with iPhone, subbing insurance companies for AT&T.

I don't think so, it wouldn't make sense in Europe.

gyang333

macrumors member
May 22, 2011
Swatch, ewww.

Movado or Rolex, fine. But any affiliation with Swatch is just gross.

Movado? To even have Movado and Rolex in the same sentence...

Also, Swatch Group owns Omega, Tissot, Longines, Blancpain, Hamilton, Rado... It's not just the plastic watches you see selling at mall kiosks.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I don't think so, it wouldn't make sense in Europe.

Europe doesn't have insurance or government entities that would similarly pay for things like diabetes testers and other testing tools? I was thinking it might work even better in countries with socialized medicine (more users would qualify since everybody is covered). Perhaps our friends from over there could chime in?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.