Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OzyOly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2009
Sorry but the problem with what you are saying... Well lol we had this discussion yesterday i think, the rumors point to production of 11" and 13" sizes for october (w.r.t Qanta producing them) of course that wouldn't make sense - because we just had a mini refresh of air 11" and 13" - i think the rumors aren't quite right - either it is that its a 12" being prepped for october OR it is 11" and 13" inch being manufactured now for 2015 release...but i just cant believe the rumors saying 11" and 13" release macbook air for october..it just doesnt make any sense...

I've become very confused by the recent rumours. :( I'll wait until the 13" rMBP refresh this October and get that unless there is a retina air. That's may plan anyway.

mcarling

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2009
You think they would drop dGPU in favour of Iris? I can't see that happening, at least until iGPU catches up with mobile dGPU...

It's been happening and I can think of no reason why Apple will not continue to drop the discrete GPU in favor of integrated Intel graphics. It has nothing to do with catching up; rather to being good enough. Apple have judged Intel's Iris graphics to be good enough for all 13" MBPs and Intel's Iris Pro graphics to be good enough for some of the 15" MBPs. With Broadwell's integrated graphics reported to be much better than Iris Pro, it would be stunning if Apple wouldn't consider it good enough. As long as Intel's integrated graphics are good enough, what a discrete chip can do is irrelevant.

mcarling

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2009
at this point the only people that should wait are the ones that plan to buy the high end 15" for the refresh

That makes no sense. The 13" and 15" models may be expected to get the same 200MHz speed bump. No other changes are likely for either model, except that the base level 13" model might perhaps get 8MB rather than 4MB of DRAM. The speculation that Apple would change the discrete GPU in the high-end 15" model mid-way through a production cycle is wishful thinking. I'd say the chances of Apple putting a new discrete GPU in any MBP before Broadwell are below 10%.

OzyOly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2009
It's been happening and I can think of no reason why Apple will not continue to drop the discrete GPU in favor of integrated Intel graphics. It has nothing to do with catching up; rather to being good enough. Apple have judged Intel's Iris graphics to be good enough for all 13" MBPs and Intel's Iris Pro graphics to be good enough for some of the 15" MBPs. With Broadwell's integrated graphics reported to be much better than Iris Pro, it would be stunning if Apple wouldn't consider it good enough. As long as Intel's integrated graphics are good enough, what a discrete chip can do is irrelevant.

They've always had integrated graphics in the 13" that's nothing new.
As for iris, they still offer a dedicated gpu in the high end 15" models, this is what I don't think will change as some user do require to do more than what an iGPU can manage. That is, it is not good enough for 'pro' users and I don't think this will change with broadwell. Maybe skylake though...
If apple would get on and release something this year, we may have more than speculation to debate about. :(

Sifinity

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2014
Texas
That makes no sense. The 13" and 15" models may be expected to get the same 200MHz speed bump. No other changes are likely for either model, except that the base level 13" model might perhaps get 8MB rather than 4MB of DRAM. The speculation that Apple would change the discrete GPU in the high-end 15" model mid-way through a production cycle is wishful thinking. I'd say the chances of Apple putting a new discrete GPU in any MBP before Broadwell are below 10%.

but they have done it before ; early 2011 and late 2011 15" have gotten only sandy bridge refresh and new dgpu's ; and the production cycle is done ( its been more than 9 months now ) , with high end 15" broadwell chips delayed till mid 2015 , the 950m will be out by then

psik

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
god dang , we might we waiting till october for a refresh if thats the case :rolleyes:
Although the same source says this at the end, unfortunately:

The sources also stressed that the computers are currently on pace to ship either in late Q3 or early Q4 this year, but constraints to Intel chipsets as well as resources placed on developing other products for the 2014 pipeline could push back these Mac launches into early 2015. The new MacBook and iMac will likely join refinements*to the MacBook Air line*and all of the new Macs will be components*of Apple’s*best product line in “25 years.”

mcarling

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2009
but they have done it before ; early 2011 and late 2011 15" have gotten only sandy bridge refresh and new dgpu's ; and the production cycle is done ( its been more than 9 months now ) , with high end 15" broadwell chips delayed till mid 2015 , the 950m will be out by then

My understanding is that those AMD Radeon GPUs were pin-compatible and software-compatible, so Apple didn't have to do any extra engineering.

mcarling

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2009
so the 850m would require new engineering?

I haven't compared them in my hand, but my understanding is that the 750M and 850M have different pin layouts, so it would require re-engineering the motherboard. That would add not only cost, but risk also. Can anyone confirm the pin layouts of the 750M and 850M?

Last edited:

Sifinity

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2014
Texas
I haven't compared them in my hand, but my understanding is that the 750M and 850M have different pin layouts, so it would require re-engineering the motherboard. That would add not only cost, but risk also.

they are different pin layouts ; so the chances of a 850m being in the refresh is practically none

Fraser28

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2014

Um, I'll take that bet. You come across as WAY too sure. I think that there WILL be a new discrete GPU.

----------

they are different pin layouts ; so the chances of a 850m being in the refresh is practically none

Disagree. But we'll see.

Sifinity

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2014
Texas
Um, I'll take that bet. You come across as WAY too sure. I think that there WILL be a new discrete GPU.

----------

Disagree. But we'll see.

there are different pin layouts , its a whole different architecture ; that would require apple to build a new manufacturing process for the motherboard , which apple will 95% sure won't do just for a haswell refresh ; now if it was broadwell i would agree the 850m would be in it , unless apple plans to remove dgpu completely ; i was in the same spot as you , and still am but its really about saving almost $400 now vs a .2 ghz refresh and 10% chance of an 850m

Last edited:

Atomic Walrus

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2012
The pin layout, can't believe I didn't think of that. Of course Maxwell GPUs won't have the same pin layout. The chances of Apple altering the MB just for the dGPU that's only even used in one high end model is probably near zero.

If this were a drop-in part it would be a basically free upgrade from Apple's perspective, which is what I was thinking originally for some reason. As an actual serious engineering task it's not worth it to appeal to a very small fringe market (gamers who prefer Apple laptops, people who work in very specific GPU-focused fields). I highly doubt they care about that tiny boost in MBP sales when they're about to launch a larger iPhone and make 50 billion times more money on that.

An 850M paired with an Iris Pro iGPU would create a bit of a conundrum from a certain perspective anyway. Nvidia claims their Maxwell GPUs are significantly more power efficient than Haswell generation iGPUs (I believe the line was that an 840M was ~"faster than Iris Pro while using less than half the power"). That presents a very confusing situation for the average user if it's true: Enable the dGPU to improve battery life (or go with a cheaper CPU without Iris Pro if you're the manufacturer).

Fraser28

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2014
there are different pin layouts , its a whole different architecture ; that would require apple to build a new manufacturing process for the motherboard , which apple will 95% sure won't do just for a haswell refresh ; now if it was broadwell i would agree the 850m would be in it , unless apple plans to remove dgpu completely ; i was in the same spot as you , and still am but its really about saving almost $400 now vs a .2 ghz refresh and 10% chance of an 850m

The pin layout, can't believe I didn't think of that. Of course Maxwell GPUs won't have the same pin layout. The chances of Apple altering the MB just for the dGPU that's only even used in one high end model is probably near zero.

If this were a drop-in part it would be a basically free upgrade from Apple's perspective, which is what I was thinking originally for some reason. As an actual serious engineering task it's not worth it to appeal to a very small fringe market (gamers who prefer Apple laptops, people who work in very specific GPU-focused fields). I highly doubt they care about that tiny boost in MBP sales when they're about to launch a larger iPhone and make 50 billion times more money on that.

An 850M paired with an Iris Pro iGPU would create a bit of a conundrum from a certain perspective anyway. Nvidia claims their Maxwell GPUs are significantly more power efficient than Haswell generation iGPUs (I believe the line was that an 840M was ~"faster than Iris Pro while using less than half the power"). That presents a very confusing situation for the average user if it's true: Enable the dGPU to improve battery life (or go with a cheaper CPU without Iris Pro if you're the manufacturer).

If there really is no upgrade to an 850M chip, I won't buy it. Then I'll be holding onto my 2010 MBP until next Spring's Broadwell upgrade. What a disappointment...such a drag. The 750M just isn't good enough for gaming.

psik

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
If there really is no upgrade to an 850M chip, I won't buy it. Then I'll be holding onto my 2010 MBP until next Spring's Broadwell upgrade. What a disappointment...such a drag. The 750M just isn't good enough for gaming.
So why is apple taking until October then and not releasing the refresh couple of months earlier as did with air? Just cause of Yosemite? Pure stupidity on their part and a disrespect to their fans IMO.

Sifinity

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2014
Texas
So why is apple taking until October then and not releasing the refresh couple of months earlier as did with air? Just cause of Yosemite? Pure stupidity on their part and a disrespect to their fans IMO.

it maybe september or october but , back to school is why there waiting , think like company that only wants profit and you will see why apple is delaying it

----------

out of curiosity but why are you buying a mac for gaming ; if you have a high enough budget the razer blade 14 is pretty beastly gaming laptop with an 870m

Sifinity

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2014
Texas

here if you go to this link and look at the pin placement of the two dgpu's you can clearly tell there completely different pins as one is maxwell and the other is kepler http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-850M-vs-GeForce-GT-750M , unlike the 750m and 650m which both are kepler architecture - http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GT-750M-vs-GeForce-GT-650M ; now to think of it since apple is dropping dgpu's i can kinda of see them dropping dgpu's in general cause of iris

psik

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
it maybe september or october but , back to school is why there waiting , think like company that only wants profit and you will see why apple is delaying it

----------

out of curiosity but why are you buying a mac for gaming ; if you have a high enough budget the razer blade 14 is pretty beastly gaming laptop with an 870m
Yeah..but history has it they never released anything new macbook related in September... Just makes it so unlikely...

Fraser28

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2014

I'm not buying it FOR gaming; I'm buying it because I love MBP laptops, and I'm ready for a retina screen, lighter computer, significantly increased speed and power, etc. Gaming is a sizable bonus. I don't want to spend $3,000 and get a card that is going to be majorly outclassed in a matter of months. The 850M is apparently a huge upgrade over the 750M, and I'd like to have a computer than can run the newest games on medium settings (900p, 30FPS is OK) for the next few years. It's sad having to wait until next Spring/Summer, because my 2010 MBP is really starting to show its age.

psik

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
I'm not buying it FOR gaming; I'm buying it because I love MBP laptops, and I'm ready for a retina screen, lighter computer, significantly increased speed and power, etc. Gaming is a sizable bonus. I don't want to spend $3,000 and get a card that is going to be majorly outclassed in a matter of months. The 850M is apparently a huge upgrade over the 750M, and I'd like to have a computer than can run the newest games on medium settings (900p, 30FPS is OK) for the next few years. It's sad having to wait until next Spring/Summer, because my 2010 MBP is really starting to show its age.
But you know... Sure the razor is good for gaming..but god it is windows... And I'll tell you what if windows was IMO as good as Mac I would've bought an ultrapprtable Samsung or Asus zenbook top of line.. But is not... I actually considering paying 300 for a Chromebook to wait these 6 to 7 months or less before it is ready...

And yeah the mbp just seems old or so soon to be old given the broadwell coming in December or January with such a big time improvement in display processing power battery life GPU..redesign of the Mac and so on...so I just can't freaking justify spending close to 2 k on a mbp, at this time, given that I know on a couple of months.. Boom there is something with a complete redesign and so on so forth...

Last edited:

Sifinity

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2014
Texas
But you know... Sure the razor is good for gaming..but god it is windows... And I'll tell you what if windows was IMO as good as Mac I would've bought an ultrapprtable Samsung or Asus zenbook top of line.. But is not... I actually considering paying 300 for a Chromebook to wait these 6 to 7 months or less before it is ready...

And yeah the mbp just seems old or so soon to be old given the broadwell coming in December or January with such a big time improvement in display processing power battery life GPU..redesign of the Mac and so on...so I just can't freaking justify spending close to 2 k on a mbp, at this time, given that I know on a couple of months.. Boom there is something with a complete redesign and so on so forth...

broadwell isn't coming till mid-2015 your practically going to be waiting a 9mnths or so . and over that broadwell isn't going to as significant upgrade vs haswell . if you really want that big time improvement wait for skylake is its a different architecture and not shrink of haswell

----------

only thing is and i hope it doesn't happen , that apple completely gets rid of the dgpu

psik

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
broadwell isn't coming till mid-2015 your practically going to be waiting a 9mnths or so . and over that broadwell isn't going to as significant upgrade vs haswell . if you really want that big time improvement wait for skylake is its a different architecture and not shrink of haswell

----------

only thing is and i hope it doesn't happen , that apple completely gets rid of the dgpu
Sure, maybe shorter than 9 months though but also the whole thing is going to be completely redesigned with broadwell (who wouldn't want a much nicer screen more battery life more cpu power and better design?). But yeah if it is 9 months as you say it is long you are completely right.

Sifinity

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2014
Texas
Sure, maybe shorter than 9 months though but also the whole thing is going to be completely redesigned with broadwell (who wouldn't want a much nicer screen more battery life more cpu power and better design?). But yeah if it is 9 months as you say it is long you are completely right.

don't know about the redesign , but then again anything is possible

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.