Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OzyOly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2009
Oh definitely! I'm just hoping Haswell & Broadwell aren't too drastically different (besides their speeds and power efficiency), that way I can buy the current 15" with no regrets. That, and I'm hoping to be able to edit photos with no hiccups-... alright I'll admit it, I'm also hoping to be able to play some current games on at least high settings, on a stable 30fps! ;P

I've been burnt by Apple with the iPad 1 before. 6 weeks after I bought the iPad 1, iPad 2 comes out with them new-fandangled cameras and all! >_<

Broadwell will be a big leap in power consumption and iGPU, it's unknown which dGPU apple will use in next year's rMBPs, but I'd imagine it would be a lot better than the year old chip they have at the moment.

mario-64

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2012
200 MHz will be the only update?
I was hoping that they redesign the sd card slot so you dont have to worry to brake them at tranaport. (I have a Lenovo L530 that has this better sd card slot)
It's entirely possible that they will update the GPU as well. Perhaps even other things. No one knows

johnnylarue

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2013
Broadwell will be a big leap in power consumption and iGPU, it's unknown which dGPU apple will use in next year's rMBPs, but I'd imagine it would be a lot better than the year old chip they have at the moment.

It's actually more like a 2+ year old chip at this point. The 750M is just an overclocked, re-branded 650M. The 850M is significantly more powerful, as well as being more efficient.

With seemingly so few potential improvements to draw upon for the 2014 MBP, do we dare to dream for a new dGPU? Could a yearly update really offer nothing more than a 200MHz CPU bump?

Time will tell, I suppose.

OzyOly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2009
It's actually more like a 2+ year old chip at this point. The 750M is just an overclocked, re-branded 650M. The 850M is significantly more powerful, as well as being more efficient.

With seemingly so few potential improvements to draw upon for the 2014 MBP, do we dare to dream for a new dGPU? Could a yearly update really offer nothing more than a 200MHz CPU bump?

We are just setting ourselves up for a fall. :(

Atomic Walrus

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2012

I might be crazy, but a GPU swap seems like a given to me considering how long we'll apparently be waiting for Broadwell. The 750m as you said is a really outdated GPU, and the 850m is already shipping in plenty of laptops so it's not like this is some hard-to-find future technology.

The only reason not to do this that I can think of is to make the upcoming Broadwell refresh look more impressive when it happens. 30% more efficient CPU, 50% more powerful dGPU, look at these benchmarks, etc. Considering the general public disinterest in full-size laptops at this point I'm not sure it would be worth it. The people who actually care about a machine like the MPB are the same people most likely to benefit from a faster GPU (people doing GPU computation work, gamers, anyone who works in a GPU-heavy visual arts field like 3D modeling).

johnnylarue

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2013
I might be crazy, but a GPU swap seems like a given to me considering how long we'll apparently be waiting for Broadwell. The 750m as you said is a really outdated GPU, and the 850m is already shipping in plenty of laptops so it's not like this is some hard-to-find future technology.

The only reason not to do this that I can think of is to make the upcoming Broadwell refresh look more impressive when it happens. 30% more efficient CPU, 50% more powerful dGPU, look at these benchmarks, etc. Considering the general public disinterest in full-size laptops at this point I'm not sure it would be worth it. The people who actually care about a machine like the MPB are the same people most likely to benefit from a faster GPU (people doing GPU computation work, gamers, anyone who works in a GPU-heavy visual arts field like 3D modeling).

Good points, Walrus.

Even Apple's "deep" marketing literature always keeps it relatively light/dumbed down when it comes to describing individual components, benchmarks and the like. For better or worse, I don't think they view overtly nerdy technological mumbo-jumbo as a viable way to sell anything--and they're probably right.

On the other hand, they *can* get some mileage out of a phrase like "All-Day Battery Life". But giving a minor bump to battery life this fall (i.e. in the form of a more efficient GPU) doesn't preclude them from using that phrase when Broadwell's major battery boost finally arrives next year...

Apart from cost-cutting/profit maximizing, I don't really see any advantage to withholding that juicy 850M from us eager graphics nerds.

Alfonsomac

macrumors member
May 17, 2012
I've randomly seen an old Macbook Pro update (of the same line) on everymac.com .

This model came out in February 2011 and it was quietly replaced by this one in October of the same year.

No press release, there was just a silent update on the Apple Store.
Apple boosted the CPU of 200 mhz (Sandy Bridge equipped on both models) and in this case Apple also replaced the dGPU (the early MBP had a Radeon HD 6490M with 256mb, while the late MBP had a Radeon HD 6750M with 512mb).

Then, no external differences and no connectivity ones. But they changed the dGPU (!).

I hope they are going to do the same in October.

johnnylarue

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2013
I've randomly seen an old Macbook Pro update (of the same line) on everymac.com .

This model came out in February 2011 and it was quietly replaced by this one in October of the same year.

No press release, there was just a silent update on the Apple Store.
Apple boosted the CPU of 200 mhz (Sandy Bridge on both models) and in this case Apple also replaced the dGPU (the early MBP had a Radeon HD 6490M with 256mb, while the late MBP had a Radeon HD 6750M with 512mb).

Then, no external differences and no connectivity ones. Only a silent refresh.
But they changed the dGPU.

I hope they are going to do the same in October.

Beautiful work, Alfonsomac! That's exactly the sort of precedent I was looking for.

I'm officially changing my 850M outlook to "guardedly optimistic". ;)

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2008
UK
2.5Ghz Haswell and 850m would be a nice little bump and give them some extra breathing room until a Broadwell update. And more importantly mean I can order one!

I don't think it would make sense for them not to update it. By the time Broadwell comes round there will probably be another dGPU to come.

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
2.5Ghz Haswell and 850m would be a nice little bump and give them some extra breathing room until a Broadwell update. And more importantly mean I can order one!

I don't think it would make sense for them not to update it. By the time Broadwell comes round there will probably be another dGPU to come.

That, and with a price drop and I would surely buy!

There might be a redesign in the mix as well.

I do however love the look of the current rMBP.

Having Tim Cook and Eddy Cue both say they have an amazing lineup of products coming, who knows!

Gonna be one hell of a Fall :)!

mcarling

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2009

None of us know with any certainty, but the obviously most likely scenario is that the Broadwell MBPs will use only Intel integrated GPUs. If you really want a discrete GPU, buy a top-end 15" Haswell MBP.

OzyOly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2009
None of us know with any certainty, but the obviously most likely scenario is that the Broadwell MBPs will use only Intel integrated GPUs. If you really want a discrete GPU, buy a top-end 15" Haswell MBP.

You think they would drop dGPU in favour of Iris? I can't see that happening, at least until iGPU catches up with mobile dGPU...

mario-64

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2012
You think they would drop dGPU in favour of Iris? I can't see that happening, at least until iGPU catches up with mobile dGPU...
Good point. And it isn't as if nvidia is sitting still. Regardless of how much Intel's iGPUs improve NV will always remain far ahead. However, if we do get a fall refresh with a 850/860 I'll be jumping on it...just in case Apple does decide to drop dGPU

psik

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
Hopefully the update comes in September or very early October as the worst case

OzyOly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2009
Late October according to macrumors ); http://macrumors.com/2014/07/23/os-x-yosemite-october-plus-macs/ it better have an updated GPU to 850 then if they are making us wait that long

I'm after their more portable range. My hopes of a better iGPU in the 13" have been dashed as there is none available on the latest haswell chips, so I'm just waiting for my 200MHz speed bump. If this 12" retina appears though...I may just have to get that.
Seems like we are in for a bit of a wait. What is it? 13 weeks? :(

psik

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
I'm after their more portable range. My hopes of a better iGPU in the 13" have been dashed as there is none available on the latest haswell chips, so I'm just waiting for my 200MHz speed bump. If this 12" retina appears though...I may just have to get that.
Seems like we are in for a bit of a wait. What is it? 13 weeks? :(
Lol yeah saying 13 weeks does make it seem more tolerable to wait. And yeah I understand now and totally agree with what you say. I will suffer though my 2006 32bit macbook.. Well to be honest the screen quality bothers me the most aside from some other minor problems it has... It will be tough to put up with it 13 more weeks but I'll wait as I'll feel a sucker in case an upgraded air comes or an mbp

But if I understand correctly you are saying that the most a 13" can get in terms of an update is a CPU boost, no GPU change, right? But if that's the case what possible point is there waiting for their portable pro line? Or are we waiting in case of a retina air?

GoneDrinkin

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2014
Lol yeah saying 13 weeks does make it seem more tolerable to wait. And yeah I understand now and totally agree with what you say. I will suffer though my 2006 32bit macbook.. Well to be honest the screen quality bothers me the most aside from some other minor problems it has... It will be tough to put up with it 13 more weeks but I'll wait as I'll feel a sucker in case an upgraded air comes or an mbp

But if I understand correctly you are saying that the most a 13" can get in terms of an update is a CPU boost, no GPU change, right? But if that's the case what possible point is there waiting for their portable pro line? Or are we waiting in case of a retina air?

I know. I don't know why they just can't do a silent refresh now.

I highly doubt there's a redesign coming, but they could be waiting until then to announce a new dGPU in the 15" at the tail end of an iPad press conference, so those of us wanting for the 13" get a bit shafted.

johnnylarue

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2013
Late October according to macrumors ); http://macrumors.com/2014/07/23/os-x-yosemite-october-plus-macs/ it better have an updated GPU to 850 then if they are making us wait that long

The eternal optimist in me is thinking that, now that OS X is free to download, pairing Yosemite with the release of the latest Macs/MacBooks is less important than it once was, since owners can easily upgrade their OS anytime they want.

That said, since the introduction of the Intel-based MacBook Pro in 2006, the number of new/refreshed models released during the month of September is exactly ZERO. Mid-October seems to be the norm.

psik

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
And just if I am understanding it correctly, it is only the 15" mbp that may get a new GPU the most the 13" will get is an obvious 200 MHz bumb which is really not noticeable right? And maybe some redesign...

OzyOly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2009
And just if I am understanding it correctly, it is only the 15" mbp that may get a new GPU the most the 13" will get is an obvious 200 MHz bumb which is really not noticeable right? And maybe some redesign...

You are right, the 13" update would be so minimal that people might as well buy now. I am waiting to see how this 12" turns out though (if it does come in the fall).

Sifinity

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2014
Texas
at this point the only people that should wait are the ones that plan to buy the high end 15" for the refresh

psik

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
You are right, the 13" update would be so minimal that people might as well buy now. I am waiting to see how this 12" turns out though (if it does come in the fall).
Sorry but the problem with what you are saying... Well lol we had this discussion yesterday i think, the rumors point to production of 11" and 13" sizes for october (w.r.t Qanta producing them) of course that wouldn't make sense - because we just had a mini refresh of air 11" and 13" - i think the rumors aren't quite right - either it is that its a 12" being prepped for october OR it is 11" and 13" inch being manufactured now for 2015 release...but i just cant believe the rumors saying 11" and 13" release macbook air for october..it just doesnt make any sense...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.