Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
I have to agree the responses on this thread are largely arrogant, and hind-sight is 20-20ish.

I am an expert buying on ebay and online. Yet, I do get burned. It happens.

The OP is in a good position in that he can get a refund from ebay.

The mistake with this thread is that it started. Its give so many a change to post how superior they are and nothing more. Their assumption being the OP is at fault.

Sorry but I cannot imagine anyone continuing to use Ebay especially by your own admission that you get "burned." *** happens. Yeah right. Sad really sad state of affairs in my opinion.

As far as you criticizing the other posters - everyone (including yourself) is welcome to state their personal opinions. Just because they go against your way of thinking you label them. Wrong.

thetechfixer

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2010
Canada
Honestly, this iCloud thing has caused a lot of headace for some people. But I understand why Apple did it. I bought a used iPad Mini from eBay and it came iCloud Locked, I contacted the seller and explained and the seller removed the lock within the hour, plus gave me a $25 partial refund. Contact eBay and you will be Guaranteed to get a FULL refund. Good luck

sdimas

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2014
USA
If you're going to buy electronics from eBay, make sure it is one of top rated sellers that have 100k+ feedback. Most of these sellers have a website if their own which may have cheaper prices because eBay takes an additional fee.

And always past with a credit card because you can file a charge back in case something like this happens.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Apple won't help. They can tell who owns the iPad but won't get involved.

Since the seller probably bought it at some point, and the OP paid the seller for the iPad but complains about it and there's a dispute running with eBay, Apple clearly cannot know which of the two would be the owner.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
They really should've added one more step with this activation lock - send the owner an email when your iPad is restored (or connected to iTunes in a locked state).

Oh, my iPad was stolen. Here is an email confirming the exact location where it was attempted to activated to send to the police.

octothorpe8

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2014
The only one being hostile here is YOU. I was just trying to help. I understand though that you need someone to be angry with and picked me. I get it.
No you weren't trying to "help". You were just chiming in to scold and rub salt in the wound. Your tone sucks.

Others had already offered all the information needed.

joshkhaos1

Suspended
Jul 24, 2014
I had this situation happen to me and it was horrible. I had a 2009 Macbook Pro that we weren't using anymore and were trying to sell online, and I had someone contact me and ask to trade for a 128 gig iPad 4th gen WITH LTE. The guy seemed really nice and said he just didn't need the iPad and needed a Macbook, so it seemed like a good trade. I met with the guy and swapped the items (looked over the iPad but didnt go through the whole activation), and we left. 2 mins later I realized it was in activation lock, and was never able to get ahold of the seller again. Phone calls would never go through, and texts were ignored or never delivered (I think he was using Burner on his phone.)

So I basically gave away a 2009 Macbook Pro :mad: ...My wife was NOT pleased, lol.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
In future do my homework?? Buying an iPad is no different than buying anything off eBay that is sent through the post. There is no "homework" I can do when it's not right in front of me that will benefit me, apart from what I did. I'm 36 yrs old, I'm not stupid but not psychic either!

Curious to see how this turned out for you?

This happened to a friend of mine a few weeks ago, but in his case it was just a non-tech savvy seller who didnt even know about this feature and never turned it off or restored his iPad. My friend got lucky as the person responded right away, was very apologetic and gave my friend his password to unlock over the phone, then just changed their iCloud password to something else after it was done.

I think this is a great initiative by Apple but things like this are going to happen to honest people who aren't crooks, but just not tech-savvy. when you turn on find my iphone from the activation screen I dont think it really explains that you have to turn this off in order to restore, so unless you are aware of this feature you wouldn't know.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Why do some people just MESS other people around?? eBay is just full of them lately. Thanks for the advice

As long as there are people who do not know better there will ALWAYS be people to "MESS with other people"

Things have changed now and buying a used iPhone can reslut in it being locked when you get it or locked at any time after.

----------

No you weren't trying to "help". You were just chiming in to scold and rub salt in the wound. Your tone sucks.

Others had already offered all the information needed.

You might want to check your OWN "tone"!:rolleyes:

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Raise a claim asap.

The seller has an opportunity to respond. If they cannot provide the unlock code or will not accept a return so they can reset it, Ebay will side with the buyer.

----------

Apple won't help. They can tell who owns the iPad but won't get involved.

No they cannot. If they did that, they would be up for breaking privacy.

Would you want apple giving out your details to a stranger ?

joshdammit

Suspended
Mar 6, 2013
He had good feedback, had sold an iPhone with good feedback. Its a mystery why he won't answer my emails. Not everybody who hasn't sold gadgets, traded for years on ebay is a crook. Everybody has to start somewhere and i have bought plenty on ebay that has turned out perfect. You take a very dim view on life if everything has to be so clear cut. Its all in hand now as I've filed a paypal claim.

I think you like to hear yourself talk! You come across very arrogant , which just makes people cringe! Having read some of your other posts such as...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisakixMikasa View Post
I think my point is very clear. You cannot simply do everything on iPad and you cannot have the portability like iPad with MacBook Air. T.

No. Just no. If the iPad doesn't work for you, that's fine. That doesn't give you the right to make sweeping generalizations that it doesn't work, period, and sure doesn't give you the right to flat out lie about the functionality of certain apps like you did.

Everyone uses their devices differently. "Do everything" has very different meanings as a result. For some, the iPad can indeed do everything, for others, they still need a laptop for some tasks. That is what you need to understand.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your speaking like you are the high and mighty and you are implicitly correct. Thats your opinion , your not god. You speak down to people and it looks silly.

Matt

Actually, he's right - you should have done your homework. You clearly didn't even know what Activation Lock is, judging from your post here, you didn't bother with due diligence on what you should ask about when buying a previously-owned iPad on eBay. If you had known about Activation Lock, perhaps you could have asked the seller to show you a picture of the iPad turned on. You walked blindly into this transaction. Instead of ranting hysterically at people like an defensive, emotional, middle-aged housewife on Facebook, perhaps you could've asked politely what homework you should do moving forward.

You had no trouble researching that other poster's comments, so maybe use that motivation to enrich your own knowledge, rather than giving people trying to help a hard time.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Just curious: After contacting eBay for a refund, shouldn't the OP contact Apple so they can reunite the iPad with its real owner?

No, after getting a refund the OP should return what they purchased to the seller. This has nothing to do with Apple. If the iPad was legit and the seller forgot to remove the activation lock, they can remove the activation lock and sell it again.

----------

He had good feedback, had sold an iPhone with good feedback. Its a mystery why he won't answer my emails. Not everybody who hasn't sold gadgets, traded for years on ebay is a crook. Everybody has to start somewhere and i have bought plenty on ebay that has turned out perfect. You take a very dim view on life if everything has to be so clear cut. Its all in hand now as I've filed a paypal claim.

It's quite possible that you got an honest seller you forgot that you need to remove the activation lock before selling an iPad, and who went on holiday just at the time you received the iPad. That kind of thing happens.

Since you need to have the AppleID and password to remove activation lock, the seller, if contacted, could ask you to return the iPad and send it back to you unlocked, or tell you the AppleID and password so you unlock it yourself (that would be dangerous, because then you have his AppleID and password).

It would probably be best for everyone if eBay sent an email explaining this to everyone selling iOS devices.

Instead of ranting hysterically at people like an defensive, emotional, middle-aged housewife on Facebook, perhaps you could've asked politely what homework you should do moving forward.

You are really crossing a line here that shouldn't be crossed.

Last edited:

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Hi,

Ive bought an iPad mini (non retina) off ebay. Its been delivered and its activation locked. Ive tried contacting the seller and am getting no reply. How the hell do i get it to change over to my id?

Matt

Was curious how this turned out for you. Did you ever get a response back from the seller or did Ebay have to follow through with claim to get it resolved for you. TIA.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Since you need to have the AppleID and password to remove activation lock, the seller, if contacted, could ask you to return the iPad and send it back to you unlocked, or tell you the AppleID and password so you unlock it yourself (that would be dangerous, because then you have his AppleID and password).

No need to send the iPad back or give out your ID and password. The seller can log into their iCloud account from a web browser and disable the activation kick from there.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5661

Macs4u

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 19, 2008
Stoke on Trent
Actually, he's right - you should have done your homework. You clearly didn't even know what Activation Lock is, judging from your post here, you didn't bother with due diligence on what you should ask about when buying a previously-owned iPad on eBay. If you had known about Activation Lock, perhaps you could have asked the seller to show you a picture of the iPad turned on. You walked blindly into this transaction. Instead of ranting hysterically at people like an defensive, emotional, middle-aged housewife on Facebook, perhaps you could've asked politely what homework you should do moving forward.

You had no trouble researching that other poster's comments, so maybe use that motivation to enrich your own knowledge, rather than giving people trying to help a hard time.

How old are you?? You sound like a child.

----------

Was curious how this turned out for you. Did you ever get a response back from the seller or did Ebay have to follow through with claim to get it resolved for you. TIA.

Got no response. Got my money back through ebay.

RightMACatU

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2012
Why do some people just MESS other people around?? eBay is just full of them lately. Thanks for the advice

I've stopped buying from eBay about two years ago. Too much fraud and beside IMO it's by far the most expensive online "store". I've always found a better price elsewhere.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
Don't email. Unless you're using eBay's messaging, your email may not be reaching the buyer.

Instead, as you have a buying contract with the seller, request his user information. eBay will then provide you with his phone number. Call him.
I'd bet dollar to donuts if you do you will have your issue resolved within minutes.

Generally a good seller wouldn't even attempt to offer a bogus iPad as the refund process with eBay/Paypal is overly friendly and liberal on the side of the buyer.

mdhwoods

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2008
Wow, "do your homework, you should have known better." You guys are getting more and more harsh as time goes on.

This guy bought a device on good faith. It was listed and there is no reason to think it was not legit. With the ability to back charge through ebay or paypal why would someone try to sell something like this on ebay knowing the money is going to be taken back. I can understand this happening on craigs list.

Op got burned by a low life trying to get something for nothing. It happens and will continue to happen as long as there are people that do not want to work for anything.

Glad you got your money back. Don't let the haters on here get you down.

Macs4u

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 19, 2008
Stoke on Trent
Wow, "do your homework, you should have known better." You guys are getting more and more harsh as time goes on.

This guy bought a device on good faith. It was listed and there is no reason to think it was not legit. With the ability to back charge through ebay or paypal why would someone try to sell something like this on ebay knowing the money is going to be taken back. I can understand this happening on craigs list.

Op got burned by a low life trying to get something for nothing. It happens and will continue to happen as long as there are people that do not want to work for anything.

Glad you got your money back. Don't let the haters on here get you down.

Hi,

Thanks for the message. Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks i did nothing wrong really. Life is full of people who try and jump on somebody for doing something that should be completely normal.

Matt :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.