Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

p1rate chris

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2013
Next month my young family and I will be travelling on a well deserved holiday. Unfortunately this involves a 7 hr drive... To help preserve the sanity of my wife and I, we are thinking of buying an iPad mini or similar android device. A 1st gen mini is available for £275 with education discount (inc €35 iTunes voucher, good enough for the kids), a 32 gig 2nd gen (better for me and my wife) for €455 (inc €35 iTunes voucher) or a recon 32 gig 2nd gen for €409 (without €35 iTunes voucher). Alternatively a kindle fire hd (€160 for 16gig) "would do" for the holiday. My wife would prefer I buy the most affordable option but accepts I prefer the Apple ecosystem. Note, later this year I will be buying an iPhone 6 to replace my 4 and I would also like to buy myself a 2nd gen air or 3rd gen mini. Opinions please!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think the iPad environment is richer and better suited. I'd opt for the iPad, bring a battery backup to charge the iPad while using it, if you're worried about it running out of juice during the trip

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
If you have Amazon Prime, then I would suggest the Kindle Fire HD as you can download free movies and TV shows to the Fire and it's all part of the Prime membership.

Mechayoshi

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2014
The Mushroom Kingdom
They could be "fine" with the Kindle. There's tons of kids apps and it made to be simple like an iPad. The Amazon store frequently have sales and deals on apps.

As for your future ipad, I would wait if u like the idea of touch Id.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
If you have Amazon Prime, then I would suggest the Kindle Fire HD as you can download free movies and TV shows to the Fire and it's all part of the Prime membership.
I think this might be country specific so I'd look into that first. If this feature is available and you're already subscribed to Prime, I reckon the Kindle would make a decent stopgap and should save you from buying a lot of content. Just use the funds saved for the next gen iPad when it gets released around Oct/Nov.

p1rate chris

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2013
Thanks for your suggestions. I live in Germany and do have amazon prime, so maybe the fire hd makes more sense...

RickTaylor

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2013
But Amazon Prime won't let you download TV Shows or Movies for later viewing on iOS or Android. It's only for the Kindle Fire HD/HDX. ;)

According to this page, you can't download prime videos to your Kindle either; you can only stream theme.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?docId=1000742241

I own an iPad; I've downloaded videos I've purchased and streamed prime videos without any trouble. I understand you can borrow books from the kindle lending library only you have a Kindle, but aside from that, I'm not sure what a Kindle can do that an iPad can't.

If you prefer the Apple ecosystem, I would certainly go for an iPad over a kindle. The original mini is still a highly capable machine, but the second generation mini will probably remain viable longer.

mattbaar26

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2013
Since you said you are likely getting a 3rd gen mini or air when they are released, I would suggest getting a first gen mini refurb or used. You can get them quite cheap now and I doubt your kids will notice the screen quality issue or not care.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
Thanks for your suggestions. I live in Germany and do have amazon prime, so maybe the fire hd makes more sense...
Saturn recently had the mini1 16gb + lte for 299,-. There is all kinds of sales for the old mini going on.
Check mediamarkts and saturns night sales, too.

Or look here: asgoodasnew.com basically a refurb store with 30day return policy + 30 months warranty!

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
According to this page, you can't download prime videos to your Kindle either; you can only stream theme.

I own an iPad; I've downloaded videos I've purchased and streamed prime videos without any trouble. I understand you can borrow books from the kindle lending library only you have a Kindle, but aside from that, I'm not sure what a Kindle can do that an iPad can't.

If you prefer the Apple ecosystem, I would certainly go for an iPad over a kindle. The original mini is still a highly capable machine, but the second generation mini will probably remain viable longer.

Nope, not true. I have a 1st Gen Kindle Fire HD and with the new OS update I can now download or stream TV Shows or Movies to my device. I've downloaded several TV Shows and movies to my KF HD for offline viewing. The only catch is once you start the viewing you have either 48/72 hours to finish watching or you'll need to resync the device with Amazon.

p1rate chris

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2013
Saturn recently had the mini1 16gb + lte for 299,-. There is all kinds of sales for the old mini going on.
Check mediamarkts and saturns night sales, too.

Or look here: asgoodasnew.com basically a refurb store with 30day return policy + 30 months warranty!

I checked out MediaMarkt briefly but not Saturn. Thanks for the link, looks very interesting!

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013

Sure you can. That's outdated info, probably.

Prime Instant Video Downloads
NEW—Prime members can now download over half of our collection of Prime Instant Video movies and TV shows to Kindle Fire HD and Kindle Fire HDX tablets. Watch downloaded videos anywhere—on a plane, on vacation, in the car, or wherever you don't have a wireless connection. Prime Instant Video is the only U.S. online video subscription streaming service that offers offline viewing, and it's included at no additional cost.

Caveat, OP needs to check if this is available in Germany, too.

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
Amazon Fire HD is for your wife and kids if she likes to read during long trip and kids can watch cartoon movies? I don't know how much Amazon Prime movie rental cost vs iTunes movie rental? rMini 2 is for yourself. Anyway hope you have a wonderful vacation. :apple:

p1rate chris

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2013
Once again, thanks for all the comments. A friend of mine has a kindle hd so I might take a look.

I am still undecided.

A recon mini 1st gen would "do", but they run to €200 for pretty old tech (Apple products do hold their value). On the other hand a 16 gig kindle fire hd is €160 (with ads), which is close enough to the cost of a recon mini to make me think twice... A second hand 16 gig mini 2 is €300, so for €100 more than the mini 1 I get the current version.

Of course, in all of this I still must consider my wife's point of view.....:rolleyes:

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I don't know how much Amazon Prime movie rental cost vs iTunes movie rental?
Amazon Prime Instant Video is included with a Prime subscription in the US. If you're already a Prime subscriber (e.g. for 2-day shipping), then it's effectively a freebie. This is the only reason I'd even suggest buying the Kindle HD as it can save quite a bit of funds buying/renting content or streaming video over 3G at $15/GB (typical overage fee for AT&T and Verizon in the US).

If the OP is not a Prime subscriber or if the offline video feature is not available in his country or if he has unlimited data, then I'd definitely go for the iPad Mini (either version). To be honest, I doubt the kids would even care if it's retina or not so you can probably go with the recon Mini. One of my nieces is getting my aunt's 3-year old iPad 2 and she's really excited about it. By the way, she calls her dad's Nexus 7 (2012) an iPad, too. :p

Last edited:

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
I have both an iPad Air (my 4th iPad) and a Kindle Fire. I travel a lot and the option for Prime members to download and view the instant videos offline was my deciding factor between a Fire and a Mini.

My 7 year-old granddaughter love my Fire. There are a lot of games she loves. But then she also loves my Air.

If the option to download and view offline Instant Videos is not available to you (I note that you're in Germany) then my suggestion would be to go for the Mini. That way you stay in the same ecosystem.

I'm not a big Apple lover. I actually buy all my content (books and video/TV) from Amazon. But the kindle OS is a flat out mess. It's really good at what I bought it for - instant video and books. Other than that I simply don't use it. While I usually upgrade my iPad every year I will not be buying another piece of Amazon hardware. I'm sure the Fire I have will last me for several years and by then I won't be traveling so much or I'll find something else to occupy myself.

Sorry for the long post. In my opinion, buy the Mini. You'll be happier in the long run.

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
Amazon Prime Instant Video is included with a Prime subscription in the US. If you're already a Prime subscriber (e.g. for 2-day shipping), then it's effectively a freebie. This is the only reason I'd even suggest buying the Kindle HD as it can save quite a bit of funds buying/renting content or streaming video over 3G at $15/GB (typical overage fee for AT&T and Verizon in the US).

If the OP is not a Prime subscriber or if the offline video feature is not available in his country or if he has unlimited data, then I'd definitely go for the iPad Mini (either version). To be honest, I doubt the kids would even care if it's retina or not so you can probably go with the recon Mini. One of my nieces is getting my aunt's 3-year old iPad 2 and she's really excited about it. By the way, she calls her dad's Nexus 7 (2012) an iPad, too. :p

I have used Prime subscription for 30 days few months ago I decided to cancel it because I already have Netflix so no reasons to keep both. I sometime buy some stuff from Amazon but I prefer eBay anyway. :apple:

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
OP, since you are planning on joining the iOS ecosystem anyway I would say you should pick up the first generation Mini. Just grab it from wherever you can get the best deal. For your kids it'll be fine because they're not going to notice the lack of retina screen or care which processor it's running. They'll just be happy to have a new toy to play with. Plus any apps or content you purchase for their Mini can also be downloaded again for free once you get your new iPad/iPhone later this year.

Is that a standard warranty? I wish we had standard warranties like that here in the US.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
Is that a standard warranty? I wish we had standard warranties like that here in the US.
By law warranty in the EU is 24 months.
After 6months you need to prove that the error is due to a construction fault.

Asgoodasnew.com just gives 30months as part of their deal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.