Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
FB app is killing me.

Between my phone and my wife's we've eaten up almost 7.3GB of our 8GB quota.

That's after upping it from 6GB to 8GB, a week before the end of my billing cycle.

To put it another way, in one week, where we were just under the 6GB threshold, we chewed up over 1.3GB of usage. Looking at the phone, apps, usage, all signs point to the Facebook app. Neither one of use use youtube and are on wifi most of the time but it seems FB is using cellular. I turned off all notifications on the phone and FB account on my wife's phone, hopefully that solves the issue.

I'm not a happy camper right now.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
FB app is killing me.

Between my phone and my wife's we've eaten up almost 7.3GB of our 8GB quota.

That's after upping it from 6GB to 8GB, a week before the end of my billing cycle.

To put it another way, in one week, where we were just under the 6GB threshold, we chewed up over 1.3GB of usage. Looking at the phone, apps, usage, all signs point to the Facebook app. Neither one of use use youtube and are on wifi most of the time but it seems FB is using cellular. I turned off all notifications on the phone and FB account on my wife's phone, hopefully that solves the issue.

I'm not a happy camper right now.
Very odd. Both I and my wife use Facebook a lot throughout the day and have never seen it amount to much as far as our data usage. We are on WiFi here and there (especially at home), but also on cellular quite a bit.

scapegoat81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2012
Philly
Did you also switch off the background app refresh with FB? My understanding is that FB constantly updates itself, unless you have that option toggled off. I find the background updating totally useless, since it's not a huge wait for the FB feeds to update when I open the app.

It seems that lately, they've made numerous changes that burn through data like crazy (most notably, the video auto-play, which you cannot turn off).

This is exactly why I came to this thread. Background App Refresh is completely off in Settings/General/Background App Refresh. But if I go into fb's actual settings in Settings/Facebook/Settings, the Background App Refresh toggle is set to On without being able to turn off. Anyone able to turn this off??

lke

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2009
Imagine if they can do that what other things that app can do.

Maybe it record all your gps info and send to their servers, maybe it take photos of you and more.

It is scary to have facebook on a phone I choose to delete it and have better battery life.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Imagine if they can do that what other things that app can do.

Maybe it record all your gps info and send to their servers, maybe it take photos of you and more.

It is scary to have facebook on a phone I choose to delete it and have better battery life.
They can do what?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.