Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Greyhounds

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2014
So the 5770 has 2 @ MDP and a DVI?

Yep. That is the card, I had to get 2 active mini display port adapters to run all three monitors. (The apple branded mini display port to dvi adapters are passive adapters and only one at a time can be run off that card. Using active adapters fixes that.)

The card looks normal running under Mavericks. Still not sure if the incorrect label implies any loss of functionality under Yosemite or not.

Attachments

• Video.jpg
    Video.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 184

MacDann

macrumors 6502a
Most people say to "Stay away from the 1,1s!" but for $100, that's a great buy. Sure, it will need some upgrades, and of course a new video card in order to run Yosemite, but if a 1,1 runs Yosemite the way mine runs Mavericks, that's a great purchase, imho. Especially with 8GB of RAM.

Agreed.

I bought my Mac Pro 1,1 a year ago for $400. It already had a 128GB SSD for the boot drive, but I got the memory up to 14GB and applied the 2,1 patch, after which I installed a pair of 5355 processors.

Recently I replaced the 7300GT with an ATI 5870 and used Tiamo's stuff and SFOTT to get Mavericks installed. It runs great and everything works.

I'm thinking I have about $700 total invested in it and I get the performance of a fairly new machine.

Do it. You won't regret it.

Dan

Graeme43

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2006
Great Britain (Glasgow)
-f can be used in your org.chameleon.Boot.plist as a kernel flag or when booting you can also apply it there by just typing -f before you select which partition to boot.

Seems to be fine after clearing kernel cache :eek: Wasn't booting with verbose so I couldn't see what the error was. It just came up with an access denied symbol and -f cleared it until i cleared the cache

I'm still using chameleon 2380. Wonder if i should up it to the 2390s builds

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
Seems to be fine after clearing kernel cache :eek: Wasn't booting with verbose so I couldn't see what the error was. It just came up with an access denied symbol and -f cleared it until i cleared the cache

I'm still using chameleon 2380. Wonder if i should up it to the 2390s builds

I haven't had any luck with any of the newer builds. Only the official 2380 has worked for me.

If you ever need to boot into verbose mode just type -v.

Greyhounds

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2014
Agreed.

I bought my Mac Pro 1,1 a year ago for $400. It already had a 128GB SSD for the boot drive, but I got the memory up to 14GB and applied the 2,1 patch, after which I installed a pair of 5355 processors.

Recently I replaced the 7300GT with an ATI 5870 and used Tiamo's stuff and SFOTT to get Mavericks installed. It runs great and everything works.

I'm thinking I have about $700 total invested in it and I get the performance of a fairly new machine.

Do it. You won't regret it.

Dan

Buying a Mac Pro 1,1 at this point is a matter of how much the extra trouble of running the latest OS is going bother you, and your alternatives.

I've had my Pro 1,1 since 2011 now. I think all told I am into it for $1000 now. Upgraded video, RAM, cpu, SSD - But all of those upgrades were under $200 by the time I did them. Plus the original cost of my machine. So for $1000 and learning to deal with the 32 bit EFI - I am happy. I just attached my specs which I finally have displaying properly in 10.10 DP1 (except it now shows as a 3,1 - It was originally a 2.66 quad core 1,1)

Sure, I'd rather have a 6,1 - But that is wildly out of my budget. A 3,1 or higher and it would save you a lot of modern OS trouble, but it's going to cost you a lot more $$ up front.

But dollar for dollar, I'd much rather have this machine than any recent used mac mini or iMac. Just my $0.02

Attachments

• DP1.jpg
    DP1.jpg
    446.3 KB · Views: 248

Greyhounds

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2014
Does anyone know if we can download the Beta on a 1,1? I know you can't download Mavericks installer on a 1,1...

I downloaded the beta using my 1,1 booted into 10.10 DP1, so maybe if you are already running it, it doesn't block you for using an incompatible system? Then again, when I am booted into DP1, my mac seems to think it is a 3,1.

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
I downloaded the beta using my 1,1 booted into 10.10 DP1, so maybe if you are already running it, it doesn't block you for using an incompatible system? Then again, when I am booted into DP1, my mac seems to think it is a 3,1.

Once running 10.10 using chameleon you can update through the App Store just fine. Your computer thinks it is a 3,1 because of the values in the smbios.plist file. They can be changed to reflect a 1,1 machine or any machine for that matter. It has to be a 3,1 or higher to run the initial installer though.

NOTNlCE

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
Baltimore, MD
For those wondering, my 1,1 running Mavericks via Tiamo's boot.efi was NOT able to download my Yosemite Beta through the App Store.

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
For those wondering, my 1,1 running Mavericks via Tiamo's boot.efi was NOT able to download my Yosemite Beta through the App Store.

Correct because it is a 1,1. With Tiamos boot.efi the machine is properly identified. You could create a chameleon boot partition and boot your existing Mavericks install using a 3,1 smbios.plist but I wouldn't install Yosemite over your mavericks install right now.

gpatpandp

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2010
I am not able to get ANY version (including 2.2svn-r2380) of Chameleon to boot the Public Beta release.

Greyhounds

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2014
I am not able to get ANY version (including 2.2svn-r2380) of Chameleon to boot the Public Beta release.

I tried and failed as well with the beta, though I am no expert with Chameleon (everything I know came from this thread! Thank you very much again!)

I was happy to see that using the Hennesie PDF instructions, and repeatedly reinstalling chameleon at all the necessary times, and reusing my custom "Extra" folder I got through all of the DP updates using "Software Update".
(though I had to keep deleting a mach kernel file that kept creating itself, I think when I reinstalled chameleon)

I still have to keep using graphics enable = No, even with the custom dsdt.aml file that was posted for my radeon card. I don't honestly know what exactly "=No" does, though the graphics seem to be running properly even when running a graphics intensive game.

iMessage is still not working properly. And sound mysteriously cuts out using one game, but all in all things seem to be pretty stable. I am hoping they add a version of their new photo software that is replacing iphoto and aperture soon. Going to see how well Lightroom 5.5 runs in the meantime.

Thanks again for all of the help getting this far.

Attachments

• DP4.jpg
    DP4.jpg
    423.6 KB · Views: 173

gpatpandp

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2010
I tried and failed as well with the beta, though I am no expert with Chameleon (everything I know came from this thread! Thank you very much again!)

I was happy to see that using the Hennesie PDF instructions, and repeatedly reinstalling chameleon at all the necessary times, and reusing my custom "Extra" folder I got through all of the DP updates using "Software Update".
(though I had to keep deleting a mach kernel file that kept creating itself, I think when I reinstalled chameleon)

I still have to keep using graphics enable = No, even with the custom dsdt.aml file that was posted for my radeon card. I don't honestly know what exactly "=No" does, though the graphics seem to be running properly even when running a graphics intensive game.

iMessage is still not working properly. And sound mysteriously cuts out using one game, but all in all things seem to be pretty stable. I am hoping they add a version of their new photo software that is replacing iphoto and aperture soon. Going to see how well Lightroom 5.5 runs in the meantime.

Thanks again for all of the help getting this far.

Admittedly, it took me completely by surprise that absolutely no version of Chameleon boots the Public Beta release (which by the way is indeed it's own incremental update and not just a packaged disk image version of DP1 2, 3, & 4) as updating to DP4 via the App Store went without any issue whatsoever. Regarding chameleon, it should be of no comfort to anyone in our position that since 2.2svn-r2380, none of the newer Chameleon releases have booted OS X 10.10 successfully on the unsupported Mac Pro. Prior to Yosemite this aspect never existed before as once a Chameleon version worked it was a forgone conclusion that they all would. In my humble opinion, I am not totally convinced that Yosemite can be considered as "in the bag" for our unsupported Mac Pro's.

Clover on the other hand continues to boot OS X 10.10 consistently. It however also continues to be flawed with being unable to recognize the ODD SATA ports as well as it's inability to natively load audio and the Apple HDA.kext.

Depending on your priorities (having everything on one drive (BOOT, Install, OS System) versus full graphics acceleration/quartz extreme), if you were to instead install your "BOOT" on second internal drive formatted in MBR, you would be able to include "GraphicsEnabler = Yes" in your org.chameleon.Boot.plist.

Greyhounds

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2014
Depending on your priorities (having everything on one drive (BOOT, Install, OS System) versus full graphics acceleration/quartz extreme), if you were to instead install your "BOOT" on second internal drive formatted in MBR, you would be able to include "GraphicsEnabler = Yes" in your org.chameleon.Boot.plist.

One drive isn't a deal breaker for me.

But I am not totally clear, are you saying I could use the same procedure (the pdf) but just by creating the boot on a second physical drive formatted MBR I would fix the "GraphicsEnabler = Yes"? Or is there something else I need to change as well?

I am also unclear about exactly what I am losing with "GraphisEnable=No". I haven't been using any sort of graphics benchmarking. But Diablo III for example plays just fine with "=No"

richgoga

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2013

Chameleon r2380 boots the Public Beta just fine for me.

I did a clean install using Clover first to get iMessage & FaceTime working, then reverted to Chameleon for audio.

No problems so far. I'll be trying newer releases of Cameleon later today.

Graeme43

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2006
Great Britain (Glasgow)
Glad I asked about newer Chameleons before updating :apple: Will stick with 2380

Anyone else getting random reboots? I check the log and it just goes dead. No KP or anything similar. I woke up one day and my Mac was sitting at Chameleon screen so I thought there had been a power cut but my Mac has done it 3 times since.

The screens were asleep and the Mac just chimed. It restarted itself :( Happens less than once a week but its only been doing it on 10.10. One time I caught it happening when I was using it. Hoping its just a bug like safari tabs not showing on mine.

I used a core 2 duo 2008 MBP to update my 10.9.4 to 10.10

gpatpandp

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2010
Chameleon r2380 boots the Public Beta just fine for me.

I did a clean install using Clover first to get iMessage & FaceTime working, then reverted to Chameleon for audio.

No problems so far. I'll be trying newer releases of Cameleon later today.

might I know the graphics card you are using ?

richgoga

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2013
might I know the graphics card you are using ?

It's an unflashed Gainward GeForce GTX 570 1280 MB.

I'm guessing it's working in my favour that the card is more Hack than Mac.

I wish I could help more, but all I've done is follow the guides written by users who are much smarter than me... and been lucky.

At least hope remains.

On that note, does anyone know who Tiamo is? I'd happily send a donation, if he/she is continuing to work on a fix for Yosemite. The Mavericks fix was just perfect in every way.

Whilst part of me loves the continuing challenge of keeping this old Mac running, I'd rather have it "just work" and it seems Tiamo is the only one capable of coming close.

gpatpandp

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2010
It's an unflashed Gainward GeForce GTX 570 1280 MB.

I'm guessing it's working in my favour that the card is more Hack than Mac.

I wish I could help more, but all I've done is follow the guides written by users who are much smarter than me... and been lucky.

At least hope remains.

On that note, does anyone know who Tiamo is? I'd happily send a donation, if he/she is continuing to work on a fix for Yosemite. The Mavericks fix was just perfect in every way.

Whilst part of me loves the continuing challenge of keeping this old Mac running, I'd rather have it "just work" and it seems Tiamo is the only one capable of coming close.

Oh no worries...shortly after I posted early this morning, I was able to boot the Yosemite Beta with Chameleon-2.2svn-r2380. The caveat being that it will not boot with either GraphicsEnabler = Yes or the new dsdt furnished here specifically for the ATI Radeon 5770 HD graphics card. That aspect is really ticking me off as I purchased it thinking that graphics wise I was set for the life of the machine and that is looking doubtful. Mine is the stinking overpriced genuine Apple card by the way.

I believe I have eluded to this before however to reiterate, while I think I enjoy the initial challenge, having to "reinvent the wheel" after every single release for me at least is becoming a real drag. I in fact made a disconcerting realization today; since Yosemite I have done very little computing/creating on my Mac Pro and in my opinion that is not cool.

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
My guide is for a Mac Pro with an updated graphics card. I'm sorry but I can't really support you because I have no way of testing your configuration. It could be that the DSDT.aml file is incompatible or could be other driver/kext issues that are part of Yosemite.

My original Mountain Lion and then Mavericks were using Chameleon, so I have some experience with it prior to using Tiamo's boot.efi. I never had trouble bringing up those systems.

I have spent hours trying to exactly follow this recipe plus one describing Clover using an internal drive but also a USB stick (Clover). I remove all my other installations (otherwise, it defaults back to Windows 7). But I always end up with no bootable drive found.

Could my USB 3 or SATA card be the culprits? Any other suggestions?

Greyhounds

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2014
Could my USB 3 or SATA card be the culprits? Any other suggestions?[/QUOTE]

Personally I cannot get any of this to work unless I use the "sled" hard drive slots with my SSD. Even the motherboard SATA port would not boot.

----------

Oh no worries...shortly after I posted early this morning, I was able to boot the Yosemite Beta with Chameleon-2.2svn-r2380. The caveat being that it will not boot with either GraphicsEnabler = Yes or the new dsdt furnished here specifically for the ATI Radeon 5770 HD graphics card. That aspect is really ticking me off as I purchased it thinking that graphics wise I was set for the life of the machine and that is looking doubtful. Mine is the stinking overpriced genuine Apple card by the way.

I believe I have eluded to this before however to reiterate, while I think I enjoy the initial challenge, having to "reinvent the wheel" after every single release for me at least is becoming a real drag. I in fact made a disconcerting realization today; since Yosemite I have done very little computing/creating on my Mac Pro and in my opinion that is not cool.

You and I are running that same overpriced apple branded card. But I'm still not sure how bad "graphicsenable = no" is. I ran the heaven benchmarks and 10.10 DP4, with =no was slightly faster than my tiamo efi mavericks install. Is that benchmark software any good?

Mr. Zarniwoop

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2005
GraphicsEnabler = Yes
Do you have QE/CI working? If so, then you don't need GraphicsEnabler=Yes.

GraphicsEnabler=Yes is only necessary so Chameleon "injects" initiation code for certain incompatible cards that won't otherwise properly initialize. Real Apple cards with EFI in a real Apple Mac don't need this, and cards that have initialization code in the Apple Kexts also don't need it:

GraphicsEnabler=No
All ATI/AMD Radeon 5xxx, 6xxx, 7xxx, Rx-200
NVIDIA GeForce 640+, 7xx, TITAN

GraphicsEnabler=Yes
ATI Radeon 4xxx
NVIDIA GeForce 9xxx, 2xx, 4xx, 5xx
NVIDIA GeForce 610-630

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.