Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LippyThunder

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2014
So I need help deciding between these two, I have to make the purchase within the next month.

There's only a difference of $40 between them on Apple's Canadian Store site.
As far as I can tell, these are the pros for each side:

2012:
- 650M dGPU

2013:
- Better battery life
- Thunderbolt 2
- 802.11ac
- PCIe SSD

Do I have it right or is there something missing?

Also, I wanted to know if there are any known issues with refurbished rMBP such as screen problems or whatnot?

Thanks in advance.

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
If you need the discreet GPU for gaming, you would be better off with the 2012 model. If gaming is not a consideration, the newer MBP would be a better choice for the reasons you outlined.

thetechfixer

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2010
Canada
Personally since the Newer 2013 one has a PCIE SSD it will be much faster. Only go with the 2012 if you really need that Discrete GPU but most likely you won't

LippyThunder

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2014
Yeah, that's what I'm trying to decide. I'm moving from a desktop used for software development and gaming to a laptop + PS4 setup. So I guess the laptop will be mainly used for software development with some light gaming on the side, the 2013 model's Iris Pro should cope with that right?

Also, would the newer model have better resale value?

christarp

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2013
The 5200 (iris pro) graphics are pretty darn fast as well. I know in some compute tests the iris pro can reach parity with the 650m, but for stuff like games the 650m will reign supreme. That being said since you have a ps4 and will probably be using your mac for development I can see the 2013 model being perfectly fine.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
MBPs are really known for gaming and if that's one of your requirements then I'd think (depending on the type of games you play), the dGPU is a must.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.