Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
iPhone user or just not use to the size of the phone?

I'm actually bit of everything as anyone here who hangs around in this forum will attest.

I'm just not enjoying the device or the feel in hand.

I also have a Lumia 1020, Lumia 930, HTC M8 & Samsung Galaxy S5. I've also had the Note 3 & Lumia 1520 this year...

The OnePlus is a mighty fast device but I just don't like how it feels in my hand. It feels bigger than other devices I've had but somehow the ergonomics of it just aren't doing it for me.

Indeed compared to my Lumia 930 bought day after getting my OnePlus One this difference in size in had us tremendous. The 930 is smaller than the S5, the 1+1 is noticeably bigger, yet screen size doesn't feel as big as the bezels and chins....

It's mighty thin, but for me it doesn't sit in my hand like the others.

It's just not doing it for me (rocking my world) on any level.... Any level......

I think for me 4.7-5.1" is the ideal screen size, and the slimmer they can close the width more so than height the better it feels in my hand. I have no trouble with my M8, but the oneplus requires hand gynamstics one handed....

I appreciate the 1+1 is a tremendous value for money phone, I just don't personally like it.......

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
The thing I don't like about this device is that feeling that I would be playing the lottery to see if I get a perfect screen.

I remember this happening with the Nexus 10 and the light bleed, for example, or the Nexus 7 2013 with it's touchscreen issue. Oh, and also with the iMac 27 2009.

Considering how much we're paying we shouldn't have to go through this stuff. I had to sell my G2 because of its terrible GPS and cell reception. Lost money because of that and I don't want to gamble again on the OnePlus, despite how attractive the device is due to its price, but I shouldn't remind myself to check the screen to see if it has the yellow tint issue when turning the phone on for the first time if I were to buy it.

It's just not doing it for me (rocking my world) on any level.... Any level......

Exactly what happened to me when I tried the M8.

ichii

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2006
I'm actually bit of everything as anyone here who hangs around in this forum will attest.

I'm just not enjoying the device or the feel in hand.

I also have a Lumia 1020, Lumia 930, HTC M8 & Samsung Galaxy S5. I've also had the Note 3 & Lumia 1520 this year...

The OnePlus is a mighty fast device but I just don't like how it feels in my hand. It feels bigger than other devices I've had but somehow the ergonomics of it just aren't doing it for me.

Indeed compared to my Lumia 930 bought day after getting my OnePlus One this difference in size in had us tremendous. The 930 is smaller than the S5, the 1+1 is noticeably bigger, yet screen size doesn't feel as big as the bezels and chins....

It's mighty thin, but for me it doesn't sit in my hand like the others.

I think for me 4.7-5.1" is the ideal screen size, and the slimmer they can close the width more so than height the better it feels in my hand. I have no trouble with my M8, but the oneplus requires hand gynamstics one handed....

I appreciate the 1+1 is a tremendous value for money phone, I just don't personally like it.......

I'm the same way started with an iPhone(iPhone 1-5) went to WP8(Lumia 520,920,1080) then to Android(LG G, Nexus 5, OPO).

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
I received my OPO today and I really like the device, so far. The one downside, I receive a unit that has the yellow band at the bottom of the screen. Its faint, but I'm sure its going to drive me nuts.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I received my OPO today and I really like the device, so far. The one downside, I receive a unit that has the yellow band at the bottom of the screen. Its faint, but I'm sure its going to drive me nuts.

Give it two weeks normal usage and I'm sure it will fade. I remember the iPhone 4 having a similar yellow screen issue and after a couple weeks exposed to natural sunlight / UV it cleared up no bother.

ichii

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2006

I think I have a yellow hue, but I can't really tell. I know I could really tell on my LG. Do you use on screen buttons? That might help you from not noticing it.

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
Give it two weeks normal usage and I'm sure it will fade. I remember the iPhone 4 having a similar yellow screen issue and after a couple weeks exposed to natural sunlight / UV it cleared up no bother.

Let's hope cause I really like the device. I'm also gonna try leaving it in direct sunlight for a couple of hours just to see if it helps.

----------

I think I have a yellow hue, but I can't really tell. I know I could really tell on my LG. Do you use on screen buttons? That might help you from not noticing it.
As of now, I haven't switched to the onscreen buttons . I'm really hoping with use, it'll go away. As side from that, this phone is nice.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Let's hope cause I really like the device. I'm also gonna try leaving it in direct sunlight for a couple of hours just to see if it helps.

----------

As of now, I haven't switched to the onscreen buttons . I'm really hoping with use, it'll go away. As side from that, this phone is nice.

Hopefully it is just some adhesive that needs to dry! :)

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
OnePlus could be dropping CyanogenMod

I really hope this isn't true. The only reason I bought my OPO and will no doubt buy again is for unlocked bootloader and Cyanogenmod!
Hopefully this is just a rumor

OnePlus could be dropping CyanogenMod for Home-grown ROM

The OnePlus One has been a huge hit amongst Android fans since it was launched in May. With powerful specs, a manageable price, and the CyanogenMod ROM, it caters to every request the average Android user has. However, recently OnePlus has come up with some changes to this smash-hit formula: it will be replacing Cyanogen with it’s own ROM.

While the details are fuzzy, it seems that OnePlus is planning to cut ties with CyanogenMod in the future in favor of their own Chinese-oriented software. While most of OnePlus’ subscribers in America and Europe have an appreciation of CM, their Chinese-based fans will no doubt enjoy a ROM targeted more towards their tastes.

When considering why OnePlus is making the switch, it’s important to take into consideration their goals. Growth is vital to a company of their size and age, and the fact that they might be stuck paying to license the CM OS. Another factor is that with OnePlus using CyanogenMod as a third party, they may not be able to progress like other Android device manufacturers have, like Samsung and HTC.

http://www.talkandroid.com/214851-oneplus-could-be-dropping-cyanogenmod-for-home-grown-rom/

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I'm hoping for this but the phone was built on the 7th of July, you'd think that would be enough time to dry, no?
Not sure heard some say they got the light yellow on the bottom that went away after a couple days use. Heard others say they left it in the sun turned off and it went away. But if it was boxed up directly after manufacturing it just might need some time to dry......

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

Farplaner

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2008
Even if they drop CM support, the current drivers are not going to stop working all of a sudden (although the drivers may not get updated again)

CM is still going to have their updated ROMs available for the OPO.

fr4c

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2007
Hamster wheel
Attempted to place an order yesterday after receiving an invite from a kind fellow MR here. Proceeded to checkout, but had to go back into my OnePlus account to match shipping addresses. In doing so, my order got cancelled and my code is showing as used.

What a bummer, and from what I see on OnePlus forums there's quite a few of us who's getting the same error. Submitted a support ticket, but from the few people that got responses 1+1 is basically telling us to just wait until we get another invite.

What a mess...

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Attempted to place an order yesterday after receiving an invite from a kind fellow MR here. Proceeded to checkout, but had to go back into my OnePlus account to match shipping addresses. In doing so, my order got cancelled and my code is showing as used.

What a bummer, and from what I see on OnePlus forums there's quite a few of us who's getting the same error. Submitted a support ticket, but from the few people that got responses 1+1 is basically telling us to just wait until we get another invite.

What a mess...

You must use the country site that applies to you.

UK

oneplus.net/uk

Germany

oneplus.net/de

etc... If you attempt to buy from oneplus.net directly and do not have an address in USA you will be stopped. So make sure you go into the correct site.......

If you are unsure, click on the flag bottom of the page and choose your country.

fr4c

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2007
Hamster wheel
Yes invite code shown as used, even though I never made it through the entire checkout process.

MacRumorUser said:
You must use the country site that applies to you.

UK

oneplus.net/uk

Germany

oneplus.net/de

etc... If you attempt to buy from oneplus.net directly and do not have an address in USA you will be stopped. So make sure you go into the correct site.......

If you are unsure, click on the flag bottom of the page and choose your country.

Yes I'm located in the US and chose the US store. The issue, or bug should I say, with their online store is that once you add item to cart and reach Paypal's checkout page, you cannot exit or go back to make any changes. The invite code is basically one time use to generate a order # and payment/Paypal link, and is marked as used regardless of whether or not your payment successfully went through. They do not have a system in place on their store, as far as I know to determine whether or not a code was actually used to purchase a phone successfully.

1+1 thread: https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/help-my-order-canceled-and-my-invite-status-is-used.71126/

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
It's been 24hrs with the OPO and it really is a nice device but the fainted yellow hue I have at the bottom of the screen is starting to bother me. I really hope it goes away soon cause I don't think I can tolerate it for much longer.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
It's been 24hrs with the OPO and it really is a nice device but the fainted yellow hue I have at the bottom of the screen is starting to bother me. I really hope it goes away soon cause I don't think I can tolerate it for much longer.

If your driving anywhere, leave it on your dashboard for the journey. More UV should solve it. When the iphone 4 had same issue it took about two weeks normal use to get rid of the yellowing on mine.

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
If your driving anywhere, leave it on your dashboard for the journey. More UV should solve it. When the iphone 4 had same issue it took about two weeks normal use to get rid of the yellowing on mine.

I've been wanting to try this but it's been raining non-stop here in South Florida.

But thank you for the tip MRU. And I do hope it works cause the device itself is really nice.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010

Yeah, I get you.

Same thing happens to me with dead pixels :rolleyes::rolleyes:

In the end one must realise there's no perfect device out there. They all have flaws, but some are more tolerable than others.

The yellow tint might not go in two weeks, but it might over the next few months. Never had a device with that issue so I'm not sure if it actually goes away or not.

whoknows87

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2012
S.Florida
I went ahead and rooted mines, but still my battery life issue has not gone away........ hoping the software update that is hopefully on the horizon takes care of that + the low in call volume

anything that might help since I'm rooted now? open to suggestions

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.