Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

El3ctronics

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2011
NYC
I got my oneplus one today and boy was I disappointed. I'm coming from and M8 and the two devices literally aren't even comparable. M8 is a much smoother experience, has a FAR better display, obviously better speakers, and overall just feels like a far more premium device. Now I know the oneplus is significantly cheaper but most reviews I've read said that it's as good, if not better, than the top android devices on the market. I can definitively say that it's not even close competition for the M8. I put the oneplus one back in the box just a few short hours after receiving it and I'll either be selling it or returning it.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
My only issues that worries me about purchasing the OnePlus One is I've read the call quality is terrible and the camera is not up to par. Batt life seems excellent though.

Hardware negatives are much more worse than software negatives. You can always correct some software issues via settings and apps. Hardware issues generally can't be changed or improved.

I will chalk up another phone that my new Mi 3 completely eliminated off my wishlist. Mi 3 has already erased my wishlist that included Nexus 5, Moto G, Moto X, HTC One (M8), Samsung Galaxy Note 3, LG G2, and now OnePlus One. It takes some time to get used to MIUI and understanding the probs, but I eventually like this custom ROM more than stock Android now. I still use Nova Prime to hide apps and use gesture swipes. But the HDR camera and battery life is all excellent. Haven't dropped a call either which happened alot on my M7 since I live on the 30th floor. And cheaper price ($243) too.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
My battery life from yesterday. I am loving this device.
u2yhaguz.jpg
8ezu6aqu.jpg

spriter

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2004
Had a chance to play with the OnePlus One earlier today whilst checking out the Find 7 and Find 7 a - another customer turned up at an Oppo store to seemingly compare the phone to the 7, so I asked to have a try.

It's big - too big - for my liking and confirmed my fears that it's neither compact enough for one hand, nor large enough to compete with 6 and 7-inch devices for ultimate media consumption on a phone. Same thing for the Find 7 as they're practically from the same mould.

Size-wise: it feels too tall and cumbersome although the feel in the hand is OK. I wouldn't call it a premium feel like the M8, 5s etc. The plastic isn't glossy, at least, but it's still plastic and I've become used to metal.

Speed: fine and I couldn't detect any lag of note (it was running CM) which of course should not exist on such a spec-fest of a device. Looks fairly solidly future-proofed for a while.

Camera: hmmm. Took a couple of test shots and even on the OPO screen they were a bit middle-of-the-road. I had my M7 and 5s on me and much prefer the 5s for speed and quality. Obviously my M7 is another meh where the camera is concerned.

Screen: looks good but I can't say I noticed much difference between the 2k screens of the F7 and the OPO and the F7a. Given the extra battery consumption (couldn't test), I'd take the 1080p screen on the F7a. Unfortunately, the guy's phone had the yellowing at the bottom. He pointed it out to me and, like a dead pixel, once seen it becomes a distraction. I told him to leave it in the sun when possible to cure it which he didn't seem to know about.

All-in-all, it seems a decent buy for the price IF you like the size. I just couldn't get on with it, and having had a Note 1 and 2, eventually they wear me out with their requirements for two hands or shifting around in one hand to reach the top row and corners - the same as the Find 7. I can't put my finger on it but it just didn't have a 'wow' factor.

I still prefer the smaller 4- to 4.7-inch devices and think a 4.7-inch device or 5-inch with slim bezels would be perfect. The M8 is nice but ever-so-slightly tall. I think the Mi 4 could be a good answer (similar size to M7 but with 5-inch screen, 1080p, 3GB, 64GB, same price as OPO) on the Android side of the fence and obviously Apple have something cooking, too.

Glad to see a bunch of OPOs finally making their way to users and you're liking what you get. There's plenty available here in China so no reason why OPO cannot meet demand and get replacements sorted out.

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
So, I'm wondering, what would you guys recommend for me to do. I've decided that I can't get over the yellow on the bottom of my screen. So, have any of you had any issues returning/exchanging a device considering OPO's rep on customer service; or should I just sell the device?

Really sucks cause the yellow has ruined the experience overall for me but aside from that, it really is a great device--for the price.

MRU, I tried leaving it out in direct sun light like you suggested but, honestly, it doesn't work. :( It's simply a defect from the manufacture.

I truly appreciate any advice given. Thank you.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
MRU, I tried leaving it out in direct sun light like you suggested but, honestly, it doesn't work. :( It's simply a defect from the manufacture.

He recommended 2 weeks, not 2 days.

I have heard this works as well but I understand if you do not want to wait.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
So, I'm wondering, what would you guys recommend for me to do. I've decided that I can't get over the yellow on the bottom of my screen. So, have any of you had any issues returning/exchanging a device considering OPO's rep on customer service; or should I just sell the device?

Really sucks cause the yellow has ruined the experience overall for me but aside from that, it really is a great device--for the price.

:( sorry to hear that bud. If you are sure it's not clearing even a little, then I'd RMA it whilst you have the opportunity. Good luck mate.

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
He recommended 2 weeks, not 2 days.

I have heard this works as well but I understand if you do not want to wait.

2 weeks!? that can't be right.

I'll continue to try till monday but two weeks doesn't sound right.

EDIT: Let me add that I live in Miami, FL and the temperature down here is ridiculous as of late. If I leave the device out for more 20-30 minutes, the battery would get damage--I would assume.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
2 weeks!? that can't be right.

I'll continue to try till monday but two weeks doesn't sound right.

EDIT: Let me add that I live in Miami, FL and the temperature down here is ridiculous as of late. If I leave the device out for more 20-30 minutes, the battery would get damage--I would assume.
You can calibrate the screen, and it'll help a lot. My colors are basically super amoled right now.

Farplaner

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2008
How is the Google Now Launcher vs the stock CM launcher? I don't really see any differences other than the Google Now integration.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Did those work for you and removed the yellow from the screen?

I tried someone else's calibrations on OPO's forums to see if the yellow at the bottom of the screen would go away but still no luck. :(

Can you post a piccie so folks can see it.... There is so much variations that you may have a particularly bad one for example. I'd still RMA if your not happy tbh.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Did those work for you and removed the yellow from the screen?

I tried someone else's calibrations on OPO's forums to see if the yellow at the bottom of the screen would go away but still no luck. :(
Yes. The yellow is still there but it's definitely not as bad. Over time it will go away. Are you on stock kernel? If so, then that's one of the problems. Stock kernel doesn't allow you to change gamma settings. You're probably only changing the colors in the settings menu. Correct me if I'm wrong.

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
Yes. The yellow is still there but it's definitely not as bad. Over time it will go away. Are you on stock kernel? If so, then that's one of the problems. Stock kernel doesn't allow you to change gamma settings. You're probably only changing the colors in the settings menu. Correct me if I'm wrong.

You're right, I'm only changing the color in settings.. Okay, I'll try what you recommended and hopefully this will elevate some of the yellow.

Thank you nfl46.

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
Can you post a piccie so folks can see it.... There is so much variations that you may have a particularly bad one for example. I'd still RMA if your not happy tbh.

MRU, not great photos but maybe you guys can see what I'm talking about. If you click on the image and zoom in, you can see it.

I'm frustrated and really hope nfl46 suggestion really helps. My fear with that route is if the problem is still there, how difficult is it to flash stock and lock bootloader so I can return the device.

Attachments

• IMG_20140803_180057.jpg
    IMG_20140803_180057.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 122
  • Photo Aug 01, 7 42 30 PM.jpg
    Photo Aug 01, 7 42 30 PM.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 124
  • IMG_20140803_174449.jpg
    IMG_20140803_174449.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 110

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
MRU, not great photos but maybe you guys can see what I'm talking about. If you click on the image and zoom in, you can see it.

I'm frustrated and really hope nfl46 suggestion really helps. My fear with that route is if the problem is still there, how difficult is it to flash stock and lock bootloader so I can return the device.

Thanks for posting these pics. I def see it in at least 2 of the three. In the last pic it looks more like an unevenly dim back lighting issue. Either way, I wouldn't tolerate that either. Good luck.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Yeah. It's very distracting. That issue would make me mad :mad:

It's very visible on those white backgrounds.

I agree it looks more like uneven lightning rather than a yellow band.

Unbelievable that in 2014 some manufacturers still can't get right a very simple display.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008

Eh, honestly, its not that bad. But, hey, its your money, your device, and we all have expectations. After a few weeks, the glue will dry and it will go away.

Calibration will definitely help, though. If you have a Mac, this is all you will need to root/unroot/return to stock, etc.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/oneplus-one/development/toolkit-mac-os-x-toolkit-unlocking-t2807574

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
Eh, honestly, its not that bad. But, hey, its your money, your device, and we all have expectations. After a few weeks, the glue will dry and it will go away.

Calibration will definitely help, though. If you have a Mac, this is all you will need to root/unroot/return to stock, etc.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/oneplus-one/development/toolkit-mac-os-x-toolkit-unlocking-t2807574

You're the man! I couldn't find
a root option for Mac and you came through. Thank you!

Do you really think it's glue? I get the feeling it's the panel itself.

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL

nfl46, do you mind pointing me to the kernel you're using? I tried searching on XDA for 'Franco kernel' but had no luck. Maybe I missed it..? Anyway, I would greatly appreciate it if you could help me out. Thank you.

EDIT: Never mind, I believe I found it http://forum.xda-developers.com/oneplus-one/orig-development/kernel-franco-kernel-r1-t2800871

EDIT#2: nfl, how can I edit RGB values in Franco?

EDIT#3: Never mind, once again; I found TricksterMod app and lets me mess with the RGB settings.

Last edited:

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
So, after rooting, unlocking bootloader, and flashing franco's kernel, I tinkered with the RGB values and I sorta, kinda, masked the yellow at the bottom of the screen. Not by much but it has become less apparent. However, I know that it's there so let see I can go before it starts to bother me again.

nfl46, thank you for all your help!

I do have a question: has it been confirmed that the yellow at the bottom of the screen is glue that needs to settle? Or is it a defect?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.