Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ToniqR

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2011
Bath, UK
It's interesting to me how this "crazy" idea was posted as if it's a big deal.

I regularly go out without my iphone or any other technology other than my watch (good old fashioned anolgue dial of course!). This is just my normal everyday life, I've always just preferred meeting and talking to people in person than over the phone, and seeing friends rather than posting on fb.

Of course, when at home I have an MBP and ipad 2. MBP barely gets used now I've finished my degree, so it's only really my ipad which I use.

Each to their own though I guess. Oh, and I'm 21 if anyone is just thinking its a generation thing. Interesting topic! :)

DanGoh

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2014
SMH. Giving it all up because of lack of self control. But I guess as long as one is happy it shouldn't matter.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
SMH. Giving it all up because of lack of self control. But I guess as long as one is happy it shouldn't matter.

I a have to agree with that sentiment - its a little extreme, one that I cannot do, given my job as I mentioned, nor would I want too, but if it gives the OP peace of mind and quality of life, then that's what counts :)

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Just a quick update. It's been five days now without my iPhone and I honestly don't miss a single feature. As stated I have a Retina iPad Mini for internet/social media browsing while at home, but on the go it's just me and my clamshell; clamshell being the nickname for my A157V. To be fair I wasn't entirely a heavy user to begin with in terms of talking/texting. My iPhone was basically just a mini tablet that also had a phone application on it. Nonetheless I have had a hard time getting used to opening my phone to use it. That part is still growing on me.

I'm glad to hear that the transition is going well.

Spectrum Abuser

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 27, 2011
Just a final update. After a month with the flip phone I'm putting my SIM card back into my iPhone 4. The biggest reason being texting on a T9 keypad is redundant; nobody talks on the phone anymore. I'd get texts from friends and family, but every time I'd try to call them instead of texting back I'd always get "I'm busy", even though they were the ones that just texted me in the first place. So what could of easily been a thirty second conversation turned into ten minutes of button pushing and waiting for a response. I'll end my dabble of trying to break away from smartphones as unrealistic. I honestly think someone would have a better chance of success if they completely ditched the cellphone entirely. Then people wouldn't expect you to fit into the communication mold that is firmly embedded in smartphones today.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
I tried doing this once a couple years ago during Lent. 40 days and nights without texting or internet. By the 3rd day, I was back online. But if technology ceased to exist like in The Book of Eli movie with very little electricity for TV, internet, smartphones , I probably would get into reading alot of books. And knife and gun fighting... For survival during an apocalyptic future.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.