Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
Can some one recommend a place to get a macbook battery ? I was told Apple does not make them any more and all the ones in the market are 3rd party. Who should I trust?

Specifically I looking for late '08 Core2Duo 2.0 . I believe the model is A1278

I went with the OWC/NuPower battery and it's been great. I also looked at an Anker battery on Amazon that was cheaper, but I've been an OWC customer for some time and had a bit more trust for them. It lasts around 3-4 hours depending on usage.

Jschultz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2005
Chicago, IL
And my Macbook continues to impress. I've upgraded to the public beta of Yosemite, and everything functions as expected, just as snappy as can be. I'm glad Apple continues to be able to optimize for 5 year old systems.

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
New MacBook for me! Got it off eBay for a great price, put in spare RAM and HDD I had floating around, went from Leopard to a clean install of Yosemite and she runs pretty good! Looking to get an SSD once I've sold my Black MacBook and MBP. She looks pretty dated due to the '06 design, but it's an Early 2009 model :cool:

Had a hinge problem, but I tightened it up. Some bright spots on the screen that weren't mentioned. But otherwise pretty good, no cracks on the top case even. It feels like a different material than my BlackBook though, much slicker.

ptpJTys.jpg

BB19

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2014
Working with a late 2008 aluminum macbook5,1 that I purchased refurbished from Apple around May-June 2009...right before all the aluminum models became macbook pros haha. Thing is still going strong and is built like a brick (trust me, it has take some falls from various heights over the years...) Only problem I've had is going through one battery, which caused the trackpad to stop working properly because of the battery swelling. I upgraded the ram from 4gb to 8gb and also just purchased a samsung evo SSD today. Can't wait to pop that bad boy in and give my mac some new life! :cool: I get why people might think :apple: is overpriced and whatnot but honestly this is the best computer I've ever owned and I've definitely gotten my money's worth. :D

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
This is almost a 10 year old laptop, can you tell me how it performs ?
Did you change the battery? Which you got?

Edit: I am a little bit confused, I did a quick look up and it appears that your machine which is 2 years older than mine has almost the same processor (1.8Ghz core2duo and mine is 2.0 core2dou ). How is that?

BB19

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2014
Didn't see you quote anyone so I'm assuming that is directed at me. This is the macbook that I have. It's a 2.4ghz core 2 duo runs very smoothly but it is showing a few signs of age. That's why I decided to upgrade to an SSD. I did change the battery myself. Ordered the same model that was in the laptop and swapped em out. Easy to do on this model.

mrbib

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2011
It runs on 2GB, but it can be pretty pokey. With 4GB you'd be fine. I have it running on a couple '07-'08 (2.0GHz, 2.66GHz) iMac's with 4GB DDR2, one with an SSD, one stock. Runs great. You'll be fine :)

I wish they made a Black MacBook in the '09 flavor so I could run Mavericks. Or a true 64bit X3100 driver. But hey. Snow Leopard is rock solid. :cool:

If you want a Black Macbook you can easily PlastiDip the top and bottom. Look it up, its a cool removable way to get a black machine.

mrbib

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2011
Working with a late 2008 aluminum macbook5,1 that I purchased refurbished from Apple around May-June 2009...right before all the aluminum models became macbook pros haha. Thing is still going strong and is built like a brick (trust me, it has take some falls from various heights over the years...) Only problem I've had is going through one battery, which caused the trackpad to stop working properly because of the battery swelling. I upgraded the ram from 4gb to 8gb and also just purchased a samsung evo SSD today. Can't wait to pop that bad boy in and give my mac some new life! :cool: I get why people might think :apple: is overpriced and whatnot but honestly this is the best computer I've ever owned and I've definitely gotten my money's worth. :D

Great to see a lot of 2008 uni's on here. I have the same machine. It's on it second battery (same swelling problem, but didn't harm trackpad). I have 8GB also and am looking to upgrade to a SSD and replace the the superdrive with the existing HD. I can't even remember the last time I used the superdrive.

How is your machine running with the new SSD? Which flavor of OS X are you running?

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I have a 2010 white MacBook (7,1). I’ve upgraded the RAM to 8GB and added a 240GB SSD. It’s currently running Yosemite PB1, and shows no signs of slowing down. I travel internationally 3-4 times per year and wanted something that would not be a major setback if it got damaged/lost while traveling. I’ve had it for about 2 years and it’s been rock solid. I’d miss it big time if something did happen to it.

BB19

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2014
Great to see a lot of 2008 uni's on here. I have the same machine. It's on it second battery (same swelling problem, but didn't harm trackpad). I have 8GB also and am looking to upgrade to a SSD and replace the the superdrive with the existing HD. I can't even remember the last time I used the superdrive.

How is your machine running with the new SSD? Which flavor of OS X are you running?

Just ordered it yesterday so I'll probably try and put it in at some point this weekend. Running mavericks right now and plan on getting Yosemite once it comes out.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
Didn't see you quote anyone so I'm assuming that is directed at me. This is the macbook that I have. It's a 2.4ghz core 2 duo runs very smoothly but it is showing a few signs of age. That's why I decided to upgrade to an SSD. I did change the battery myself. Ordered the same model that was in the laptop and swapped em out. Easy to do on this model.

Actually I was addressing BrettApple, but thanks for sharing.

I have the same model you have but the 2.0 GHz . Extremely impressive for a 5 year old laptop, runs like new! I also got the battery swelling and I am going to order my first replacement from iFixIt probably, also changed the magsafe. I guess its acceptable after 5 years of daily use.

I upgraded the RAM to 6GB but I don't see myself buying a $200 SSD just to get a slightly better performance, too expensive especially when I am looking to upgrade once the next major macbook upgrade comes along.

I wonder what happens when the battery or SSD dies in the newer macbook pros, do we just through it away?

robertosh

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2011
Switzerland
Two months ago i've bought a second hand macbook unibody from mid-2010 for 299€ (i think it was a good price).

I've updated it with a samsung 840 evo 256gb ssd and put 8gb of RAM and now it's a very usable machine, i'm using it all the time with Yosemite. I've also swapped the bottom cover of the macbook using Apple replace program.

Sword86

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2012
Late 2008 MacBook...2.4 Ghz

Bought this new just one month prior to the release of the MBPs in the spring of 2009.
Upgraded ram to 6 G from OWC. Never had an issue until I went to Mavericks. I haven't worked up the gumption to go back to SL.

Bodie CI5

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2014
I'd bought a White 13" Mid-2007 with 2gb RAM (OSX 10.7.5) in January at a computer trade show. Made me fall in love with MacOS.

She has a few external scuff marks, as well as a couple of permanent blemishes on the screen, but I bought it for cheap so I can't complain. It has no performance issues whatsoever and feels VERY sturdy. The computer repair guy I bought it off seems to have gone into the machine as the usual Apple-type screws have been replaced by more normal run-of-the-mill screws. Oh well, lol.

I'm thinking of putting in one of my SSDs off my main gaming rig into it and hopefully gain a speed boost. But I don't know how high I should upgrade the OS or leave it as it is!

ChrisHemphill

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2014
How many people still using MacBook (any model)?

I'd bought a White 13" Mid-2007 with 2gb RAM (OSX 10.7.5) in January at a computer trade show. Made me fall in love with MacOS.

She has a few external scuff marks, as well as a couple of permanent blemishes on the screen, but I bought it for cheap so I can't complain. It has no performance issues whatsoever and feels VERY sturdy. The computer repair guy I bought it off seems to have gone into the machine as the usual Apple-type screws have been replaced by more normal run-of-the-mill screws. Oh well, lol.

I'm thinking of putting in one of my SSDs off my main gaming rig into it and hopefully gain a speed boost. But I don't know how high I should upgrade the OS or leave it as it is!

That is the same MacBook I have. As far as I know, you can't go past Lion (10.7.5)

Last edited:

Bodie CI5

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2014
That is the same MacBook I have. As far as I know, you can't go past Lion (10.7.5)

Yep, no problem there, then :)

I still don't understand one thing, however: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1651?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US#link3

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook/specs/macbook-core-2-duo-2.0-white-13-mid-2007-specs.html

The first Apple link says it can be taken to 4gb, however the second link says 4gb can't be read by the system. I'm about to buy more RAM for the machine but I don't know what I should opt for! It currently has 2x1gb sticks. Do I buy one 2gb stick? But then that would mean it would go against the advice of the first link :confused:

Thanks for your reply, Chris.

ChrisHemphill

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2014
Yep, no problem there, then :)

I still don't understand one thing, however: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1651?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US#link3

http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...k-core-2-duo-2.0-white-13-mid-2007-specs.html

The first Apple link says it can be taken to 4gb, however the second link says 4gb can't be read by the system. I'm about to buy more RAM for the machine but I don't know what I should opt for! It currently has 2x1gb sticks. Do I buy one 2gb stick? But then that would mean it would go against the advice of the first link :confused:

Thanks for your reply, Chris.

It only supports up to 3gigs of ram, but there is a supposed performance boost when you put 4 gigs in. Check out http://www.macsales.com

keema

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2011
MacBook Year 2009 to 2010 (either Early or Mid)

Hi Everyone,

I was thinking of getting a macbook (I guess it is the white one) for my wife , just to be used with playing movies to be connected to our HDTV via HDMI and for web browsing stuff (Facebook) plus some online watching (youtube etc.).

The one that I saw was the Mid 2010 with a 2.4 Core2duo processor. I have no idea about what maximum ram I can put in it. But, from the everymac site it was saying that I can use up to 16 gigs of ram? Will there be performance issue if I installed 16gigs of ram as I have a feeling that a core2duo processor can't accept 16gigs? should I be better with just 8 gigs?

I am planning to install an SSD as well, my question is, will all the ssd work? what ssd can you recommend?

Lastly, after I have upgraded the ram and hdd plus update it to mavericks will this mac be able to do those things? (mentioned above).

Thanks,
Christian

MacRazySwe

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
My old MacBook from high-school is still running well.

It's one of the last classic MacBooks built. The white, pre-unibody model from 2009. 2.13GHz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD. I used it every day for three years in high-school. In 2012 I passed it to my mom who's been using it since. It still works perfectly on Lion. :)

To me, the old white MacBooks are as Apple as it gets. It still has a bit of sentimental value to me, so I may just try to keep it whenever my mom chooses to upgrade. (Probably in five years from now... :) )

Cryfox

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2014
I'm still using my mid-2010 MacBook (7,1) that I got brand new for college four-plus years ago. Upgraded it to 4 GB of RAM and 500 GB HDD two years later because it began to slow down. Since then it never fails me. Mavericks is running flawlessly on this and I can't wait to upgrade it to Yosemite when it comes out.

Got its battery replaced last year though after it swelled. It took an insane 200 USD in my local currency for that replacement! But considering it's my primary computer for college/work, each dime spent on this machine is a dime well spent. I'm planning on an SSD-upgrade later this year (thinking Samsung EVO 840 250 GB—will it be a good choice?).

It's nice to see people still using their old MacBooks after years! I guess Macs are worthy investment after all. Somehow this fact makes me happy :p

Last edited:

XoFu

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2013
I'm still using my mid-2010 MacBook (7,1) ..... I'm planning on an SSD-upgrade later this year (thinking Samsung EVO 840 250 GB—will it be a good choice?).

It's nice to see people still using their old MacBooks after years! I guess Macs are worthy investment after all. Somehow this fact makes me happy :p

I have one just like yours with 10 (8+2) G of RAM and installed an EVO 840 250G and it runs Yosemite like a champion:cool:. IMO the evo is a very good choice.

Good luck
X

sammy-boy

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2013
Staffordshire, UK
Just got my first ever MacBook - which I got off my wife after she got it a couple of months ago from eBay off a chap who'd owned it from new!

It's a late-2007 white 2.0Ghz Core 2 Duo model that the first owner had recently upgraded, it has 3Gb RAM, a new 320Gb HDD and a new genuine battery which currently has only 89 charge cycles on it :D Even came with it's original bits like the installation CDs, manual and the little DVD remote. Looks like its been well cared for too, it's in very good condition with the only obvious wear on the bottom of the MacBook.

Despite it running an older version of OSX it does all I want it to do, and it much better and faster than my old laptop (a relatively 'young' Sony Vaio from circa 2009). Very happy with it, runs very smoothly and quickly though might need another card reader as mine doesn't seem to work in it. Hoping it'll soldier on for a few more years, only concern is the screen backlight giving out after years of service already under its belt. Very happy camper so far :apple:

keema

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2011
Apple MacBook "Core 2 Duo" 2.4 13" (Mid-2010)

I am planning to buy a 2nd hand Macbook 2.4 C2D mid2010 one from my friend.

Will it work if I upgraded the ram to 16gb one? Also, will it work if put as well an SSD?

Thanks,
Christian

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
I am planning to buy a 2nd hand Macbook 2.4 C2D mid2010 one from my friend.

Will it work if I upgraded the ram to 16gb one? Also, will it work if put as well an SSD?

Thanks,
Christian

On ebay a working 2010 white Macbook 7,1 will cost from $300-$400 depending on condition, if the power adapter and box are still available...etc.

You can put 16GB in them with newer OS releases. But why? If you are running an app(s) that need more than 8GB, you likely have a grossly underpowered CPU and no dGPU for that app.

I have refurbed 4 of the 2010 Whitebooks. I put in 8GB of memory (around $75) and a Samsung EVO 840 500GB SSD (around $250). That combo gives is a huge performance improvement over the standard config of 2GB with a very slow 5400rpm HD. But remember the SATA controller is SATAII, not SATAIII. So you can only get so much speed improvement regardless of the potential in SATAIII SSD. Boot time is less than 20 seconds and apps start in around 1-2 seconds depending on the app. I put Mavericks on them, no need for older OS releases. They also run Yosemite beta just fine.

When you are ready to retire the Whitebook, you can remove the SSD and put it into a USB 3 enclosure that does UASP. So there is life for the SSD after the Whitebook is gone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.