Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Just got my first ever MacBook - which I got off my wife after she got it a couple of months ago from eBay off a chap who'd owned it from new!

It's a late-2007 white 2.0Ghz Core 2 Duo model that the first owner had recently upgraded, it has 3Gb RAM, a new 320Gb HDD and a new genuine battery which currently has only 89 charge cycles on it :D Even came with it's original bits like the installation CDs, manual and the little DVD remote. Looks like its been well cared for too, it's in very good condition with the only obvious wear on the bottom of the MacBook.

Despite it running an older version of OSX it does all I want it to do, and it much better and faster than my old laptop (a relatively 'young' Sony Vaio from circa 2009). Very happy with it, runs very smoothly and quickly though might need another card reader as mine doesn't seem to work in it. Hoping it'll soldier on for a few more years, only concern is the screen backlight giving out after years of service already under its belt. Very happy camper so far :apple:

Congrats!
While 4GB can be physically installed, only 3GB can be seen/used by the Macbook. You could be in an SSD to replace the HD. That machine uses SATA1 toward the HD, so some of the performance gain of an SSD might not be seen. Replacing a 5400rom drive with a 7200rom drive might make a difference.

http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...k-core-2-duo-2.0-white-13-mid-2007-specs.html

keema

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2011
On ebay a working 2010 white Macbook 7,1 will cost from $300-$400 depending on condition, if the power adapter and box are still available...etc.

You can put 16GB in them with newer OS releases. But why? If you are running an app(s) that need more than 8GB, you likely have a grossly underpowered CPU and no dGPU for that app.

I have refurbed 4 of the 2010 Whitebooks. I put in 8GB of memory (around $75) and a Samsung EVO 840 500GB SSD (around $250). That combo gives is a huge performance improvement over the standard config of 2GB with a very slow 5400rpm HD. But remember the SATA controller is SATAII, not SATAIII. So you can only get so much speed improvement regardless of the potential in SATAIII SSD. Boot time is less than 20 seconds and apps start in around 1-2 seconds depending on the app. I put Mavericks on them, no need for older OS releases. They also run Yosemite beta just fine.

Thanks MCAsan.

That's good to know that it can accepts 16gb, but given that the it is using the newer O.S.

To be honest, I am just only planning on putting like what you did, just 8gb of ram and a 120gb ssd (an intel 330 ssd that I already have). This is just to be used by my wife for Facebook, youtube and downloading stuffs. So, it is more than enough.

Well, I guess, tomorrow I will be a new owner of this 2010 macbook :)

Thanks again,
Christian :)

Maydon0z

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2013
Alu Macbook5,1 here from late 2008 with 4gb ram, 128gb ssd and 750gb in the optibay. The battery has close to 1500 cycles but is still able to provide juice for 2-3 hours :cool:

With Yosemite being available for my macbook i think it will be a keeper for 2-3 years :)

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I have still have my 2008 black MacBook that works perfectly. Just needs a battery but I have no plans on buying one.

I did have a 2010 white MacBook but after upgrading to Mavericks, it would become unresponsive when I was doing some things. Lost my temper and threw it across the room a few times. It's OK, doing that gave me an excuse to finally buy the Mac Mini last week.

I'll keep the black MacBook as a backup now but I really have no use for it anymore. Can't get too much for them anymore so I may even just put it away in the box.

Hezzerlah

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2012
Columbus, OH
Still using my late 2009 white macbook unibody as my primary computer. It was getting really buggy and horrible after installing Mavericks, but after my husband upgraded the ram, installed an SSD and did a fresh reload it's running perfectly and super fast now. Hoping that it handles Yosemite ok.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.