Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Surface2Owner

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2013
I had gotten a Lumia 521 for a good bargain from the Microsoft Store and I have to admit that it's the best bargain phone out there right now.

Are there any other fellow Lumia owners here on the MacRumors forum?

My Icon has been my favorite phone I have owned. The one feature I do miss is a replaceable battery. I do plan to hang on to this phone for a while.

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
Just ordered up a Lumia 930 as a second phone for work as I use office 365 for email etc and wanted to have a play with windows phone 8.1 and link it up to my xbox one. Anyone recommend any apps t get day one or any other tweaks?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Just ordered up a Lumia 930 as a second phone for work as I use office 365 for email etc and wanted to have a play with windows phone 8.1 and link it up to my xbox one. Anyone recommend any apps t get day one or any other tweaks?

Day 1 .... get yourself on the preview for developer and update it to the latest update, so that you get the benefits of native folders on your home screen.

Likewise Apps I recommend are

CAL (superior calendar app + widget/live tile)
METROTUBE (best youtube client on windows phone)
Tapatalk has been updated for 8.1 and is great now
Collector - my favourite news aggregator
Cortana works great - but limited country support. I had to change my region from Ireland to UK to get it - despite my keyboard and language being set to English UK regardless.

Oh and download ALL nokia's apps for camera / driving etc.... They are great.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
I am ready to take the plunge into the WP flagship device already after 2 weeks on the 635 but looking at the 930 or whatever the 1020 predecessor is.

Love my 635 but want the bigger screen already.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I am ready to take the plunge into the WP flagship device already after 2 weeks on the 635 but looking at the 930 or whatever the 1020 predecessor is.

Love my 635 but want the bigger screen already.

I was going to wait for the 1020 successor until Llyod pointed out the successor seems to have been cancelled in the recent round of heavy cuts .... Hence went ahead and got the 930.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
I was going to wait for the 1020 successor until Llyod pointed out the successor seems to have been cancelled in the recent round of heavy cuts .... Hence went ahead and got the 930.

Well thats sad to hear!

The 930 is pretty pricey right now for me to try and grab one off contract but the 1020 might be found pretty cheap if I search high and low.

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
Day 1 .... get yourself on the preview for developer and update it to the latest update, so that you get the benefits of native folders on your home screen.

Likewise Apps I recommend are

CAL (superior calendar app + widget/live tile)
METROTUBE (best youtube client on windows phone)
Tapatalk has been updated for 8.1 and is great now
Collector - my favourite news aggregator
Cortana works great - but limited country support. I had to change my region from Ireland to UK to get it - despite my keyboard and language being set to English UK regardless.

Oh and download ALL nokia's apps for camera / driving etc.... They are great.

Cool, will do.

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
Ok, really like Windows Phone 8.1 but the Lumia 930 isn't the phone for me. It's just a bit too chunky and not comfortable to hold. Got it all boxed up to send back within the 14 days and looking suggestions for a replacement!

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Ok, really like Windows Phone 8.1 but the Lumia 930 isn't the phone for me. It's just a bit too chunky and not comfortable to hold. Got it all boxed up to send back within the 14 days and looking suggestions for a replacement!

Microsoft is about to release a bunch of Nokia devices centered around the camera in early August.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Bought a Lumia 1520 for a great deal from a MacRumor member (awesome dude:)) and will use it as my mini tablet for when I travel a lot.

I really love the WP OS from a productivity standpoint and the bigger screen will be a great addition sidekick to my 635.

Still waiting to see what happens for an ATT flagship in the future but will be good on these 2 for a while.

GoingDark

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2013
I have a Lumia 920. I love the OS, the UI is extremely snappy even on old hardware, and the camera is pretty great (much better than my HTC One's camera).

The problem is that most third-party apps are just awful. Even my HTC One with its constant scroll lag feels a thousand times more advanced than the 920 when I use an app like Rdio or Foursquare.

And that's just for apps that actually exist on Windows Phone - never mind all the ones that don't.

We'll see if the situation improves with WP9, but I don't see things changing any time soon.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Bought a Lumia 1520 for a great deal from a MacRumor member (awesome dude:)) and will use it as my mini tablet for when I travel a lot.

I really love the WP OS from a productivity standpoint and the bigger screen will be a great addition sidekick to my 635.

Still waiting to see what happens for an ATT flagship in the future but will be good on these 2 for a while.

Cool :) enjoy

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.