Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
I really do enjoy using Windows Phone 8. Very smooth. Unfortunately for T-Mobile only two devices using the OS-- Lumia 521 and Lumia 925.

If the current rumor about the Nokia Icon is true, then we will all have access to the Lumia 929 in a few months.

The rumor states that the phone will be a global Lumia branded phone.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
I had a 920. I currently have a 1020 and 1520. They are both amazing for different reasons. I'm probably going to sell them though, in hopes of something that meet those two halfway launching with 8.1 this year. Lumia' shave the best screens, cameras, and build quality. WP8 is slowly catching up in the app department too.

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
I currently have the Lumia Icon and love it. It is the first Windows Phone that I am using as a daily driver. I was previously using a Droid DNA and it suffered terrible lag, especially in games, and it became frustrating.

GL

albertfallickwa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 27, 2014
I currently have the Lumia Icon and love it. It is the first Windows Phone that I am using as a daily driver. I was previously using a Droid DNA and it suffered terrible lag, especially in games, and it became frustrating.

GL

What games were you playing?

Fantom555

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2007
New York City
i have the 520 as a 2nd line love it i changed the black back to yellow and its cool. i just wish they would have better google integration.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
If the 1020 successor seems to be good, I might think about trading my 5S for it... let's hope it comes out sooner rather than later. :)

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Messed around with the Icon yesterday at a Verizon store. Nice device but it being on one carrier can only hurt it.

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
Messed around with the Icon yesterday at a Verizon store. Nice device but it being on one carrier can only hurt it.

Unless you are on that carrier. My issue has been that Verizon hasn't ever had a top shelf WP device. I love my Icon. Hopefully the Lumia 929 international variant will be out about the same time as WP8.1.

GL

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
I've been using the 1520 a lot more lately and it's been hard to go back to my S4. Really it's just the google suite of apps that keep me from going 100% in with WP8.

If Nokia could put out an Android device with the 1520 specs, or if MS and Google could just play nice enough to get some apps going I'd be set. It's shocking that Google doesn't want the opportunity to collect data from yet another market while spending next to no money.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
I've been using the 1520 a lot more lately and it's been hard to go back to my S4. Really it's just the google suite of apps that keep me from going 100% in with WP8.

If Nokia could put out an Android device with the 1520 specs, or if MS and Google could just play nice enough to get some apps going I'd be set. It's shocking that Google doesn't want the opportunity to collect data from yet another market while spending next to no money.

I personally think this is one of the main reasons why the adoption rate of WP is lower than it could be. Lack of Google Apps. Right now, I can pick up my iPad and be 100% comfortable knowing I still have Hangouts, GMail, etc... With my WP, I am dependent on 3rd party developers to create windows into the Google-verse and those apps may or may not ever get updated. It sucks. I too wish Google and Microsoft would play nice.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
I ditched from the iPhone 5 to the 1520 back in December. I really like the Icon, mostly for the size as a daily driver, but the 1520 works great.

One thing I have become really used to and would miss with the Icon is the Glance and double tap to wake features.

Glance let's me use my phone as a clock on a dock on my nightstand and is great during the day while I'm in meetings all day at work.

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
One thing I have become really used to and would miss with the Icon is the Glance and double tap to wake features.

Glance let's me use my phone as a clock on a dock on my nightstand and is great during the day while I'm in meetings all day at work.

Me too. My gut is telling me that they will come to the Icon with WP8.1. At least I hope it does.

GL

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Not really sure why it doesn't already. Seems to be a real hot button issue with the Icon on Windows Phone forums.

It's a software issue that can easily be added. The Glance screen is used on both AMOLED and IPS Lumia phone displays already, so not sure why they left it off the Icon unless it was something Verizon told them to do (which is what I am betting is what happened. Verizon are complete a$$es when it comes to customers. I mean they kept the LTE variant of the Nexus 7 off the shelves for 6 months to try and peddle their crappy tablet instead. Which failed.) I will never be a Verizon customer.

Surface2Owner

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2013
I am debating between two phones for my wife: iPhone 5s and Lumia 1020. She doesn't use any apps but Kakao Talk, Facebook, and the browser. I believe she really just cares about (in terms of hardware) a larger screen and nice camera with the camera being of most importance.

My only reservation with the 1020 is that the processing can supposedly be slow. How slow is it in real life usage? Does anyone actually miss pics because it takes the camera too long? She's not looking for action shots or anything...mostly pics of friends and food.

How about a large screened Android variant? Do any Android camera phones match up with the iPhone 5s or the 1020?

Last edited:

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
I am debating between two phones for my wife: iPhone 5s and Lumia 1020. She doesn't use any apps but Kakao Talk, Facebook, and the browser. I believe she really just cares about (in terms of hardware) a larger screen and nice camera with the camera being of most importantance.

My only reservation with the 1020 is that the processing can supposedly be slow. How slow is it in real life usage? Does anyone actually miss pics because it takes the camera too long? She's not looking for action shots or anything...mostly pics of friends and food.

How about a large screened Android variant? Do any Android camera phones match up with the iPhone 5s or the 1020?

Nothing matches the 1020 in terms of raw image capability. My wife was a big iPhone user and I got her the iPhone 5S. She uses her phones for the same things as your wife, it sounds like. (She also had the HTC One, but hated the camera quality.) Now she has the 1020 (only because she saw me using the 1520 and liked the camera on it at a mere 20mp!) and absolutely loves the 1020. Amazing how far you can zoom in on pics without noise! All of her other stuff like Instagram, Facebook, email, and web surfing can be accomplished without issue, so she's happy. I was actually surprised that she prefers the 1020 over the 5S.

Surface2Owner

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2013
Nothing matches the 1020 in terms of raw image capability. My wife was a big iPhone user and I got her the iPhone 5S. She uses her phones for the same things as your wife, it sounds like. (She also had the HTC One, but hated the camera quality.) Now she has the 1020 (only because she saw me using the 1520 and liked the camera on it at a mere 20mp!) and absolutely loves the 1020. Amazing how far you can zoom in on pics without noise! All of her other stuff like Instagram, Facebook, email, and web surfing can be accomplished without issue, so she's happy. I was actually surprised that she prefers the 1020 over the 5S.

Thanks for the reply! It was definitely helpful as my wife has very similar priorities. More importantly, however, I have to figure out what to get for myself now!

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
The iPhone has a great camera, it's only when you compare it to Lumia's that you notice what you're missing. At least as far as phone cameras go. I use the 1520 as my main phone, but if I know I'm headed out to a special event I grab my 1020 for better pics. Although to be honest, in my hands, it makes little difference. I'm still getting used to all the settings the Nokia camera has, so in reality the 1520 isn't going to do me any worse.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
Need more apps, need more apps, need more apps.

Sounds repetitive and stupid? may be, but there are apps i still don't see on WP that i use every day on android or iOS, and i don't even use that many apps!!

Springpad has no official app, neither do some of the local and ethnic developers. No official google apps except for search. No local Canadian weather apps like Degrees with push notifications (theweathernetwork is a joke even on iOS and android), no pushbullet app.

Doesn't sound like a lot of apps, but i use those almost every day. Feedly is a non-issue as pheeb and phonly look like decent clients, but many others have poor clients with missing functionality and official apps would be far better.

Not everyone uses just facebook, instagram, and angry birds.

Heck i couldn't recommend a lumia to my mother once her contract was up as some of the apps she uses on her iPhone do not exist yet. This is major fail.

Once the apps situation is worked out, windows phone will be just as tempting as android or iOS. MSFT needs to give loads of money or do loads of marketing for windows phone, or something else, but they need those apps on board. I would LOVE a lumia 920 or 1020 if those apps were available.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
What are your thoughts on going for the 1520 instead of the Icon? I thought about it yesterday as I'm still under the return poicy.

Edit: Never mind, I put the Icon side by side with the 1520 in a MS store and don't plan to "haul" around the 1520. I actually did not realize how big it was but when side by size, Gigantor! :)

Last edited:

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
What are your thoughts on going for the 1520 instead of the Icon? I thought about it yesterday as I'm still under the return poicy.

Edit: Never mind, I put the Icon side by side with the 1520 in a MS store and don't plan to "haul" around the 1520. I actually did not realize how big it was but when side by size, Gigantor! :)
Plus Verizon vs AT&T

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Need more apps, need more apps, need more apps.

Yep. it's the only real negative to the platform really.

It's not even that it is a lot we miss - it's the little ones we use and forget about. For me it's my online supermarket shopping app for example.

Local content apps especially for Ireland is very poor. (much better than BB10 but a lot worse than Android & IOS)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.