Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Aug 14, 2014, 03:04 PM   #26
d4rkc4sm
macrumors 6502

still loving my 8-core early 2008 mac pro. when i move to 4K video production next year, i guess it'll be time to upgrade.

never buy rev a of any mac pro.
d4rkc4sm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2014, 03:04 PM   #27
zipa
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost187 View Post
I know this will sound stupid to most but, what if Apple released a "gaming edition" of the Mac Pro with nvidia gpu's? I would wager their sales would sky rocket!
Never in my life have I heard of a PC gamer who didn't build his own system, or order one pre-assembled to his specs. And since gaming PC = windows PC, why would you want to pay the Apple tax and then suffer the sub-par bootcamp drivers?
Old Aug 14, 2014, 03:05 PM   #28
Zwhaler
macrumors Demi-God

I'm glad I didn't buy the nMP then. I was waiting to see what would go down with the W9100s and better CPU options. Cool!
Old Aug 14, 2014, 03:09 PM   #29
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipa View Post
Why can't they make a desktop tower for normal people? ****, solder in the parts and weld the box shut if you have to, but don't make me buy a new friggin 27" display every time I want to get a new computer.
I have a feeling there's a reason Apple has been silent on Mac Mini. I wouldn't be surprised if we get something new in that space beyond just a spec bump. Apple easily could have released a spec bumped Mac mini by now.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 03:11 PM   #30
NT1440
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macs4u View Post

I appreciate they are catering for the "Pro" market but there is a BIG market in Hackintosh.
No.

Just....no.

Protip: Anything that requires more than a typical consumer knowledge base to set up, by definition, does not have a market considered anywhere near "BIG" enough for a consumer driven company to invest in.
NT1440 is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2014, 03:11 PM   #31
koban4max
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DShap5 View Post
Anytime... BUT DONT THINK YOU'RE GONNA GET ANYWHERE ON THAT IPOD TOUCH!
lol
koban4max is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2014, 03:12 PM   #32
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
I have a feeling there's a reason Apple has been silent on Mac Mini. I wouldn't be surprised if we get something new in that space beyond just a spec bump. Apple easily could have released a spec bumped Mac mini by now.
That's what I'm hoping. It would be a nice effort if Apple kept "hobbyist" model for us tinkerers thrown out of last years MP party.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 03:13 PM   #33
koban4max
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimothyB View Post
Now don't be posting something like this the day my order ships that I placed 2 days ago for a 6-core 1TB D700.

I assume this will be a minor update, like a 5-10% boost? Would be early for a graphic card update.

Still looking forward to get the one I ordered next week and actually use it immediately.
you can press cancel.
koban4max is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2014, 03:16 PM   #34
MrX8503
macrumors 6502a

I wish Apple sold a version without the dual GPUs.
MrX8503 is online now   4 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2014, 03:18 PM   #35
Macs4u
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NT1440 View Post
No.

Just....no.

Protip: Anything that requires more than a typical consumer knowledge base to set up, by definition, does not have a market considered anywhere near "BIG" enough for a consumer driven company to invest in.
I disagree. There is a hole in Apples lineup that is being filled with Hackintosh.
Macs4u is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2014, 03:19 PM   #36
gto55
macrumors 6502a

and mac mini ?
gto55 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2014, 03:24 PM   #37
koyoot
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacVidCards View Post
Will be interesting how much they have to water down the GPUS to keep in TDP, esp if CPUs need more power.
IF they will use Nvidia Maxwell GPU's rather than AMD ones, which seems very likely, They will not have to tune them down a bit.

GTX870 - desktop part has TDP around 130W. If you have 450W power supply, you can stack TWO GTX880's, because they will have 150W TDP at 28 nm.

If Nvidia will release 20 nm the power of those chips will go up, and TDP will go down.

Lets give a big "creamy eyes" to Apple for use the Maxwell parts instead of AMD ones.
koyoot is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2014, 03:30 PM   #38
NT1440
macrumors G3

Quote:
I disagree. There is a hole in Apples lineup that is being filled with Hackintosh.
That's great. It doesn't matter in terms of profitability. The mac is less than 30% of the company, plugging these niche holes so a few thousand people don't go through the effort of Hackintoshing is entirely pointless to Apple's strategy.
NT1440 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2014, 03:30 PM   #39
WardC
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to WardC
Mac Pro is wayyyyyy more important than the iPhone (hobby iToy). Come on! The Personal Computer is what Apple is about! So don't delay, roll out the updates ASAP!

Thinking about Apple...
WardC is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2014, 03:32 PM   #40
Wardenski
macrumors 6502

The difference in price between the two 8 cores models seems a bit odd. 0.2 Ghz for 400 notes.

Considering these for a gaming/"workstation" build.
Wardenski is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2014, 03:32 PM   #41
WardC
macrumors 68030

Quote:
That's great. It doesn't matter in terms of profitability. The mac is less than 30% of the company...
The Personal computer is 100% of what put Apple on the map.

Thinking about Apple...
WardC is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2014, 03:34 PM   #42
NT1440
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WardC View Post
Mac Pro is wayyyyyy more important than the iPhone (hobby iToy). Come on! The Personal Computer is what Apple is about! So don't delay, roll out the updates ASAP!
They aren't delaying, Intel doesn't even launch the chips for another month meaning if Apple is implementing them, they should be on the assembly lines shortly if they've gained early access as they have in the past.

----------

Quote:
Again great. This is the technology world, filling that ludicrous niche when macs fill 90% of the consumer needs already is just pointless.
NT1440 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2014, 03:34 PM   #43
the8thark
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by koban4max View Post
MAC PRO! MAC PRO! MAC PRO!

let me buy it now!!!!!
Apple: And sir how will you be paying for this?
Old Aug 14, 2014, 03:34 PM   #44
MacVidCards
macrumors 603

Sadly the iPhone is 100% of what made them rich.
MacVidCards is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2014, 03:34 PM   #45
chrisbru
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
There are plenty of holes in the Apple lineup. There's no current-gen < 4" phone, no current-gen Mac Mini, no tablet larger than 10", no phone larger than 4", no low-end display, no low-end tower, no gaming-spec'd rig, no digital camera, no home theater, no...

...oh, right. Apple doesn't need to compete in every tech space, simply the ones they feel are most profitable for their business model. Let things like Modbook and hackintosh machines fill the small gaps.
chrisbru is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2014, 03:36 PM   #46
the8thark
macrumors 68040

Quote:
The mac is less than 30% of the company
Quote:
Apple is selling the next generation of the PC, that being the iPad and the iPhone. The desktop is an old trucking dinosaur. But as Jobs said, there will always be a need for trucks, no matter how niche they become, and that's the same for desktops.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 03:36 PM   #47
projectle
macrumors 6502

koyoot, you realize that there is quite a difference between a workstation card and a desktop card, right? Namely much, much higher dual-precision floating point calculation capabilities, wider memory busses, more stream processors, ...? Their Quadro or Tesla cards are a much better match to these FirePros used depending on vertical, however where the FirePro succeeds is that it works well whether it is being used for Video Production or Simulation, versus the Quadro which is excels at Video but doesn't do great at Simulation due to reduced Stream processors and a redesigned processing workflow, and the Teslas that aren't *great* at video but are amazing at running a CFD model!

Because of this distinction, the FirePro was actually a really good choice since it is a really good "general purpose" workstation card as opposed to needing to educate those purchasing the computer beforehand on "what are you going to use the computer for?" and helping them to choose the right card for them from Nvidia's lineup.
projectle is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2014, 03:39 PM   #48
WardC
macrumors 68030

Quote:
That "hole" you are describing is the headless, expandable, user-upgradable mid-level desktop machine. I know exactly what you are talking about. Something along the lines of a Power Macintosh 7000 series machine.

Thinking about Apple...
WardC is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2014, 03:40 PM   #49
NT1440
macrumors G3

Quote:
That "hole" you are describing is the headless, expandable, user-upgradable mid-level desktop machine. I know exactly what you are talking about. Something along the lines of a Power Macintosh 7000 series machine.
In other words, a dying paradigm that consumers have little interest in.

What computer nerds need to understand (and I'm one of them) is that nerd needs != consumer needs.
NT1440 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2014, 03:41 PM   #50
koyoot
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectle View Post
koyoot, you realize that there is quite a difference between a workstation card and a desktop card, right? Namely much, much higher dual-precision floating point calculation capabilities, wider memory busses, more stream processors, ...? Their Quadro or Tesla cards are a much better match to these FirePros used depending on vertical, however where the FirePro succeeds is that it works well whether it is being used for Video Production or Simulation, versus the Quadro which is excels at Video but doesn't do great at Simulation due to reduced Stream processors and a redesigned processing workflow, and the Teslas that aren't *great* at video but are amazing at running a CFD model!

Because of this distinction, the FirePro was actually a really good choice since it is a really good "general purpose" workstation card as opposed to needing to educate those purchasing the computer beforehand on "what are you going to use the computer for?" and helping them to choose the right card for them from Nvidia's lineup.
Ask that question to Apple, when they used desktop parts, and FLASHED them to FirePro GPU's.

Second thing. ALL Workstation GPU's are DEsktop parts, with different flashes, and ECC Memory. ECC Memory for GPUs is not available for Mac Pro, even, if they are considered FirePro Workstation GPU's. Guess, why they are not ECC?
Because the GPU itself is only flashed Radeon HD. And with different Drivers.

That is all the difference between Workstation and Desktop parts, today.

Edit. Times has changed. Check about Maxwell GPU's. They are pretty damn good GPU's for "general" purpose.
koyoot is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion