Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Went to a party last night, so today was a stay-at-home recovery day :D

All day The Killing (S4), plus Chinese food :cool:

Anyway, S4 was _fantastic_. Very dark, very focused with only 6 episodes (though commercial free via Netflix and ~1 hour each). Great series ending.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Anyone watching the final season of True Blood here?

We are watching it. Knowing it's the last season is kind of messing with my head. I don't really know what to expect and i'm trying to anticipate all of the twists and turns.

Anyway, S4 was _fantastic_. Very dark, very focused with only 6 episodes (though commercial free via Netflix and ~1 hour each). Great series ending.

It was quite an intense season. My wife and I binge watched it this weekend as well. There were things I didn't know how to take along the way, but at the end it all wrapped up nicely. The epilogue was kind of weird, but I understand why they did it and it made for a nice series conclusion.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Went to a party last night, so today was a stay-at-home recovery day :D

Thanks for the report. That is on our list to watch.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
/me is a sad panda. :(

Why? Not because Sookie had to make a choice.. Not because Ziva left NCIS.. Not even because I'll be in Vegas one day after American Ninja Warrior tapes, and I'll miss seeing Mt. Midoriyama yet again..

No.. I'm a sad panda because while I've enjoyed playing trains and watching Thomas & Friends with my son, my son is starting to grow up.. He's started to watch Transformers!

Not the crappy Rescue Bots or Prime or anything.. we're talking the original (the good) stuff. We just finished Season 1 over the weekend, and all he can talk about is that he's a Transformer! At the rate we're going through it, we'll hit the animated movie in the next couple of weeks.. Then he'll start to ask why he doesn't see Optimus Prime anymore!! :eek: :(

I don't want to have to explain that to him, and so early in his life..

Can we go back to Thomas? Please?!?! :eek: :p

BL.

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
The Honorable Woman

Its not too late to start watching the excellent Sundance/BBC drama The Honorable Woman.

Starring Maggie Gyllenhaal as the Anglo/Israeli head of an arms manufacturing company, this very timely show is outstandingly well acted and plotted.

At only eight one-hour episodes, its enough to tell a story properly, but without meandering off into the often pointless and distracting plot twists that ruin otherwise good TV shows.

New episodes air on Sundance each Thursday, with enough repeats to let you catch up.

Watch this show if you like quality TV.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Its not too late to start watching the excellent Sundance/BBC drama The Honorable Woman.

Starring Maggie Gyllenhaal as the Anglo/Israeli head of an arms manufacturing company, this very timely show is outstandingly well acted and plotted.

At only eight one-hour episodes, its enough to tell a story properly, but without meandering off into the often pointless and distracting plot twists that ruin otherwise good TV shows.

New episodes air on Sundance each Thursday, with enough repeats to let you catch up.

Watch this show if you like quality TV.

I don't pick up Sundance. Does it appear on BBC America?

vulcanvillalta

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2014
A bit weak but I've committed myself.

I've read the book, and I prefer it to the show.

Well, I found the first season at my library, and I'm borrowing it for three weeks. I'll give it a spin; I mean, it's only 13 episodes, right? Two a night with a three episode finale at my house, if anyone cares to join.

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
So far the only show that is holding my interest is The Strain. I’ve lost interest in The Last Ship and Dominion and Halt And Catch Fire. TV basically sucks these days. I even lost interest in The Walking Dead after the first season. It’s just so completely unbelievable when you take the zombie thing out of the picture.

albertfallickwa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2014
So far the only show that is holding my interest is The Strain. I’ve lost interest in The Last Ship and Dominion and Halt And Catch Fire. TV basically sucks these days. I even lost interest in The Walking Dead after the first season. It’s just so completely unbelievable when you take the zombie thing out of the picture.

That's because you need to be checking out shows like Homeland, Masters of Sex, Game of Thrones, or even Breaking Bad reruns. :p

Starting to watch The Sopranos as a break from watching The Wire (which is so mentally draining but absolutely genius!)

Last edited:

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
That's because you need to be checking out shows like Homeland, Masters of Sex, Game of Thrones, or even Breaking Bad reruns. :p

Starting to watch The Sopranos as a break from watching The Wire (which is so mentally draining but absolutely genius!)

Breaking Bad was good. But honestly, there aren’t many shows out there other than shows like you see on the ID channel, and shows like Ghost Adventures and Paranormal Witness and The Haunting, and others like Gangland and Lock Up that I like to watch. I think since the X-Files went off, which is my all time favortie show, the quality of the TV has just went to ****. So many stupid reality shows about being naked and getting married… awful.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
TV basically sucks these days.

It’s not any different vs. the last XX years, there are [almost always] some outstanding shows mixed in with the drivel.

A poster above recommended some excellent options, I’ll do the same.

This is all new programming, that’s still on - at least I believe all have been renewed, some are between seasons, some are self-contained seasons, or the last season. A few shows have had some ups and downs across season but average out to still be outstanding overall. These are network, basic cable, “premium” cable, streaming/Netflix and all sorts of options to watch, a mix of suspense/horror, comedy, sketch, drama, animated. Enjoy :)

Hannibal
Fargo
Game of Thrones
Justified
Portlandia
Mad Men
Boardwalk Empire
Masters of Sex
Silicon Valley
Archer
Orphan Black
Adventure Time
Person of Interest
Penny Dreadful
Veep
Brooklyn 99
Louie
Orange is the new Black
True Detective
Vikings
Bates Motel
House of Cards

Oh yeah, I agree on some recent (10 year-ish) shows to go back and enjoy:

The Wire
Breaking Bad
The Shield
The Sopranos
6 Feet Under

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
Justified is good and some of those I don’t see as I don’t have movie channels on cable or Netflix anymore.

Does anyone like CSI Vegas with Ted Danson? I actually think some of the new cast members are fantastic, like Elizabeth Shue and Ted. I think the show finally has come through. Still not the same without Grissom though.

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
The Knick

I just watched the first episode of the Steven Soderburg/Clive Owen turn-of-the-century medical drama The Knick.

Granted, there have probably been more medical shows - from Dr Kildare and General Hospital to Nurse Jackie and M*A*S*H that you don't think you need another one. But The Knick is something a little different.

Set at a time when modern surgical techniques were still being developed, before latex gloves and antibiotics The Knick is a fascinating, if frequently gruesome, look at medicine in our not so distant past.

Hard to describe, but The Knick combines elements of Deadwood, with House. Although Clive Owen's accent, while not completely unbelievable, sometimes lets down an otherwise outstanding and fascinating show.

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
I'm on the second episode of The Leftovers and basically sitting here scratching my head. I don't want to read anything online either for fear of ruining something. But it's wacky enough to make it interesting for me, primarily because I'm trying to figure out WTF is going on.

vulcanvillalta

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2014
So, I'm a little more than halfway through Under The Dome.... I liked it at first, but now it is seeming kinda silly. Every person overacts, and the background music is sometimes the only "foreboding" aspect of a scene. I feel like I am watching Lost again.

Plus, I cringe every time that Joe and Norrie are on the screen. They are both so unnatural to those roles.

I'm going to keep going til it's done, but I'll be glad when the last episode is over. I don't think I'll return for season 2.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I don't think I'll return for season 2.

S2 is fantastically terrible. I mean, it’s actually moving into the so-bad-its-good category - it’s commonly referred to as The Dumb, over on AVC :D

That being said, apparently this past EP (haven’t seen it yet) is a major upswing, actually, dare I say, good? :D

True Blood however, is so-bad-its-just-bad, compounded because it’s the last season.

vulcanvillalta

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2014
S2 is fantastically terrible. I mean, it’s actually moving into the so-bad-its-good category - it’s commonly referred to as The Dumb, over on AVC :D

That being said, apparently this past EP (haven’t seen it yet) is a major upswing, actually, dare I say, good? :D

True Blood however, is so-bad-its-just-bad, compounded because it’s the last season.

How do networks allow this to happen?? I'm dumbfounded at some of the acting in here. And I quite literally HATE some of the characters. I read the book, and I know who dies and when, and I'm very excited for the death of many people. Does that make me a bad person? And I also think that it's bad that I actually LIKE Big Jim. He's supposed to be despicable, and yet I enjoy and empathize with him a good bit more than I should.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
How do networks allow this to happen?? I'm dumbfounded at some of the acting in here. And I quite literally HATE some of the characters. I read the book, and I know who dies and when, and I'm very excited for the death of many people. Does that make me a bad person? And I also think that it's bad that I actually LIKE Big Jim. He's supposed to be despicable, and yet I enjoy and empathize with him a good bit more than I should.

Hahaha, I don’t know.

Joe and Norrie are actually an order of magnitude worse in S2 because they have way more screen time. Heck, I didn’t even realize how bad their acting was until S2 - plus their writing specifically is the worst on the show, well, actually it’s tied with the Magic Science Teacher.

Granted, good dialog is extremely tough, but I can tell the writers are trying to write them like “young adults”, and it comes off as this bizarre melodramatic 50s vibe, mixed with a spattering of hip modern language, delivered by bad actors. Wow.

The rating are way down, so I’m not sure we’ll see a 3rd season. I know every network wants another Lost, and this certainly has the same formula, but it would’ve worked way better as a mini series.

vulcanvillalta

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2014
Hahaha, I don’t know.

Joe and Norrie are actually an order of magnitude worse in S2 because they have way more screen time. Heck, I didn’t even realize how bad their acting was until S2 - plus their writing specifically is the worst on the show, well, actually it’s tied with the Magic Science Teacher.

Granted, good dialog is extremely tough, but I can tell the writers are trying to write them like “young adults”, and it comes off as this bizarre melodramatic 50s vibe, mixed with a spattering of hip modern language, delivered by bad actors. Wow.

The rating are way down, so I’m not sure we’ll see a 3rd season. I know every network wants another Lost, and this certainly has the same formula, but it would’ve worked way better as a mini series.

I actually thought that it was a miniseries. But, I suppose there is more money in a show.
Joe and Norrie are just awful. When they talk, I can almost hear the director in the background telling them to speak slowly, and to enunciate every syllable carefully. I just watched the episode where Joe supposedly moved the egg to the barn, and I was about to die- how he was talking to the dog. And I wish that Joe's sister (who in the book dies immediately, mind you. On day one under the dome, Junior strangles her and hides her in a closet) would try and cover her skin a little more? There are many issues, and I hope they wrap it up and kill everyone off in season two. There almost certainly will be no season 3.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Mid-Aug Recap: :) If you don't feel inundated with things vampire, The Strain (FX) is holding up. Extant (CBS) heated up for a while and is now back to dragging although I have not seen the last episode. The Bridge is holding my interest. The Last Ship is mediocre, still watching to keep the wife happy. :rolleyes: The Leftovers- I've signed off. Masters of Sex (Showtime)- First part of this season, has wandered, but regaining its feet. Excellent show. I miss Game of Thrones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.