Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
Got it.

New at this Nintendo stuff, thanks!

Also, make sure the game is new. New Nintendo games come with a code inside them. Nearly every used game I have purchased at GameStop has that sheet with the code inside, but everyone that has the code has already been redeemed. If it is not new, then chances are the code to register on Club Nintendo has been used and you will not get the free game download. FYI :)

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
Yea with that bundle and the MK8 promo you could have a Wii U, NSMBU, NSLU, MK8 and one of the promo games like Pikmin 3 or Wind Waker HD all for $290 (price matching Amazon's MK8 $48).

Pretty great time to jump aboard the Wii U platform

I really screwed the pooch on this one! I thought the deal was until 7/31.

Didnt get a chance to hit Best Buy this weekend or get online and buy. Got some time today to actually get it and its back to normal price! :mad:

I guess I will wait for the next sale!

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
I really screwed the pooch on this one! I thought the deal was until 7/31.

Didnt get a chance to hit Best Buy this weekend or get online and buy. Got some time today to actually get it and its back to normal price! :mad:

I guess I will wait for the next sale!

Yea it's still a great deal to pay $60 and get the free $60 Pikmin or $50 WindWaker game, but yea $48 was an amazing price for that deal - still a day or two left to jump on it.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
Yea it's still a great deal to pay $60 and get the free $60 Pikmin or $50 WindWaker game, but yea $48 was an amazing price for that deal - still a day or two left to jump on it.

Well the console is now back to $300 everywhere when I could have gotten it for $200 total after my rewards.

A lot harder for me to pull the trigger at $250 versus $200 now.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Well the console is now back to $300 everywhere when I could have gotten it for $200 total after my rewards.

A lot harder for me to pull the trigger at $250 versus $200 now.

Gotcha - yea that does suck - I jumped on the PS4 and Xbox One once it hit $320 a piece on a sale - Wii U can still be had for cheap if you are okay with refurbished, but nothing beats brand new consoles on sale being the original owner etc.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
Gotcha - yea that does suck - I jumped on the PS4 and Xbox One once it hit $320 a piece on a sale - Wii U can still be had for cheap if you are okay with refurbished, but nothing beats brand new consoles on sale being the original owner etc.

I am just going to be patient and hope that another sale pops up. Hopefully at Best Buy due to the rewards points I have.

Rookie mistake :)

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
Best Buy reward points expire. Don't wait too long. You don't want to make another mistake and end up losing those, as well...

Good looking out.I just checked and I'm good until the end of the year. Hopefully another sale before then.

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
Is this a good deal?

I know its not the Deluxe version and I have zero clue about Skylanders or what that even is but its on sale for $250 at Target right now.

Or should I continue to hold out for another price drop sale of the Deluxe version. I do not buy games, I only use Gamefly.

http://www.target.com/p/nintendo-wi...k=Rpr||Banner_LeftNav|category_page.promo_h_2

I would hold out for the deluxe version. The hard drive storage matters IMO. I have the deluxe and have about 30 virtual console games downloaded and a 3 WiiU games and I'm at 1/2 my storage.

BUT.......you can easily hook up a USB 2 drive and add storage to it for games. I will when I need to but I prefer to not go that route until I do need to do so. The deluxe gives me more time.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
I would hold out for the deluxe version. The hard drive storage matters IMO. I have the deluxe and have about 30 virtual console games downloaded and a 3 WiiU games and I'm at 1/2 my storage.

BUT.......you can easily hook up a USB 2 drive and add storage to it for games. I will when I need to but I prefer to not go that route until I do need to do so. The deluxe gives me more time.

Thats the consensus I have heard is to wait for the Deluxe deal for when it drops to the $250 price range again.

Ill try to patiently wait..again!

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
Has anyone heard anything at all about an eventual Metroid release on the Wii U? I can honestly say the ONLY REASON I bought my GameCube, Gameboy Advance, and Wii were for the Metroid games that released on them. I couldn't find anything of value on an internet search, but maybe someone heard something at E3 or the like?

Dilster3k

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
I purchased it when it came out, played it twice and I haven't turned it on since then. (2 years)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Has anyone heard anything at all about an eventual Metroid release on the Wii U? I can honestly say the ONLY REASON I bought my GameCube, Gameboy Advance, and Wii were for the Metroid games that released on them. I couldn't find anything of value on an internet search, but maybe someone heard something at E3 or the like?

Nothing yet.
I'd love a real Metroid game. Where Samus is thrown into a mysterious place that she explores by herself, not where she can jump from planet to planet (so more like MP1 and 2 - phenomenal games them). And a 2D one for the 3DS wouldn't go amiss!

But no nothing yet. Nintendo are really flagging on Metroid and F-Zero, which were 2 of the best GC games.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012

Well, nothing really serious as in confirmation or so, but read somewhere that Retro Studios are hiring atm - so fingers crossed!

Also just read that the next CoD skips the Wii U. Bit of a bummer if you ask me. Really liked Ghosts, still playing TDM sometimes. I do build myself a new PC / workstation capable of every game I'd throw at it, right now, but playing on the couch via Gamepad or with Wiimotes is just extremely comfy - and I don't need the ultra-graphics anyway. Sad face from me :(

At least I can hunt Nazis in Castle Wolfenstein soon :D Not to mention Doom4...or DOOM as it's called :D

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
Well, nothing really serious as in confirmation or so, but read somewhere that Retro Studios are hiring atm - so fingers crossed!

Also just read that the next CoD skips the Wii U. Bit of a bummer if you ask me. Really liked Ghosts, still playing TDM sometimes. I do build myself a new PC / workstation capable of every game I'd throw at it, right now, but playing on the couch via Gamepad or with Wiimotes is just extremely comfy - and I don't need the ultra-graphics anyway. Sad face from me :(

At least I can hunt Nazis in Castle Wolfenstein soon :D Not to mention Doom4...or DOOM as it's called :D

Oh, please let it be Retro that makes a new Metroid (Prime). That first game on the GameCube remains one of my favorite gaming experiences ever.

Totally agree with you on the controller/couch/comfy thing. I need to break down and make a decent gaming box just for my TV with my 360 controller, but my TV is 720P, and still works fine. Really just looking to play Skyrim again, modded to hell.

For my 360, playing through "Remember Me", pretty decent. Waiting for the Wolfenstein game to come down off $60, definitely want that, been a wolfenstein fan since the classic id release back in the day.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
So I have a PS4, in the market for an XB1, and researching the Wii U.

I love gaming. I have nephews that come over a lot and play as well.

I honestly have zero clue what the Wii U is, what are the marquee games for the system, and what is that weird controller they have.

I want Nintendo experts to give me some background information on the best games, is it worth it to get a Wii U or is another console coming soon, anything major thing to know about the console?

I was a big Nintendo fan until Playstation came out but have always looked at Wii U as pure super fun with Mario games and such.

So help me out and if you own a Wii U, do you like it or recommend it? I saw a great bundle of Mario Kart 8 and the console for $329. (No clue how much a regular console is or what it was at launch).

Um, it's the only way to play Mario games in HD?

:shrugs: I'm reaching.

KevinRightWing

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2007
Houston TX
For me, owning a Wii U is obviously the only way to play Nintendo games whereas there are few instances when owning both and xbox make sense due to so many games being cross platform now.

So it makes sense to own an xbox and wii u (like me) or own a ps4 and a wii u.

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
For me, owning a Wii U is obviously the only way to play Nintendo games whereas there are few instances when owning both and xbox make sense due to so many games being cross platform now.

So it makes sense to own an xbox and wii u (like me) or own a ps4 and a wii u.

Same here. I really like some of the Nintendo franchises, and while there are some great games on the other platforms, I wound up dumping my 360 and PS3 because I found myself buying games that were sitting in the shrink-wrap still for years. Games like Red Dead Redemption, Deux Ex, Metal Gear Trilogy, Dark Souls, just to name a few.

I decided to just pair down my systems and I haven't looked back. Well, except for Dark Souls. Part of me really wants to play that game. But the other part (sanity) thinks it was best to never try it.

I do wish that I had gotten to play The Last of Us before I gave my PS3 away, but that game wasn't even on the radar yet.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
Yea I have a PS4 but really like some of the exclusives coming out on XB1.

I was thinking of holding out on an XB1 and getting the Wii U first but that Sunset Overdrive bundle is dead sexy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.