Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
So the BF deals are trickling out and it seems the Wii U refurbished direct from Nintendo is still the best deal.

Keep in mind I never buy games, I use GameFly so game bundles dont mean much to me but the only game I can see owning is MK8.

Anyone see any other deals as I am FINALLY going to make the plunge? :)

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
Honestly that refurbished deal straight from Nintendo seems great. Wish I had known about it before we got ours.

My Wii U is currently pre-downloading Super Smash Bros :) Can't wait for the release. Still have my GameCube controllers.

Antares

macrumors 68000
So the BF deals are trickling out and it seems the Wii U refurbished direct from Nintendo is still the best deal.

Keep in mind I never buy games, I use GameFly so game bundles dont mean much to me but the only game I can see owning is MK8.

Anyone see any other deals as I am FINALLY going to make the plunge? :)

I think the refurbished one is the best, too...unless you can find a Mario Kart bundle. If you haven't, already, be sure to check bfads for all the "leaked" Black Friday deals.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
I FINALLY took the plunge and scored the awesome BB bundle for $360 which includes 3D World, Smash, and DK Tropical freeze.

Had certificates as well and came in under $300 or so.

Patience paid off in the purchase but it may not pay off waiting for it to get here now. :D

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
Anyone know if when you buy a bundle, will a store take back individual games for store credit or for cash back if a receipt is shown?

Would be returning Nintendoland and Smash Brothers as I dont have any interest in those from my bundle.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Anyone know if when you buy a bundle, will a store take back individual games for store credit or for cash back if a receipt is shown?

Would be returning Nintendoland and Smash Brothers as I dont have any interest in those from my bundle.

Part of a bundle - no.

Smash Bros bought as part of a sales package they will only give you a percentage of the original price - meaning only a "sale" price, if they take it back at all since it was sold as a bundle.

Your best bet is Gamestop.

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
Welcome to the Wii U .....finally :) We have my two kids and two kids from the neighborhood battling it out now on SSB as I type this ha.

Your best bet is either trade it in at GameStop or Best Buy or try and sell it on craigslist or something. You can probably make off decent since it's less than two weeks out.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
Part of a bundle - no.

Smash Bros bought as part of a sales package they will only give you a percentage of the original price - meaning only a "sale" price, if they take it back at all since it was sold as a bundle.

Your best bet is Gamestop.

Thanks everyone.

If that's the case I may give it a try. Millions of people that are addicted to it can't be wrong with how good it is

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Is anyone else playing Hyrule warriors and has anyone tried amibos on games supporting them and are they any good?

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
Is anyone else playing Hyrule warriors and has anyone tried amibos on games supporting them and are they any good?

It's on the list with every other awesome Wii U game I want to play but will be starting with 3D World. :)

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
Do you guys actually enjoy the gamepad when playing most games?

I tried to play a little 3D world last night and just could not get my mind used to that big of a controller. I want to try and like it as I think its a great idea but for just plain gameplaying I may go with the Pro Controller.

foobarbazqux

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2014
Is anyone else playing Hyrule warriors

I've primarily been playing Hyrule Warriors for a couple months now and I think it's a great game. It's actually one of my favorite Wii U games. I think some people got turned off because they went into it expecting something more like a typical Zelda game and this is definitely not a Zelda game. It's an action game that happens to be set in the Zelda universe, which I think is a nice change of pace. It's also pretty cool being able to play as other characters and that not every mission is you playing as Link trying to save Hyrule.

Not really. I don't necessarily mind using it if I have to but I always go for the Pro Controller first. There are some games that do display some useful info on the gamepad's screen (like Hyrule Warriors) so I usually set the gamepad up in its stand in such a way that I can easily see it when I'm using the Pro Controller.

Last edited:

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005

I tried to play a little 3D world last night and just could not get my mind used to that big of a controller. I want to try and like it as I think its a great idea but for just plain gameplaying I may go with the Pro Controller.

I don't mind the gamepad when I'm watching the screen on it. Much prefer the Pro controller, or for VC games my SNES Classic Controller.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
I don't mind the gamepad when I'm watching the screen on it. Much prefer the Pro controller, or for VC games my SNES Classic Controller.

Yes I can easily enjoy it separately while playing the game on the screen as a Vita or hand held but its training my mind for on TV use.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
Holy crap is Mario amazing in HD.

I just finished the first world in Mario 3D World and this game looks absolutely stunning.

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
It's the only console that isn't plagued with a glut of unimaginative, boring shooters and has games that are actually fun and full of imagination and life. For that reason, everyone who appreciates games should own one.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
It's the only console that isn't plagued with a glut of unimaginative, boring shooters and has games that are actually fun and full of imagination and life. For that reason, everyone who appreciates games should own one.

Honestly couldn't have summed it up better as I own both of the other next gen consoles. The UI is downright terrible but where it matters most is in the games and if this small sample size of 3D world is what I have to look forward to for my gaming experiences, I cannot wait.

Tucom

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2006
Just a heads up - some users are reporting their WiiU consoles being BRICKED - as in, unusable/will not turn on - by a bug in Super Smash Bros. for the WiiU.

Hakiroto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
Holy crap is Mario amazing in HD.

I just finished the first world in Mario 3D World and this game looks absolutely stunning.

Awesome. I have a friend that said that exact thing when he got himself a Wii U a few weeks ago. I'm pretty sure I'll be picking one up this weekend; I can't wait! :)

Hakiroto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
What's the deal with the Wii U and region locking? Is it, as expected, split along the lines of North America, Europe, etc. or are the regions smaller (i.e. country-based). I'm English and I buy most of my games from the UK but I live in Germany. Would I have a problem buying a console/games from either of these countries?

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
What's the deal with the Wii U and region locking? Is it, as expected, split along the lines of North America, Europe, etc. or are the regions smaller (i.e. country-based). I'm English and I buy most of my games from the UK but I live in Germany. Would I have a problem buying a console/games from either of these countries?

They're as you said; US, EU (which includes Australia, people here in the UK are importing those New 3DS's and they play UK games) and Japan.

Hakiroto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
They're as you said; US, EU (which includes Australia, people here in the UK are importing those New 3DS's and they play UK games) and Japan.

Thanks! I don't think I'll have time to pick one up this weekend but I'll have one soon and I can't wait! My girlfriend doesn't care for my PS4 or PC games but I think I'll be fighting for time on the Wii U as she loves Mario games. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.