Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
so I'm still having problems w mine. macbook pro 2012 running 10.9 here.

i have a wired afterglow controller. i've tried drivers .11, .12, and .13. i just ran the terminal script for third party controller support. my macbook appears to recognize the controller in system preferences, but it doesn't work w any games. and by not working w games, i mean it doesn't even show i have a controller connected (only shows keyboard options).

is there something I'm missing?

UPDATE: it works in tomb raider! but not in any other game i tried (maybe bc its 3rd party controller)

We added plugin support for that pad in Tomb Raider, it also means you can have the same support in any other Feral game, all you need to do if you have issues is to contact support and we can give you the plugin file for your gamepad and you just install it in your other Feral games :)

Have a good weekend!

Edwin

Madd the Sane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2010
Utah
I find it odd that no other game you have has controller support. Would you mind listing the games you've tried to play that don't work with the 360 controller?

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
I find it odd that no other game you have has controller support. Would you mind listing the games you've tried to play that don't work with the 360 controller?

The issue is not the fact that it's a 360 controller but an aftermarket one. There are none/fewer issues using the original MS unit.

uuuuuunnnnnn

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2014
I've been having issues with a 3rd party controller, so I picked up an official Microsoft 360 controller and am having the same issues.

The 3rd party is a Rock Candy controller, which my girlfriend got to work with her Macbook Pro running some version of Maverick using version 0.12. I have a Macbook (non Pro) running 10.7.5.

I've tried drivers 0.10, 0.11, 0.12, and the unofficial 0.13.

Only version 0.11 (with the extra controller support bit installed) recognized my Rock Candy controller, but no Steam game would recognize it, and every time I unplugged it, my computer crashed.

I've reinstalled version 0.12, and tried the OEM 360 controller, and get the intentional results as with the Rock Candy: controller lights up for a second, then goes dark, system report says "Device has not been configured," and system pref shows no devices found.

I just reinstalled v0.11, and "controller" is highlighted in blue, but it still reads "no devices found". This sounds like the bug that was mentioned a few pages back that "causes some devices not to work," though in my case I've tried two different controllers, one of which is verified to work.

I'm about to unplug the controller, crash the laptop, restart, and try again.

----------

I think I'm done messing around with all this for now. I'll entertain any suggestions, but I have 7 days before I return the OEM controller. I'm surprised that it didn't do the trick, as many have said that it's only the 3rd party controllers that have all these issues.

UPDATE: I followed the instructions in a different thread, and uninstalled everything, downloaded version 0.8, changed the product ID and vendor ID in the kext file to match the Rock Candy controller, AND killed Android File Transfer. Now it recognizes the controller for real. This is the first time the buttons light up in the system preferences according to what I press on the controller. HOWEVER, only one Steam game recognizes it. The other games, which clearly work with xbox controllers, still don't recognize it...

Last edited:

ReddestDream

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2010
North Carolina

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
Did you have to disable kext signing for it to work?

http://www.cindori.org/update-on-trim-in-yosemite/

http://www.tonymacx86.com/apple-news-rumors/112300-whats-new-kext-development.html

Also, does it work after you install the additional controller support with this:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/636420/

Thanks!

I just installed 0.11 and plugged in my wired 360 pad. No issues since Mountain Lion on any version of OSX since.

I wouldn't know about additional support since I use an official controller, not a knock off one.
Last time I tried a gamestop one it never worked, no matter what version of the driver was installed.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
I just installed 0.11 and plugged in my wired 360 pad. No issues since Mountain Lion on any version of OSX since.

I wouldn't know about additional support since I use an official controller, not a knock off one.
Last time I tried a gamestop one it never worked, no matter what version of the driver was installed.

GameStop pad needs some xml editing to work but I have gotten it to work, it's not easy though.

Edwin

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
GameStop pad needs some xml editing to work but I have gotten it to work, it's not easy though.

Edwin

After a day of getting no where I just returned it for a full refund and paid the extra €5 for the official MS one. :)

Been a treat since then.

insane79

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2008
Hi guys,
Anyone tried the Razer Sabertooth Gamepad with these drivers? does it work with the sabertooth? :confused:

Thanks.

insane79

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2008
Yes but only if you hack your driver to add the USB ID for the Sabretooth

hmmn is that simple to do? i wonder why feral doesn't support this pad as Razer is a respectable company in the pc gaming scene, any instruction of the hacking i need to do? Really love this pad.

Thanks.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
hmmn is that simple to do? i wonder why feral doesn't support this pad as Razer is a respectable company in the pc gaming scene, any instruction of the hacking i need to do? Really love this pad.

Thanks.

If you do all the hacking then Feral games will pick it up. However the tattiebogle hacking is tricky and unreliable. I did write a script that works for many people but it is not officially supported being a hack on some open source third party drivers.

Our latest game Castle Of Illusion should just work with it without the need for drivers and so will our newer games.

Edwin

insane79

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2008
If you do all the hacking then Feral games will pick it up. However the tattiebogle hacking is tricky and unreliable. I did write a script that works for many people but it is not officially supported being a hack on some open source third party drivers.

Our latest game Castle Of Illusion should just work with it without the need for drivers and so will our newer games.

Edwin

so the new games will support the Razer Sabertooth Gamepad out of the box without drivers? that will be sweet :D

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
So glad I saw this thread. I was about to throw out an old 360 controller I had lying around still. Will be nice to use this on some games here and there.

demariners

macrumors member
May 10, 2010
I seem to be having one issue here. It all works fine wirelessly on my Mac with the Dongle however it goes to sleep in under 2 minutes. It is annoying if I am playing something and I go to the bathroom or something and come back and the controller is no longer connected and when I hit the Xbox symbol it reconnected but I have to restart the game for it to recognize again? Any ideas?

insane79

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2008

Edwin

Ed,
Check your pm.

Thanks.

evujumenuk

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2014
I have two Razer Onza and one Razer Sabertooth on OS X 10.7.

With Tattiebogle .11 plus '.command.zip' script, adding the correct USB ID for the Sabertooth (0x1689/0xfe00):

• Onzas work, shows blue in '+' menu
  • Sabertooth blinks Home ring, shows blue in '+' menu

With Tattiebogle .12, none of the controllers work and without a '+' menu, they can't show up blue either. The script does not make any difference.

Earlier in this thread, it was hinted that the Sabertooth could be made to work with editing a plist (or XML) file. I am not afraid of config files, but am not familiar with build systems that involve fiddling with a GUI. (autotools and make are okay, though.) So, should I go with a recent fork of the codebase or can the stock driver be coerced to recognize the Sabertooth? It identifies itself as a "Razer Sabertooth Elite", not a "XBOX360 GAMEPAD", though.

Or do I need to go back to an earlier driver? That would be quite messy and more of a weekend project.

SurferSD

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2011
Solution worked for me...

Install the 0.13.1 Driver from here (GitHub): https://github.com/d235j/360Controller/releases

Open terminal and type the following: sudo nvram boot-args="kext-dev-mode=1”

What this does, is it disables the requirement for having all kext files signed (and thus approved) via Apple.

Please watch the GitHub page referenced above as from the looks of it, they just got approval to sign their drivers so we should be seeing a new install soon.

Thanks to all those who have been working on this project. I haven't, but I appreciate everyone's effort.

-- Ryan

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
All this easily sorted out, why all the fuss.

Just use Tattieboogle then either a wired Xbox360 or wireless using the microsoft wireless receiver, this set up is so easy with no fuss at all.

I would not touch anything Razer of late.

evujumenuk

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2014
SurferSD: I see the USB ID for the Onza in this repository, but not the one for the Sabertooth. Wouldn't I need to add it beforehand?

SurferSD

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2011
SurferSD: I see the USB ID for the Onza in this repository, but not the one for the Sabertooth. Wouldn't I need to add it beforehand?

Yes, you can go to system report and get the information. You will need to add the Product ID as well as the Vendor ID. They will need to be in decimal. What the system report gives you is hex, so you will need to find an online hex to decimal calculator to proceed unless you can do that kinda math in your head, I can't.

----------

All this easily sorted out, why all the fuss.

Just use Tattieboogle then either a wired Xbox360 or wireless using the microsoft wireless receiver, this set up is so easy with no fuss at all.

I would not touch anything Razer of late.

People with aftermarket controllers have found that the drivers don't really work for their controllers. If it's a Microsoft controller, then yes, it is pretty straight forward.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.