Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I work for T-Mobile, and I don't understand how these reps from Verizon have no idea that the iPhones they sell are unlocked. We get people that switch from Verizon quite regularly, and they're shocked as well that they can use their iPhones on our network. They're being told by Verizon that T-Mobile is illegally tampering with their devices :rolleyes:

They probably don't want their customers to know they can take their devices to any gsm carrier in the world so they lie to them and misinform them to feel stuck with them only.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Why the heck is a Verizon rep acting like a police officer and accusing you of wrongdoing? You're IN THE VERIZON STORE. You are trying to SWITCH TO VERIZON, from T-Mobile. They should be kissing your feet, not throwing around accusations.

What the hell kind of company mistreats someone who is coming to them from a competitor? I'm really wondering what this idiot rep was thinking.
That's not really what was happening though--OP already has Verizon service and wanted to change their plan and just happened to have a T-Mobile SIM in their (Verizon) iPhone. That said, the phone didn't even need to be involved in a plan change (nor does a store really need to be as it's usually easier to do it online or over the phone).

----------

They probably don't want their customers to know they can take their devices to any gsm carrier in the world so they lie to them and misinform them to feel stuck with them only.
Or even more likely they just don't know any better in general.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
They are just uninformed. I used to work at Verizon wireless and most of them did not care in the slightest about the actual tech.

That salesperson probably got most of their info from huffingtonpost or something.

JoshGlzBrk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2009
Next time just change your plan yourself online or call customer service. There is no reason to include the sales idiots at the stores in what could be done in a couple minutes yourself.

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
You could have done this on your phone. Who's the idiot now? :D
Why didn't you just change your plan online? It takes 3 minutes including logging in to MyVZW.

I think sometimes people make things difficult for themselves on purpose.

Next time just change your plan yourself online or call customer service. There is no reason to include the sales idiots at the stores in what could be done in a couple minutes yourself.

Actually I couldn't because someone stole my moms iPad so all of her passwords had to be reset and the My Verizon app and website were just being a pain in the rear. Believe me if I could make it easier on myself I would have! You guys are feisty!

I assumed that at first but they were seriously dumbfounded....She claimed that me switching my SIM was causing a "billing error" which made no sense since my usage was still being tracked in the my verizon app (prior to and after getting passwords reset) and I have been doing this for like 6 months now.

Order online or Apple store. NEVER under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES will I deal with a carrier employee....any of them. their all uninformed commission based sleazeballs.
Lol I wish the Apple store was closer but even if it was its more of a carrier thing. I almost always go to Apple over Verizon if I can. BTW The reps were all chicks that looked like they just wanted to check their facebook all day long. The one guy was getting annoying but he left before I could tell him where to shove his questions >:)

Come on ova to AT&T number 1 in customer satification..
Ahahahahaahaha I seriously laughed a little. I shouldn't but where I live AT&T gets bashed like no other carrier but in areas I frequent its very good...I might switch to AT&T at the end of my contract just to switch it up...I like Big Reds coverage but the idea of being in a relationship with them somewhat against my will makes me feel like I'm a "battered customer" (see what I did there? instead of battered wife a battered customer?)

Last edited:

Eileen89

macrumors 65816
Aug 12, 2014
They are just uninformed. I used to work at Verizon wireless and most of them did not care in the slightest about the actual tech.

That salesperson probably got most of their info from huffingtonpost or something.

This is why customers need to be proactive and keep themselves informed.

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY

And really this goes for EVERYTHING. For example people take a medical doctors word as the gospel and that has nearly gotten some people killed! I'm always proactive its just frustrating when so called "experts" don't want to hear facts.

JayIsAwesome

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2013
Texas
Oh man, that had to suck. It's like the rep was trying to accuse you of doing dirt when you really weren't doing anything wrong. And yes, the VZW 5S is unlocked as is the VZW Galaxy S5. Tbh, some carrier reps are just...yeah. As a matter of fact a lot of the people that come into my store say that they prefer dealing with BBY over an actual carrier store b/c going into a carrier store is always a nightmare. Plus from what I've heard, a lot of carrier store are trying to push people into those Next, Edge, Easy Pay, ect plans...as opposed to letting the customer upgrade with the standard 2yr activation amd keeping their plan the same.

Plus, carrier stores don't price match. Working at BBY, I have to deal with all the carriers and all their reps. I still say Sprint's reps are the absolute worst. But yeah a lot of cell phone reps/sales associates don't know that much about the actual technical aspects of the phone. Now with that being said, you do get some every so often who truly know their *****. You also get customers who act like they know it all because they visit androidcentral or Engadget...when in reality they don't know anything. I actually experienced that in my store the other day. So annoying.

b3av3r

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2012
Louisiana
Not sure how much of a hassle this really was but your story makes it seem like you were trapped in the store for quite some time while they "cleared" you of any wrong doing. I would have turned and walked out as soon as their "investigation" started. I can't stand employees who are the initial contact to the customer and have no idea about their own products or services.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Those front line sales associates typically are just folks off the street without almost no training. I've run into this level of ignorance even at an Apple Store :eek:

For me, I'd not deal with the hassle they were dishing out and I would have walked out of the store at that point.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
Lol I love these stories.

I remember I walked into a Sprint store months away from the iPhone 5 launch. The guy wanted to sell me a 4S on Sprint obviously, and I told him I was waiting for the iPhone 5 because I wanted LTE. His response: "I'm willing to put money down the next iPhone won't have LTE."

I wonder how he feels now...

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Oh man, that had to suck. It's like the rep was trying to accuse you of doing dirt when you really weren't doing anything wrong. And yes, the VZW 5S is unlocked as is the VZW Galaxy S5. Tbh, some carrier reps are just...yeah. As a matter of fact a lot of the people that come into my store say that they prefer dealing with BBY over an actual carrier store b/c going into a carrier store is always a nightmare. Plus from what I've heard, a lot of carrier store are trying to push people into those Next, Edge, Easy Pay, ect plans...as opposed to letting the customer upgrade with the standard 2yr activation amd keeping their plan the same.

Plus, carrier stores don't price match. Working at BBY, I have to deal with all the carriers and all their reps. I still say Sprint's reps are the absolute worst. But yeah a lot of cell phone reps/sales associates don't know that much about the actual technical aspects of the phone. Now with that being said, you do get some every so often who truly know their *****. You also get customers who act like they know it all because they visit androidcentral or Engadget...when in reality they don't know anything. I actually experienced that in my store the other day. So annoying.
And this wasn't even a carrier store.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Lol I love these stories.

I remember I walked into a Sprint store months away from the iPhone 5 launch. The guy wanted to sell me a 4S on Sprint obviously, and I told him I was waiting for the iPhone 5 because I wanted LTE. His response: "I'm willing to put money down the next iPhone won't have LTE."

I wonder how he feels now...

He was just saying that in order to get a sale that day.
He care's about signing you up into a contract and just wanted to get the commission.
Even if he knew there was a new iphone coming and with a 99% possibility with LTE, he was trying to persuade you to get a 4S and upgrade that time with him. Typical salesman that will do and say whatever it takes to meet their goals or get their sales up.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
He care's about signing you up into a contract and just wanted to get the commission.
Even if he knew there was a new iphone coming and with a 99% possibility with LTE, he was trying to persuade you to get a 4S and upgrade that time with him. Typical salesman that will do and say whatever it takes to meet their goals or get their sales up.

Yeah but it's just the way he said it that makes me remember it. He meant it man, he meant it!

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I was in a Verizon store right after the iPhone 5 launched and was listening to a salesperson talking about the phone to some young girls. Here were his salient points:

1. The screen is larger because it has more megapixels.

2. The back is made of titanium.

3. The Galaxy S III is faster than the iPhone 5.

4. The 4S and the 5 both have one gigabyte of RAM.

5. Video on the 4S in rendered in DVD quality and on the 5 in Blu-Ray quality.

Unbelievable. Lacking proper information, they'll just make it up. It took all my willpower not to step in and show him how abysmally stupid and uninformed he was.

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.

This 100%. Just from following this website you will know more than 95% of the employees that work in carrier stores. Never ceases to amaze me now ignorant they are.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
A carrier store probably wouldn't tolerate such behavior from their employees.
Happens on carrier stores as well. Perhaps not as frequently and/or not to the same degree, but still more than it should.

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
A carrier store probably wouldn't tolerate such behavior from their employees.
Eh I wouldn't generalize it like that but the official stores do tend to have people that don't just make up crap. I've seen official employees tell white lies but the affiliate stores or authorized stores are just blatant false information it would seam....
I was in a Verizon store right after the iPhone 5 launched and was listening to a salesperson talking about the phone to some young girls. Here were his salient points:

Unbelievable. Lacking proper information, they'll just make it up. It took all my willpower not to step in and show him how abysmally stupid and uninformed he was.
Lol thats not even the worst I've heard a sales person say. Sometimes I do step in and sometimes I don't, it depends soley on if I have some time and if the level of horse s*** being shoveled crosses a certain threshold. At Best Buy or the Apple Store if an employee doesn't know something they may try and fill in the blanks but they are usually honest and the many times I've stepped in at a Best Buy the salesmen actually doesn't argue with my facts and thanks me for filling in the details, although I dont think Best Buy does commission. I've actually gotten job offers to work in the tablet section at Best Buy and suggestions that I should work in the Mobile phone and Apple section too! Anyways of course the Android device has to be faster and better than the iPhone! Gotta make dem sales! :D Side note: I do like Android devices but carrier reps seam to really like to stretch the truth about Android phones over iPhones to sell them, some of its fair game I could argue since the iPhone has such a strong hold in society but blatant lies is crossing the line.

Yeah but it's just the way he said it that makes me remember it. He meant it man, he meant it!

Its really scary/sad when I see salesmen shoveling s*** that is so incredibly false yet they have this serious look on their face, its one thing if they genuinely think their info is correct but its another if they have deluded themselves to make a sale! :O

josephd

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2013
Some plan changes require you dealing with a rep.
I changed over to Verizon's new $60 plan, I had to call.

Looon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009

Not necessarily his fault or any sales mans fault they are being pressured by their bosses to make sales it's the whole system not one person

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Not necessarily his fault or any sales mans fault they are being pressured by their bosses to make sales it's the whole system not one person

They are pressured to make sales but they are also told to make sure they listen and satisfy the customers needs. Find products and services that fit them best and try to help them make the right decision both financially and lifestyle wise.
Not lie to them and push them to buy stuff they don't want or need just to meet their sales goals.
Its not the systems fault and not every salesperson behaves this way.
Some sales associates truly want to help and get a satisfied and repeat customer instead without being pushy or deceptive;)

uwdude

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2014

Although another thing this salesperson has to consider is the technical understanding of the customer. Some of those statements yes are ridiculous, but if he was talking to a group of young girls, I can totally see telling them DVD vs. Blu-Ray quality to give them an idea about the video, even though that's incorrect. Those girls likely would not know what terms like 1080p or 720p mean, so telling them the true specs would elicit blank stares.

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Although another thing this salesperson has to consider is the technical understanding of the customer. Some of those statements yes are ridiculous, but if he was talking to a group of young girls, I can totally see telling them DVD vs. Blu-Ray quality to give them an idea about the video, even though that's incorrect. Those girls likely would not know what terms like 1080p or 720p mean, so telling them the true specs would elicit blank stares.

Maybe, but points one, two, and four are just plain incorrect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.