Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Unlikely for one main reason: No licensing fees to use WP on devices under 8".

This creates a secondary effect where numerous OEM's have now committed to building for WP. This equates to more marketshare.

How do you figure? RIM is vertically integrated like Apple.

----------

I think it's a social device. It will start conversations.

"Wow, dude, that's one ugly phone you've got there!"

*crickets chirping*

----------

I wonder what bb is going to do now that android replaced dalvik with art, I guess amazon has them covered until they go 64 bit as well.

By the time that Android apps are being written to be ART-only (years) these phones will be obsolete.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
The Z3 also became available in Vietnam and Hong Kong earlier this month.

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
How do you figure? RIM is vertically integrated like Apple.

----------

"Wow, dude, that's one ugly phone you've got there!"

*crickets chirping*

----------

By the time that Android apps are being written to be ART-only (years) these phones will be obsolete.

Android apps are already being rewritten utilizing the art; By your own admission they are already obsolete.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Android apps are already being rewritten utilizing the art; By your own admission they are already obsolete.

An application can support both Dalvik and ART. I meant by the time developers had moved away from Dalvik support (to only supporting Android L and above) the hardware in those phones would be seriously obsolete.

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
An application can support both Dalvik and ART. I meant by the time developers had moved away from Dalvik support (to only supporting Android L and above) the hardware in those phones would be seriously obsolete.

Yes, except Google isn't going to wait around on developers taking their time, Google needs the switch to happen as soon as possible:

"But Oracle vowed to keep fighting and just scored a major win in appeals court, reports Reuters. The appeals court said that Oracle could claim copyright protection on a part of Java known as an application programming interface (API). An API is some software code that allows two programs to talk to each other."

http://www.businessinsider.com/oracle-wins-android-appeal-2014-5

It's too bad blackberry is relying on another company's ecosystem, sort of like a virtual squatter; Google doesn't owe blackberry anything.

Don't forget about 64bit as well; blackberry passport just cannot compete, DOA.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Yes, except Google isn't going to wait around on developers taking their time, Google needs the switch to happen as soon as possible:

"But Oracle vowed to keep fighting and just scored a major win in appeals court, reports Reuters. The appeals court said that Oracle could claim copyright protection on a part of Java known as an application programming interface (API). An API is some software code that allows two programs to talk to each other."

http://www.businessinsider.com/oracle-wins-android-appeal-2014-5

It's too bad blackberry is relying on another company's ecosystem, sort of like a virtual squatter; Google doesn't owe blackberry anything.

Don't forget about 64bit as well; blackberry passport just cannot compete, DOA.

??? How would ART solve Google's Java API problem?

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
art isn't infringing on oracle ip, dalvik is.
It's the reason blackberry is now relying on amazons AppStore. 64bit is another reason.

But the Java API is still copyrighted. It was Sun's way to ensure the platform did not get corrupted.

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
The new BB10 phones - Z3, Classic and Passport

That is a runtime, not the API. It is only part of the problem.

The big question now is if an API copyright is valid.

Wow you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about do you?

One more time, maybe you need time to process it.

Dalvik contained the infringing ip, not art.

Step away from the keyboard slowly. ;)

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Wow you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about do you?

One more time, maybe you need time to process it.

Step away from the keyboard slowly. ;)

I understand that what you're saying is that all Android apps require a major rewrite to be compatible (except those based on higher level frameworks).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.