Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
Those saying that there is no 5.5" iPhone will give birth to a new religion: Phablet Atheism.

MentalFloss

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2012
A lot of people seem excited about a 5.5" "phone", I don't get it, it's too big to easily use as a phone

I think I wouldn't mind using it as a phone - my main problem with the size is that I usually carry my phone in my chest pocket, and I would feel a bit strange with a huge phone sticking out two inches out of my pocket - especially as I usually listen to music from my iPhone while carrying it in that pocket.

I think this is really for people who do a lot of surfing with their mobile phone and who don't mind carrying it in their backpack, but who feel that an iPad Mini is already too big for them. Really small market in my opinion, but I'm curious to see how well it sells.

MentalFloss

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2012
There is no 5.5" iPhone.

I think it would be funny if it had actually started out as a hoax by people who were skilled enough to create believable-looking iPhone cases. As Apple never denies or confirms anything, they were not able to do anything about these rumors. They kept reading various forums and realized that some people are actually genuinely excited about it, and then they realized that the stock price made a little bump upwards whenever a 5.5 inch iPhone was mentioned. Finally, two weeks ago, Tim Cook panicked, worrying that the stock price would tumble if they don't announce a 5.5 inch iPhone on the 9th, so he finally told the teams to get one ready by then. Now, there are people looked away in the basement of the Apple campus, trying to figure out how to get that phone prototype working by Sep 9. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Could be. At this stage anyone's guesses as to names are just that: guesses. But "Air" seems light and small, so seemed a good name for the smaller MacBooks, but a bad name for the (compared to a Mini) larger, heavier iPad.

My guess is they'll have: iPhone Air for the 4.7" one, and iPhone Pro for the 5.5" one. And I REALLY hope that the 5.5" is released some time very soon, as I'm due an upgrade and don't want to wait for 2015!!

I was just referring to Apple's current naming scheme of their existing products. You're right, for the new iPhone lineup to be consistent with the naming scheme, it wouldn't make sense to call the 5.5" the Air unless it's the new standard size, which means they would have to call the 4.7" the Mini. That doesn't seem likely, so I'm doubtful the 5.5" will be called the Air. But who knows, we'll see soon.

kmj2318

macrumors 68000
Aug 22, 2007
Naples, FL
iPhone Air is a weird name. I think'll they'll do something like iPhone 6 and iPhone 6L. Just something simple to identify the larger model, not a new name. But I did think iPad Air was a bad name too when it was rumored.

SILen(e

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2012
SAMSUNG created phablet category in 2011, Apple copied it.

RIP Think different.

No!
No no no no!

Dell released the 5" Dell Streak in 2010, which would become the first Android phablet, and according to Wikipedia there have been other devices that have been called phablet before that.
They even released a 7" model of the Streak!

Samsung can't even invent "Let's make the screen bigger to sell more units"!

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
A lot of people seem excited about a 5.5" "phone", I don't get it, it's too big to easily use as a phone - why not just use an iPad mini (or better still a full-sized iPad) and Skype to make calls? Trump everyone else if size = cool, be ahead of the game and look really smart at the same time... ;)

you really don't understand the huge huge difference between a 5.5" phone and an 8" tablet?
Go compare the two side by side. you can't use an iPad mini as a PHONE...
a 5.5" is nowhere the size of something like that. its pocketable.
i have a mini and can fit it in my back jeans pocket even though i never do that. a phone will fit just fine in a normal pocket...

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida
Why there is one flash light?

Welcome!
This is obviously your 1st time on MacRumors or any Apple rumor site; as has been covered EXHAUSTIVELY since the first leak of an iPhone 6 rear shell months and months and months ago.... the two tone flash has now been adapted to a single flash w/ the same capabilities.

SirLance99

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2011
The 5.5" iPhone and NFC has been the phone from Apple I've been waiting on for a long time. The probability of me having both looks more likely than ever now. I'm excited.

ghettochris

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2008
I think I wouldn't mind using it as a phone - my main problem with the size is that I usually carry my phone in my chest pocket, and I would feel a bit strange with a huge phone sticking out two inches out of my pocket - especially as I usually listen to music from my iPhone while carrying it in that pocket.

I think this is really for people who do a lot of surfing with their mobile phone and who don't mind carrying it in their backpack, but who feel that an iPad Mini is already too big for them. Really small market in my opinion, but I'm curious to see how well it sells.

well at least5.5" siri can see out of a shirt pocket without being pinned up with a safety pin like in her. :cool:

I personally would like to see an iphone mini once the tech has shrunk enough to make it the size of the current nano or slightly bigger, with a 2.5-3" screen.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
A lot of people seem excited about a 5.5" "phone", I don't get it, it's too big to easily use as a phone - why not just use an iPad mini (or better still a full-sized iPad) and Skype to make calls? Trump everyone else if size = cool, be ahead of the game and look really smart at the same time... ;)

Take a mental step past using it as a phone. Then what do you have? A much more portable, pocketable iPad that runs all the apps in the app store. A great deal of iPhone use is not using it as a phone. So here's a nice sized, fully functional, pocketable computer with a screen big enough to really enjoy "everything else" that makes iDevices so nice. Oh, and if you want to make or take a call, it can double as a phone too.

And it's nowhere near as big as people seem to imagine (see "backpack" post also in response to yours). It will still fit in pockets, including "normal" sized pockets. A week or so ago, there was a rumor that laid out the measurements of all 3 iPhones: 5s, 4.7" and 5.5". So I went into Pages and rendered them in those sizes, laid a generic home screen on top, printed them and then cut them out (and encourage the "backpack" and "need new pants with bigger pockets" crowd to do the same). The 5.5" is a lot bigger than a 5s but it's only a little bigger than the 4.7". However, it's TINY vs. an iPad Mini.

The 5.5" size will be a terrific option for those wanting a bigger screen. And for the market at which it's probably most targeted- the Android crowd- being accustomed to 5"-6" screens means it will look "normal" to them. For them, bigger than 6" screens exist. To that segment, a 5.5" may look small and a 4.7" may look "too small".

You see what you want in a 4.7"? Great. Others see what they want in the 5.5". That another size exists has no effect on your apparent satisfaction at 4.7", anymore than 2 sizes of iMacs, iPads and/or multiple sizes of Apple notebooks has adverse effects on individual choices of an iMac, iPad or a laptop.

Last edited:

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
The iPad Air is a smaller version of the regular iPad.

You mean the old iPad? Yeah it's slimmer, but when we say "smaller" here we're referring to screen size. The "regular" iPad you refer to is gone and obsolete. The iPad Air is the new regular, hence "standard", iPad.

Last edited:

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX

If you like small then use an ipod nano. Beyond ridiculous comment comparing a 5.5 phone to an 8 inch tablet.

CloaknDagger

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2014
Take a mental step past using it as a phone. Then what do you have? A much more portable, pocketable iPad that runs all the apps in the app store. A great deal of iPhone use is not using it as a phone. So here's a nice sized, fully functional, pocketable computer with a screen big enough to really enjoy "everything else" that makes iDevices so nice. Oh, and if you want to make or take a call, it can double as a phone too.

And it's nowhere near as big as people seem to be imagine (see "backpack" post also in response to yours). It will still fit in pockets, including "normal" sized pockets. A week or so ago, there was a rumor that laid out the measurements of all 3 iPhones: 5s, 4.7" and 5.5". So I went into Pages and rendered them in those sizes, laid a generic home screen on top, printed them and then cut them out. The 5.5" is a lot bigger than a 5s but it's only a little bigger than the 4.7". However, it's TINY vs. an iPad Mini.

The 5.5" size will be a terrific option for those wanting a bigger screen. And for the market at which it's probably most targeted- the Android crowd- being accustomed to 5"-6" screens means it will look "normal" to them. For some of them, bigger than 6" screens exist. To that segment, a 5.5" may look small and a 4.7" may look "too small".

You see what you want in a 4.7"? Great. Others see what they want in the 5.5". That another size exists has no effect on your apparent satisfaction at 4.7", anymore than 2 sizes of iMacs, iPads and/or multiple sizes of Apple notebooks has adverse effects on individual choices of an iMac, iPad or a laptop.

I agree. Can't wait to browse macrumors on my new 5.5 inch screen! Although after the iPhone/iWatch announcements, not sure iOS rumors will be very captivating.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Don't care who came up with something first, means absolutely nothing and has zero impact on my choice in device. What matters is execution. The Note 4 is a powerhouse of a device, Samsung's best offering, IMO. But as good as the hardware is, I'll never own it because of the software--iOS is why this will be a better user experience, again, IMO.

Regarding the name, who honestly gives a &@$# what its official name is? Everyone is just going to refer to it as their iPhone, same as we say our iPad or our Mac. Jeez the things forum posters obsess over....

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.