Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

etchen99

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2014
So in plain English, does this mean the iphone 6 will support Sprint Spark?

Yup QFE11xx is a given as it's pretty mature at this point. The first consumer UE with QFE1100 ET came more than a year ago in the form of Note 3, followed by Nexus 5...

With MDM9625 they have to go with WTR+WFR combo, which isn't the case with the 4th gen Gobi's. WTR3925 handles CA. But oh well, you could check out the new Note 4 which will have Cat 6 setup... At least we can expect ridiculous amount of RF ports, most likely TDD this time with B41 support in a single-SKU.

I'd like to see which antenna module they're using, as SkyCross has some very interesting stuff out there.

Anyhow, these are the RF ports supported in a MDM9625 + WTR/WFR which we should expect:

milan03

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
New York City
So in plain English, does this mean the iphone 6 will support Sprint Spark?
TDD LTE on Band 41 is supported by the baseband chipset. The question is whether the North American variant will support it, or will they cram it up with Chinese/Asian variant (less likely).

What iPhone 6 won't support is Sprint's planned Carrier Aggregation of two 20MHz TDD component carriers. Obviously, Sprint's had many unfulfilled promises in the past, but one of their plans is to launch 2.5GHz intra-band Carrier Aggregation this year.

Considering that Sprint's TDD channel width is 20MHz, and that MDM9625 can support up to 20MHz of total channel width, the phone won't support 20+20 aggregated config.

It's good news for AT&T subscribers as their channels are 10MHz, so 10+10 or 10+5 will be possible. This will at least in theory even the playing field between AT&T and Verizon/T-Mobile as far as the peak data rates.

Last edited:

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Completly disregarding the Apple A7?

The 64-bit nature of the A7 is definitely exceptional in this case. However, the fact that, after more than two years of 1GB of RAM (starting with the A5X and continuing through A6, A6X, and both flavors of A7) and dual-core processors (started with the original A5 and continued through current A7 hardware), especially when applications could be written to (just like with applications in OS X) take advantage of quad-core processors, does make it seem like Apple was still being conservative.

I think Apple has become too big to successfully innovate with the major product lines. They're wary of "antenna-gate" like scenarios. Best to play it safe and still rack in billions.

Making a new hardware design with flaws (as has happened with the iPhone 3G, 4, and 5) is inevitable. That's different from, doing something different from what you've done for the last while.

"Bold enough to charge forward" is one way of saying it.

"Willing to make sacrifices in order to scream 'FIRST!" on many aspects of hardware and software that no one cares about or uses" would be another.

Do you mean to tell me that a vast majority of iPhone customers haven't wanted a 4.7" screen since before the 4.0" screened iPhone 5 first came out? No sacrifices would've been required there. Though to Apple's credit, the iPhone is 52-54% of their incoming revenue; overshadowing literally all other products and services combined. Again, they are not being bold enough in some areas and history proves it.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
people need to quit crying over 1GB of RAM, Apple's A7 and beyond is starting to incorporate DRAM right next to the CPU cores on board, this is beyond huge and gives a great multi tasking boost, plus the 1 GB of RAM obviously

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
There are far too many reasons that have been repeated far too many times as to why the iPhone is more than sufficient with 1 GB of RAM.

For today's uses, I agree, it is sufficient. For down the road, I think it would help with the longevity of usefulness for all iOS devices as, there's a noticeable difference between my third generation iPad and my iPad 2 (yes I have a bunch of iPads), when really the CPU core is the same and the graphics are only beefed up to accommodate the retina display. RAM is the only difference. I think 1GB of RAM was a great move starting with A5X and then with A6, but at some point, so our iPads, iPhones, and iPod touches (if Apple ever updates that line) it makes sense to further update to 2GB.

people need to quit crying over 1GB of RAM, Apple's A7 and beyond is starting to incorporate DRAM right next to the CPU cores on board, this is beyond huge and gives a great multi tasking boost, plus the 1 GB of RAM obviously

I don't think 1GB is insufficient for today at all. I do worry about down the road with future versions of iOS though...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.