Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yeah

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
Troll? Or just unnecessary comment?

I live in a smaller city in northern Indiana. So far, on day one of my test drive, tmobile is outperforming the other three networks. I have had all three networks, with verizon and att both being in the past year.

Last year tmobile was horrible here. They have made huge progress in the last year. I'm am stunned thus far.

AutoUnion is known for his hatred towards T-Mobile, even though he doesn't use T-Mobile anymore.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
I think I am. With WiFi calling coming to iOS8, it fixes the 1 real problem I had w/ TMO when I tested it out, reception at home & at work. Outside, it's been great. Faster than AT&T in my tests. Inside, I almost always have WiFi. Their service has improved vastly since the last time I tested them out a couple years ago and they keep getting better.

I checked around w/ people I know who have TMO in other cities I travel to and they said they were very happy with it. For me, the biggest thing is the free roaming on the Simple Plan. That is the main reason for me to switch.

And I can always switch back to AT&T if I don't like it. I buy my phones outright so the no contract things is another + for TMO in my book.

AbyssImpact

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2010
Plan on purchasing an unlocked iPhone and then setting up Walmart's $30 per month unlimited Text and Data and 100 minute plan.

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
After one day and extensive testing with test drive, I am switching. Service us great and the plans are wonderful.

Woochifer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
Right.

My question is this: Unlocked iphones typically are not available right away. Are tmobile iphones, like the other 3 carriers?

The T-Mobile model is the same thing as the factory unlocked version, except that it comes preloaded with a T-Mobile SIM. They are otherwise identical if you buy it at an Apple store. If you purchase through T-Mobile, the phone is not factory unlocked. This is why the T-Mobile iPhone 5s models were the first ones to sell out on launch day last year, and will likely be in very high demand again this year.

Last edited:

Eileen89

macrumors 65816
Aug 12, 2014
I would never switch to T-Mobile as my primary carrier since there are still far too many pockets of 2G coverage and No Service as well. AT&T is much better for coverage in the area of Philly.

Woochifer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
After one day and extensive testing with test drive, I am switching. Service us great and the plans are wonderful.

Check your coverage in the outlying areas, if that matters to you. In my almost full year with T-Mo, the non-metro data coverage has been the only drawback. But, I run into that issue so infrequently that it's irrelevant compared to the cost savings and not having to deal with the BS from AT&T or Verizon.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Troll? Or just unnecessary comment?

I live in a smaller city in northern Indiana. So far, on day one of my test drive, tmobile is outperforming the other three networks. I have had all three networks, with verizon and att both being in the past year.

Last year tmobile was horrible here. They have made huge progress in the last year. I'm am stunned thus far.

Yeah. Try leaving your area or getting to the outskirts of it. 2G galore!

T-Mo is only good at marketing gimmicks (Uncarrier) and lying to the public ("Nationwide 4G")

They might out-perform AT&T/VZW if you purposely cherry-pick spots where TMo actually has working service, but if you actually factor in overall data speeds and coverage, they're not even on the stratosphere. T-Mobile's entire 2G network is about the size of AT&T/VZW's LTE network.

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Um....I spend 95% percent of
My time, at this point in my
life, in this area. So it covers me. Sometimes I drive all the way to Chicago or Indianapolis... Not a problem either.

I drove all over northern Indiana and Michigan today. Lte frequently, and other times I had 4g that was pulling 20+ MBs a sec. On lte it was in the thirty to forties.

Tmobile is the only carrier of the four to have legit service in my basement.

So I am going to switch. I am going to enjoy the savings, the steaming music and other advantages, and maybe whatever it is they are going to announce sept 9th.

What is I don't like them? I'll know pretty fast and can switch back to att the next day. I owe my phones and will own my next phone

Jump is a great option... Hell
I might even use it one day. But not soon.

There is a reason tmobile is growing so fast. A big part of that is their network is improving so dramatically.

You don't like them. We all get it. You wouldn't be caught dead using them. I am sure you are an expert on how much they suck. So why not leave it at that?

It's not like we are moving to sprint... Now that's a nightmare.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
I lol'd at that BS you're spewing.

What is this BS I'm spewing? Please enlighten me.

AT&T/VZW's LTE networks are about the size of T-Mobile's entire network footprint. Fact.

You can conveniently try to cherry pick my posts all you want... but you still have no answer to one question kid. How does T-Mobile have "Nationwide 4G," especially if they have the largest 2G network out there?

Woochifer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
I think I am. With WiFi calling coming to iOS8, it fixes the 1 real problem I had w/ TMO when I tested it out, reception at home & at work. Outside, it's been great. Faster than AT&T in my tests. Inside, I almost always have WiFi. Their service has improved vastly since the last time I tested them out a couple years ago and they keep getting better.

I checked around w/ people I know who have TMO in other cities I travel to and they said they were very happy with it. For me, the biggest thing is the free roaming on the Simple Plan. That is the main reason for me to switch.

And I can always switch back to AT&T if I don't like it. I buy my phones outright so the no contract things is another + for TMO in my book.

Exactly. This is why I like owning my phone outright and having a contract-free plan. I like my T-Mobile prepaid plan, and the service has been very good. But, if I wind up going to a family plan, I'm certainly open to options, whether from AT&T, T-Mo, or someone else. Going unlocked and contract-free allows me to explore those options at any time.

So far though, T-Mobile seems intent on keeping customers like me. Something simple like whitelisting music streaming services from data caps lowered my data usage from 3-4 GB every month to about 1-1.5 GB. This makes something like T-Mo's $100 2.5GB/line family plan a lot more feasible for me (whereas before, AT&T's shared family data plans might have been more attractive, because I'd likely use more data than my wife or parents). Plus, they quietly added tethering for prepaid customers.

----------

No thanks. I actually like having a working network.

Yeah, this is actually pretty funny. :cool:

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
I buy my phones outright so the no contract things is another + for TMO in my book.

You're acting like no contract phones didn't exist before T-Mobile...

You have always been able to go out and buy a contract-free phone. And if you bought them from AT&T, they'd unlock it for you in a few days. The option to get a plan contract-free has existed for a long time. They never forced you to sign up for a contract on a SIM-only plan, where you brought your own phone...

Woochifer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007

You have always been able to go out and buy a contract-free phone. And if you bought them from AT&T, they'd unlock it for you in a few days. The option to get a plan contract-free has existed for a long time. They never forced you to sign up for a contract on a SIM-only plan, where you brought your own phone...

And their postpaid plans offered no BYOD pricing, and the data allowances on their prepaid plans were a joke.

yeah

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
What is this BS I'm spewing? Please enlighten me.

AT&T/VZW's LTE networks are about the size of T-Mobile's entire network footprint. Fact.

You can conveniently try to cherry pick my posts all you want... but you still have no answer to one question kid. How does T-Mobile have "Nationwide 4G," especially if they have the largest 2G network out there?

I was talking about Un-Carrier offerings, not the network.

Yes, that's T-Mobile's weakness, as they have a lot of 2G, but that's being upgraded to LTE.

Just wait until T-Mobile purchases more 700A MHz spectrum...

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008

Calm down now. lol. Yes, I know this which is how I'm able to buy my iPhone outright per my post. I always buy the unlocked phone direct from Apple and just swap the SIM. But You're charged the same monthly fee as someone on contract w/ subsidized phone, which I think is unfair if I've purchased my phone straight up. Perhaps I worded it wrong but sentiment stands. AT&T will do everything in their power to get you to sign a 2 year. When I had to update my unlimited plan to the LTE version, the rep tried to tell me I had to sign a new 2 year contract regardless of if I had my own eq. I knew this was wrong and I escalated it. Other than a handful of times like that, I've been happy with them for the past 14 years but I like the direction TMO is headed.

And their postpaid plans offered no BYOD pricing, and the data allowances on their prepaid plans were a joke.

+1

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
Um....I spend 95% percent of
My time, at this point in my
life, in this area. So it covers me. Sometimes I drive all the way to Chicago or Indianapolis... Not a problem either.

I drove all over northern Indiana and Michigan today. Lte frequently, and other times I had 4g that was pulling 20+ MBs a sec. On lte it was in the thirty to forties.

Tmobile is the only carrier of the four to have legit service in my basement.

So I am going to switch. I am going to enjoy the savings, the steaming music and other advantages, and maybe whatever it is they are going to announce sept 9th.

What is I don't like them? I'll know pretty fast and can switch back to att the next day. I owe my phones and will own my next phone

Jump is a great option... Hell
I might even use it one day. But not soon.

There is a reason tmobile is growing so fast. A big part of that is their network is improving so dramatically.

You don't like them. We all get it. You wouldn't be caught dead using them. I am sure you are an expert on how much they suck. So why not leave it at that?

It's not like we are moving to sprint... Now that's a nightmare.

Where exactly in Northern Indiana? I found T-Mobile to be spotty there.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
No thanks. I actually like having a working network.

I get 30mps LTE speeds on T-Mobile and I live in a rural farming area. T-Mobile has been refarming a ton of towers lately and where once I had Edge speeds, now I have LTE.
There is a reason T-Mobile has been gaining more customers than ATT & Verizon the last few quarters.

MacR5

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 30, 2007
Yeah. Try leaving your area or getting to the outskirts of it. 2G galore!

T-Mo is only good at marketing gimmicks (Uncarrier) and lying to the public ("Nationwide 4G")

They might out-perform AT&T/VZW if you purposely cherry-pick spots where TMo actually has working service, but if you actually factor in overall data speeds and coverage, they're not even on the stratosphere. T-Mobile's entire 2G network is about the size of AT&T/VZW's LTE network.

I was using my Verizon iPhone today in a little, rural, middle of nowhere town... called Downtown Los Angeles and got a fantastic 2mb/s download speed outside and zero data inside a building while having a LTE connection. Last week at the Hollywood Bowl I couldn't get any data on my Verizon iPhone but the T-mobile phone got 20mb/s download, and we're talking right in the middle of one of the biggest cities in the US. It seems Verizon may have the edge in the boondocks that I rarely travel to but, perhaps, their city connections are congested or overtaxed because the data has not been great in our experience.

My wife and I travel a fair amount and in just the past 2-3 months have been in LA, San Diego, Seattle, Boston, DC, NY, San Francisco, Santa Barbara and a number of places between and while we've always had 'LTE' data, we often don't get 'LTE' speeds and get maybe 2-3 mb/s download speeds. Verizon may have the largest 'LTE' network but if you're only getting a few mb/s in most major cities then it's not really 'LTE' is it.

makerleone

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2014
USA
No, i am not sure with T-Mobile, i want to go with AT&T because AT&T have good coverage then T-Mobile.

Lamarak

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
I don't like that the each line is limited to 2.5G per line. That was a deal breaker for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.