Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JayIsAwesome

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2013
Texas
If you are so unhappy about apple, what are you doing at this apple fansite.
I don' t get these trollers around here. If you are happy with your choices, just ... Be happy.

Samsung will came with his Galaxy " Alpha" .It is 4.7 inch, has a 1800 or something mah battery , 720p res. And it has a steel frame.
And it is about 599 us dollars.

But that is ok in 2014?
You don' t see me going to android/samsung forums to shout about this...

Go and have a workout. Just be happy with your choices, and let others be happy about their choices.

Difference being is that the Alpha is not Samsung's flagship device. The S5 is. The S5 has a 1080p display, one of the best cameras in the industry, and 2gbs of RAM. If the rumored specs of the upcoming i6 were for the iPhone 6C (or non flagship device) and then cool. But for this to be on their flagship device? Wtf? So basically the rumored specs of the 6 just barely matches that of some mid ranged Galaxy phone?

And dude, chill out. Jeez some of you people get so upset the minute somebody stops praising the almighty Apple. The people on this forum who aren't eating up the iCrap that Apple is dishing, simply want Apple to do better. This doesn't have a damn thing to do with trolling. They just want better. And people like many on this site, the "I don't care about specs/it's apple so I'll support it/ don't bash apple/you're a troll if you don't worship the late great Steve Jobs" are the reasons that Apple continues to BS. They realize, "hey why try any harder...our fans will buy anything we sell and defend us to no end"

JayIsAwesome

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2013
Texas
The funny part is that even apple fans (like myself) are being bashed for criticising the poor choices the company makes. I truily want Apple to be that "wow" company again... And many here should realise this is not the case with Apple anymore.

Thank you! This is exactly what I'm saying! But when you question Apple, you get labeled as a "troll" I mean wtf? I'm a troll b/c I refuse to kiss the ass of Tim Cook and act like Apple can do no wrong? I, just like you, want Apple to do better! And there's nothing wrong with that. I'm hoping that Apple comes out swinging with the iPhone 6. I want the Apple of 2007 and/2010 back. I want the the industry to be turned on it's ear again. They did it in 2007 and again in 2010. Damn it, do it again in 2014!

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
Thank you! This is exactly what I'm saying! But when you question Apple, you get labeled as a "troll" I mean wtf? I'm a troll b/c I refuse to kiss the ass of Tim Cook and act like Apple can do no wrong? I, just like you, want Apple to do better! And there's nothing wrong with that. I'm hoping that Apple comes out swinging with the iPhone 6. I want the Apple of 2007 and/2010 back. I want the the industry to be turned on it's ear again. They did it in 2007 and again in 2010. Damn it, do it again in 2014!
The Industry is turned on it's ear again with iOS 8, health kit, home kit, CarPlay, Beats, Yosemite, continuity, IBM partnership, American Express Visa and MasterCard partnership, upgraded iCloud, iPhone 6 and the iWatch I could go on all day but you missed it and that sad.
Oh almost forgot they launched their own DCN.

ValO

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2012
Difference being is that the Alpha is not Samsung's flagship device. The S5 is. The S5 has a 1080p display, one of the best cameras in the industry, and 2gbs of RAM. If the rumored specs of the upcoming i6 were for the iPhone 6C (or non flagship device) and then cool. But for this to be on their flagship device? Wtf? So basically the rumored specs of the 6 just barely matches that of some mid ranged Galaxy phone?

And dude, chill out. Jeez some of you people get so upset the minute somebody stops praising the almighty Apple. The people on this forum who aren't eating up the iCrap that Apple is dishing, simply want Apple to do better. This doesn't have a damn thing to do with trolling. They just want better. And people like many on this site, the "I don't care about specs/it's apple so I'll support it/ don't bash apple/you're a troll if you don't worship the late great Steve Jobs" are the reasons that Apple continues to BS. They realize, "hey why try any harder...our fans will buy anything we sell and defend us to no end"

I should chill out?
Dude seriously.....
It is only a phone and samsung and apple are both companies that want our money.
That' s all, don' t be a fool... Enjoy your phone, the one you choose and be happy.
In the end it is all about the practical use you get out of a device, not just the paper specs of a device. It is about software, integration, ease of use and responsiveness, etc. In all the examples i prefer ios above android. Tried it, didn' t like it, went back. Didn' t make a fuss about it.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Now take a screen shot of that said letter. ...
Guess what. They will look exactly the same.

You may or may not have been exposed to a science class where one had to use a laboratory instrument such as an actual optical microscope. Screenshots don't look anywhere near same as in real life at higher optical magnifications. Actual display pixels, under an optical microscope, are almost completely different looking than any magnified screenshot, in shape, spacing, geometric arrangement, color and other factors.

The trick is, the human eye is fooled at a great enough viewing distance into thinking they might be the same. People who don't know how their eyes can be fooled are indeed fools.

Zinthar

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2006
I missed the fun part, though? Or do you think that it is funny that an OS does proper memory management? Unused RAM is wasted RAM. Since no other app needs it, you will of course want to have as much as possible or it dedicated to caching and look-ahead.

You must have missed the part where he force closed all applications and cleared memory in settings to empty the cache before doing this. Compare the RAM usage (not to mention the responsiveness) of the S5 against the M8 and the inefficiency of TouchWiz is very clear.

By comparison, on an iPhone 5 with every app force closed, ~112 MB of RAM is wired and another 95 MB is active.

But hey, Samsung makes great software and OS's... said no one ever.

----------

Some of the specifications of the Alpha exceed that of the S5. For instance, the Exynos 5430 in the Alpha is a higher-clocked successor to the Exynos-equipped S5 models. The GPU will almost certainly still be awful, but that was the case with the S5's Exynos model as well.

Also, the iPhone 5S already has a better camera than S5, so Apple could have chosen to do nothing and come out ahead on that front. Instead, they'll improve the sensor and processor and expand that lead.

If you're going to write BS, at least try to *pretend* that you have a clue how any of this works.

----------

Through my personal experience the A7 in my iPad Mini Retina, so it has higher thermal room, is slower and less responsive then the Snapdragon 800 in my Nexus 5. So based on that I know which one I would rather have, the 801 would be even faster.

Well, I guess that shows how mistaken one's perception can be. Objective tests demonstrate that the 5S is quicker than the Nex 5 in pretty much every respect (including touch latency, in addition to the more powerful SoC).

Even if we're willing to go by "perception", your observation is pretty much the opposite of the overwhelming consensus.

In my experience, the iPad Air is definitely noticeably more responsive and "quicker" than the One M8 w/ Kitkat. I haven't tested the Nex 5, but the M8 should be faster.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Well, I guess that shows how mistaken one's perception can be. Objective tests demonstrate that the 5S is quicker than the Nex 5 in pretty much every respect (including touch latency, in addition to the more powerful SoC).

Even if we're willing to go by "perception", your observation is pretty much the opposite of the overwhelming consensus.

In my experience, the iPad Air is definitely noticeably more responsive and "quicker" than the One M8 w/ Kitkat. I haven't tested the Nex 5, but the M8 should be faster.

I don't have an iPhone 5S though? I have an iPad Mini Retina and compared to that my Nexus 5 is faster and smoother, say what you want about speed tests, but my 'experience' is that the iPad IS slower.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
Maybe you should all calm down. If the rumours about the new screen resolution are true, then I have the following comments to make:
  • 1080p resolution of course looks better, but the difference is for most people not that big. The iPhone's 5S display is already sharp and looks great, so nothing would change.
  • Having said that, I would prefer to see a 1080p display, but I understand the implications for developers, as described in Gruber's article.
  • A great display is made of more than just its PPI. Color gamut, Gamma, Saturation, SRGB color space, contrast, brightness. The iPhone 5S has excelled in most of these areas and I expect even better for the iPhone 6. What is important, is the overall experience we get by using a smartphone. If the display is really great, then I can certainly live with 326PPI. It will still look really great, and the lack of sharpness compared to an 1080p display won't be visible to most of us, or won't make a difference in every day usage...
  • Interesting seems to be the 5,5" display, if of course the rumors are true. It is going to have an insane display resolution. That could be a reason for me to get the 5,5 instead of the 4,7" iPhone..I guess we will see in a couple of days.

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
Guess what. They will look exactly the same.

Ok, I guess this was too hard for you to figure out, so here goes: no, they will not look the same. Nothing of the sort.

You are looking at a 4" display @ 326 ppi with some specific color reproduction, reflections and whatnots. I am looking at a 1136 x 640 bitmap on a 27" screen @ 106 ppi with completely different color balance, ambient conditions etc.

There is no way (as in that it is physically impossible) that what you see and what I see would be anywhere near the same.

If you want to try and share what you see, take a photo, not a screenshot. But since I (and someone else before me) already posted that screen comparison photo where everybody can clearly see the lack of detail due to low resolution of the iPhone, I don't think that there is any need for you to further underline the issue.

----------

By comparison, on an iPhone 5 with every app force closed, ~112 MB of RAM is wired and another 95 MB is active.

Wow, the iPhone has really terrible memory management then, it would seem. Why let all that unused RAM go to waste?

Are you sure that it is not just a matter of how it is reported? Because if the os is actually sitting on ~800 mb of unused ram, well, I really don't know what to say.

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
Just making a suggestion since you're seeing pixelization#

Given that it is so obvious when those thin line graphics are present all the time in the status bar, how could I not see it? Except for turning of the screen or placing it face down on the table?

JayIsAwesome

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2013
Texas
I should chill out?
Dude seriously.....
It is only a phone and samsung and apple are both companies that want our money.
That' s all, don' t be a fool... Enjoy your phone, the one you choose and be happy.
In the end it is all about the practical use you get out of a device, not just the paper specs of a device. It is about software, integration, ease of use and responsiveness, etc. In all the examples i prefer ios above android. Tried it, didn' t like it, went back. Didn' t make a fuss about it.

Umm I never said didn't enjoy whatever phone I had. My point is simply I, just like many on here, want Apple to do better. I don't see how it's wrong of me to say that. If I came off as being an ***** in my last post, then my bad. But damn it dude, I get so annoyed at being bashed or accused of being a troll (seriously wtf?) b/c I'm not praising everything Apple throws out. Like I said, I just want Apple to do better. End of

JayIsAwesome

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2013
Texas
The Industry is turned on it's ear again with iOS 8, health kit, home kit, CarPlay, Beats, Yosemite, continuity, IBM partnership, American Express Visa and MasterCard partnership, upgraded iCloud, iPhone 6 and the iWatch I could go on all day but you missed it and that sad.
Oh almost forgot they launched their own DCN.

No, go back and rewatch the original iPhone unveiling and rewatch the iPhone 4 unveiling, then you'll understand what I'm talking about. Apple wasn't just staying ahead of the curve. Apple was the damn curve

fredcintra

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2011
Because you can. Way more than that.

if I put my nose on my phone I'm pretty sure I can, but at the distance I use my phone more than 300ppi is not noticeable, I tested several phone above 400ppi and I see no difference from 300 ppi at normal distance

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.