Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kovan94

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2014
I have aMacBook Pro 2009 15"
the hard disk doesn't work anymore. Let me explain, I still can turn on the Mac, but the only thing that works is OS X Recovery. I tried everything but I can't format or restore the hard disk. The hard disk still show up in the recovery menu, but I can't do anything, can't even format/restore/ for some reason.
So I decided to change hard disk.

What will happen after I changed hard disk?
Will i still be able to acces to OS X?
Do I need to install the Os again? Because I lost the CDs.
It's a easy task? From the guide that I saw looks easy, should I try by my self?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 65

awests

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2014
Bay Area, CA
I have aMacBook Pro 2009 15"
the hard disk doesn't work anymore. Let me explain, I still can turn on the Mac, but the only thing that works is OS X Recovery. I tried everything but I can't format or restore the hard disk. The hard disk still show up in the recovery menu, but I can't do anything, can't even format/restore/ for some reason.
So I decided to change hard disk.

What will happen after I changed hard disk?
Will i still be able to acces to OS X?
Do I need to install the Os again? Because I lost the CDs.
It's a easy task? From the guide that I saw looks easy, should I try by my self?

1. Do you have a backup?

2. If so, then replace the hard disk in the laptop, and boot into recovery mode and restore the system from the backup.

3. If you do not have a backup, replace disk, and boot into internet recovery mode.

Replacing the disk is easy, just need a couple screw drivers and some guides online (ifixit should have all of it for you).

kovan94

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2014
No. I don't have backup but I don't really care. Thank you so much for your reply. I will replace HD tomorrow and proceed with the internet recovery

:)

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
I am not 100% sure, but I think your Mac is too old to have the internet recovery option.

You should be able to either use another Mac to make a recovery usb drive, or contact apple to order a replacement disc of the original operating system.

kovan94

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2014
Can Anyone confirm? :(

----------

I am not 100% sure, but I think your Mac is too old to have the internet recovery option.

You should be able to either use another Mac to make a recovery usb drive, or contact apple to order a replacement disc of the original operating system.

MacBook Pro 15" 2009
A1286

kovan94

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2014
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4904

Your MacBook does not have Internet recovery. You are going to need either a Snow Leopard DVD installer or access to another Mac to download Mavericks and make yourself a USB key installer.

Ok thank you :)
Tips for buying new HD?
Don't want to spend too much because I will use my MBP only for few years
2.5 for 9.5mm sata right?

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Ok thank you :)
Tips for buying new HD?
Don't want to spend too much because I will use my MBP only for few years
2.5 for 9.5mm sata right?

9.5mm SATA yes, either 5400rpm or 7200rpm drive. you could also consider a hybrid/SSD drive if you so choose (much much faster).

as previously stated, you will require the install CD or USB based drive.

niteflyr

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2011
Southern Cal
When you buy the new drive, pick up an ext. USB drive enclosure or dock. Then boot to recovery and install OSX on the new drive first, then swap the drives.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.