Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jian

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 5, 2008
San Francisco
So yes, in today's age, 16gig is almost close to 0gig, I understand that, but here's why I decide to stay with 16gig again.

First of all, it's the cost. While $100 isn't too bad for a jump from 16 to 64, the extra $100 for the extra screen size and battery life (6+) will double my annual $200 iPhone budget. I get a new iPhone every year so paying 400 a year for an
upgrade every year is a little pricy. I should say my debate was between a 64g iPhone 6 or 16g 6+. With the extra features, I rather invest the 100 on 6+ rather than the extra 48gig of storage.

Data wise, my current 16gig iPhone 5s is just doing fine. I understand with the extra screen size, most of the apps will now require extra amount of spaces. I don't play graphic heavy games on my phone, in fact the only games I have on it is Clash of Clan and boom beach. I have a lot of photos, but they are all stored on iCloud and once in a while I will move them into iPhoto or something, and I have a screenshot of my storage usage attached in the thread, I use 6 gigs of my 12 usable gig allowance.

The only concern I am really having is if I can do the 6+ size, I am an average asian male so my palms aren't that big, but I am not a midget so I can still manage the size. I downloaded the iPhone 6 sizing chart thing and iPhone 6 is almost the same size as my 5S with a giant iOttie case on, but 6+ is like having 3 cases on, if I am holding it on my right hand, I wouldn't be able to text with one hand.

Most of the time I type with two hands anyway so it wouldn't affect me as much, but still.

The dilemma still goes but if theres not a legit reason to convince me before 12:01 tonight, gold iPhone 6+ 16G it is.:apple::apple:
Thoughts?

Attachments

• image1.PNG
    image1.PNG
    128 KB · Views: 81
  • image2.PNG
    image2.PNG
    68 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:

dieburnbot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
CA
Thought?

You cray cray, but whatever floats your boat. I think 100 dollars to have 48 gigs of extra storage for a year isn't bad at all.

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
I rarely use over 11gb so thats why I'm getting 16gb. The extra 48gb is not worth the extra 100 dollars. whatever works for you.

jian

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 5, 2008
San Francisco
Thought?

You cray cray, but whatever floats your boat. I think 100 dollars to have 48 gigs of extra storage for a year isn't bad at all.

Like I said, I would spend 100 extra to get that 48 gigs, but I rather spend that 100 on longer battery life and better camera. I am only willing to spend extra ONE hundred, so between 48 gigs or better features.. I go with better features.

cray cray? lol....

IXDoubleDXI

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2011
Central Florida
Why not go with the 16gb 6+, then get the 20gb iCloud tier for $.99/month? You're essentially meeting half way with the 64gb and getting the larger size. You may not even need the 20gb, but you mentioned either or for 64gb 6 or 16gb 6+, so it's kind of meeting in the middle for $12 more.

jian

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 5, 2008
San Francisco
I have a 16gb I5s and I have never needed more storage. If I went bigger I would skip the 64 and go 128.

I never really needed a bigger storage too. I mean if I load everything, I mean EVERYTHING into my iPhone, I would need a 64 gig, but take out movies and the type of games that I only play once or twice, I have more than plenty.

C. Robert

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2013
Baltimore
I never really needed a bigger storage too. I mean if I load everything, I mean EVERYTHING into my iPhone, I would need a 64 gig, but take out movies and the type of games that I only play once or twice, I have more than plenty.

I hate clutter and I would never carry movies on my phone that I have watched or aren't going to watch.

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California
I agree that the extra storage and cost for the bigger screen is now taking what I've become used to $199 and turning it into $450+ ON contract. Plus, everything is in the cloud and streaming now.

techspin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2014
Sounds like 16 is the way to go for you, esp if you store all your media on iCloud. If you're famous, be sure to use two step authentication to make sure nothing embarrassing leaks on the Internet. :p

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Bravo for making a decision based on what you are comfortable affording versus what you WANT.

If Apple keeps their pricing scheme this way I think we will see fewer people upgrade yearly. Maybe. IDK. The struggle is real.

JayJamesWaller

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2011
Swansea, Wales
Good to hear dude. I'm a fellow 16GB'er myself and have never needed anything more, despite always making the most of my iPhones. Hope you enjoy your new 6 Plus! :)

Chocolatemilty

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Thank you so much for this post, OP! You got me thinking now in entertaining the 16GB 6+.

New iCloud storage pricing puts 200GB in the cloud for $50/year, or $4/month. Essentially, my entire photo library will be chillin up there whenever I need to pull it down, much like my entire music library lives with Google and Spotify fills in the blanks.

That then puts my streaming budget (iCloud/Netflix/Spotify) at $13/month (sisters offset Netflix for me, Spotify on $5 student discount). That’s $156/year for my media to come from the cloud with my unlimited data plan (and I find myself pulling down Spotify playlists or loading up my Google Music playlists with my iTunes library on device every now and then to supplant data usage using wifi). 64GB will not allow me to keep all my photos and music on my device anyway for the $100 premium. Then, I’d get the bigger screen, bigger battery, OIS on camera, extra utility.

I suppose I'm already talking myself into this, aren't I?

dannynjoni

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2010
Grrrr! I think you just talked me into 128GB.

We are on the road a LOT. Many of our stops have horrible to no cellular reception too. It's getting better, but not good enough yet IMO. I've had 32GB on my iPhone 5s and am constantly deleting things, as and I am a photo/video buff. I also enjoy a movie or a book on my IOS device quite often. 128GB still won't be "enough", but it'll feel pretty roomy for a long time I think.

Also- I will officially have the biggest iPhone ever built with the most storage ever too! (Very American I think ;))

jian

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 5, 2008
San Francisco
Grrrr! I think you just talked me into 128GB.

We are on the road a LOT. Many of our stops have horrible to no cellular reception too. It's getting better, but not good enough yet IMO. I've had 32GB on my iPhone 5s and am constantly deleting things, as and I am a photo/video buff. I also enjoy a movie or a book on my IOS device quite often. 128GB still won't be "enough", but it'll feel pretty roomy for a long time I think.

Also- I will officially have the biggest iPhone ever built with the most storage ever too! (Very American I think ;))

I don't really road trip much but when I do, I always end up getting my internet throttled because I would stream lots of random craps on youtube. I only have problem with space when I try to load movies into my phone, but then I don't have the patient to watch a whole movie on a phone anyway.

jian

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 5, 2008
San Francisco
Bravo for making a decision based on what you are comfortable affording versus what you WANT.

If Apple keeps their pricing scheme this way I think we will see fewer people upgrade yearly. Maybe. IDK. The struggle is real.

Another reason that I want to keep my phone as cheap as possible...I get a new iPhone every year....

gabo864

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
I have an iPhone 5s 16Gb and I have 4gb left of storage. I have everything I need. I used to always max out my storage, but it was mainly because I wanted to have all my music library, now thanks to Spotify I can have all the music I want :D and not have to worry about storage.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
I'm also getting the 16GB model.

Most of my stuff is in the cloud. I only ever use up storage for apps. My music is all on Spotify, I use Netflix and TV apps, and I rarely watch stuff on my phone anyways. I have my iPad for that.

sakau2007

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
I am unsure if I am going with 16 or 64. My gut says I'll end up with the 64 though.

People act like it is a difference between $299 and $399... but when you factor in service, you could look at it like the difference between $1600 and $1700... for 4x the storage. Now granted if you'll never need it then it is a waste, but if you even think you might... it is definitely worth it imo.

Prise

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2008
Likewise, I've never exceeded 10 GBs on my phone, even with tons of music on it. For me, 16 GBs are more than enough.

jian

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 5, 2008
San Francisco
I'm also getting the 16GB model.

Most of my stuff is in the cloud. I only ever use up storage for apps. My music is all on Spotify, I use Netflix and TV apps, and I rarely watch stuff on my phone anyways. I have my iPad for that.

I usually load my music library into my phone because I bought everything on iTunes and I try my best to limit my data usage for something else. I have a very small music library though, 1-2 gigs at most. Sad, I know.

bmms8

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2007
Im also getting the 16 because of the iCloud storage. $1 a month for 20GB is fine with me.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
I usually load my music library into my phone because I bought everything on iTunes and I try my best to limit my data usage for something else. I have a very small music library though, 1-2 gigs at most. Sad, I know.

Thats pretty much the size of mine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.