Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 18, 2011
Guess CEO of Watches Writes Open Letter to Apple CEO Tim Cook Welcoming Him to the Industry
http://www.iclarified.com/43856/gue...le-ceo-tim-cook-welcoming-him-to-the-industry

LETTER TO CEO OF APPLE, FROM CEO OF GUESS WATCHES

Dear Mr. Cook:

I wanted to write to you and welcome you to the Watch Industry and also offer my personal thanks to you.

As one of the largest fashion watch brands in the word, we have been around for more than 30 years. In the early 80's, there was really on WATCH (the brand) and GUESS Watches. At that time, we had many critics who thought we were crazy. No one thought that anyone would want this new type of "novelty" timepiece. They believed that the only "real" alternatives were Swiss mechanicals or traditional quartz timepieces. Fortunately for us, consumers thought differently!

We are part of an old and proud industry. Every year we've experienced change in some way. Over these years, we have seen the introduction of quartz movements, the rise and fall of calculator watches, digitals, analogue-digitals and many many brands, both big and small. It seems that the test of time has shown that the wrist is an obvious place for both function and fashion.

Fast-forward to today and the wold has chcanged. The proliferation of smartphones and the demand of consumers for round-the-clock connectivity have changed the way people access time. This has caused an understandable fear and challenge in our industry (even if no one likes to admit it).

We personally welcome this new challenge to remain relevant to our young, sexy and adventurous consumers who see as much importance in the device they carry and the messaging app they use, as the clothing and accessory brands they buy.

Over the past year, there has been dramatic speculation of the future of "wearables" and Apple's entre into this segment. This week, you delivered! Just as we had in the early 80's, there are naysayers and believers. I, for one, am a fan! Your innovation and attention to detail is spectacular.

In today's connect wold, consumers deserve the next level of combining fashion and function. We've always been much more than a watch. Now, we too are going to take that concept even further. As we look forward to the launch of our own connected timepiece for GUESS... "Powered by MARTIAN", we're happy to have another true brand innovator in our industry that confirms the wrist as the dominant place for self-expression.

Congratulations.

Cindy Livingston

A scan of the letter is in the link.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I'm not sure Guess has any relevance... from their homepage... ew...

Attachments

• both_block11.jpg
    both_block11.jpg
    287.8 KB · Views: 812

jeremysteele

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2011
I'm not sure Guess has any relevance... from their homepage... ew...

Is it weird I've never even heard of them?

I've heard of richemont, rolex, and a few others... but never Guess.

Still pretty cool of them to welcome the challenge. Let's hope the watch industry avoids the same lame Samsung commercials we're used to seeing in the phone/tablet market.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
Is it weird I've never even heard of them?

I've heard of richemont, rolex, and a few others... but never Guess.

Still pretty cool of them to welcome the challenge. Let's hope the watch industry avoids the same lame Samsung commercials we're used to seeing in the phone/tablet market.

they're a clothing company primarily. not known for their timepieces.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.