Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
As one of those rare folks who can comfortably use a 5.5" phone with one hand with no issue, please just ****.

Yes, I am 6'8" and larger than the average bear, and I have been waiting for a larger screen iPhone for a while. I had a 4S but the screen was just too damned small, so I jumped ship to a Note 2 and I love it, but I always said if I could get an iOS device with the same screen size I'd do it in a heartbeat, so I am now waiting for my 64GB 6+.

Not everyone looks ridiculous using a large phone, it's just a matter of scale.

Thank you.

I bet you look MORE "ridiculous" using a 4" phone lol.

There's a "butt for every seat" or so they say. That being said, the nice thing for Apple to do after years of proclaimining they had mobile phone operation "figured out" and that 3.5-4" was the "perfect size" would have been to at least offer one as an OPTION. Part of the hypocrisy in all this in my opinion has been their abandonment of a platform that really can be used with one hand for "most" people.

It kinda makes everything they said before BS (or at least foggy, in the minds of the apologists =)).

I'll be ok with the 6, but may want the Plus at some point in the future (my brother is getting one, so I'll see first and THEN make my decision).

Somehow I think I'll be able to live with the envy if I have to "only" use a 6 non-Plus for a few weeks lol. If not, please avenge my death mr. Giant dude.

taedouni

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
California
Apple didn't make a mistake, people who ordered a phone that was too big for them made a mistake. Know what you want before you order next time around.

----------

As one of those rare folks who can comfortably use a 5.5" phone with one hand with no issue, please just ****.

Yes, I am 6'8" and larger than the average bear, and I have been waiting for a larger screen iPhone for a while. I had a 4S but the screen was just too damned small, so I jumped ship to a Note 2 and I love it, but I always said if I could get an iOS device with the same screen size I'd do it in a heartbeat, so I am now waiting for my 64GB 6+.

Not everyone looks ridiculous using a large phone, it's just a matter of scale.

King James , is that you?

Wadd

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2014
The fact so many care about what size iPhone others get perturbs me.
^^ This !!
I am happy with my choice which I don't care to yell out loud to everyone.. I choose the size that I want... thank you ! :)

Djentleman

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2012
UK
Yeah, definitely. I might think "why would anyone want a phone that big??" and you might think "why would anyone want a phone that small??"... but hey, it's options. Different strokes for different folks. It's just nice that Apple is now giving that option!

Couldn't have made it any simpler and more right.

Velin

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
Only a matter of hours before the great whinging unfurls. Already some posts trickling in about case size, surprise, and returns.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
My friend got his case yesterday and he freaked out. He will be retuning his ASAP. He tried to get me to trade my 128GB iPhone 6 for his plus which a couple of days ago I expressed interest. But after seeing the case, LOL, I told him no way.

It's one honker big phone!!!:eek:

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
A friend of mine ordered the 6, and another ordered the 6+

For the first time I didn't preorder, I'm going to test both out before purchasing. 5.5" just seems too big for my pockets but we'll have to see.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Both look ridiculous in my eyes. Only the black model looks slightly better than the silver with the gold being the worst next to those white strips. UGLY UGLY iPhones no matter what size. The 4.7 inch iPhone 6 doesn't exactly fit on most women's jean pockets either. 137mm is quite tall even for some of my pant pockets and I wear my pants loose.

Holster cases is your best bet. I never lost a phone or worried about sizes as much anymore. The one-handed excuses has become irrelevant a long time ago since most people use TWO hands to text, browse, play games, etc. We don't live in the T9/numeric keypad era anymore which were much narrower than our smartphones of today.

The drawback to Apple is they didn't do anything enough to make one-handed use viable. Huawei, Asus, and Samsung all have one-handed use mode for their phablets. Reachability is not enough.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
This thread makes me wonder what will Apple introduce in 2 years after the new sizes have been out that long ? Go smaller, larger ? What will the members/customers want or complain about next, it's too large too small still or we want something in between. What next guys ?

TroyBoy30

macrumors 68030
Jun 9, 2009
Atlanta GA
i for one dont care what you think. i buy what i want, not what you think i should buy. as soon as you start buying things for me, you can decide what I should get. the introduction of 2 different sizes seems to have turned most apple owners into android owners.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
A Note 3 today at my gym. I had one, never brought it with me but it looked ginormous like the guy was using a 7" tablet.

caesarp

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2012
I think this picture ends the debate over the 6 plus -- if a 3 year old can hold and use it, I think any adult should be able to do so comfortably:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1783481/

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Ooh an oppurtunity to get a manpurse

tumblr_lqnx6pl2hu1qmg43eo1_500.gif

----------

I don't wear skinny jeans, as I think they're terrible. But I do wear proper fitting "straight fit". Relaxed fit is in the past and pretty bad style.

I wear slim jeans, not really skinny, as well and IMO straight cut looks bad compared to boot cut.

----------

I think this picture ends the debate over the 6 plus -- if a 3 year old can hold and use it, I think any adult should be able to do so comfortably:

But she can't use it with one hand.

SetHutBlue42

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2014
Apple didn't make a mistake, people who ordered a phone that was too big for them made a mistake. Know what you want before you order next time around.

But they can't try the phones out before buying them! How could they go into work on Monday without the new iPhone?!

caesarp

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2012

----------

I wear slim jeans, not really skinny, as well and IMO straight cut looks bad compared to boot cut.

----------

But she can't use it with one hand.

I don't get the whole one hand issue. I generally use two hands no matter what on my iphone 5. Even if I tried to use 1 hand, I inevitably made errors in typing or touching the wrong part of the screen. So one hand use, in my opinion, is not relevant.

SetHutBlue42

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2014
I don't get the whole one hand issue. I generally use two hands no matter what on my iphone 5. Even if I tried to use 1 hand, I inevitably made errors in typing or touching the wrong part of the screen. So one hand use, in my opinion, is not relevant.

Okay, so you don't take public transportation to work. Good for you. A lot of people do and unfortunately need to use their phones while holding on to something and being crammed between two fat guys using their phablets.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
There's a reason why I chose the regular iPhone 6: I tried to put a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (borrowed from my sister-in-law) without the case in any of my clothes pockets and much of the time it felt awkward or wouldn't fit. At least the iPhone 6--the same size as my soon-to-be-retired Samsung Galaxy S III--will at least fit even my front pants pockets.

caesarp

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2012
Okay, so you don't take public transportation to work. Good for you. A lot of people do and unfortunately need to use their phones while holding on to something and being crammed between two fat guys using their phablets.

If public transportation is the reason, that still is what -- maybe 2 hours out of the day at the most? Then you have about 14 more waking hours where 2 hand mode and a larger screen could be of use. So not sure public transport is a good reason based on the amount of time spent there.

techn9ne

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2014
And this is exactly why they have two versions. If you don't like the plus then you can buy the regular 6 and get a more "reasonable" size for yourself. Some people are going to want that plus, and some won't. The only people I feel have semi-legitimate complaints are those who pre-ordered without trying it first. And even then I say they're at fault.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA

Yep. Everyone has different needs, which is why we now have two iPhone 6s.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.