Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

woodekm

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2008
Not meaning to drag us too far off topic but how do you keep such a large device on you? I'd love to continue keeping my iPhone "on" me because I use it constantly, especially to snap photos I'd miss if I kept the device in a purse or bag all the time. You've bring a very interesting perspective to this forum since you're already used to a large phone.

When Im going from place to place, I always keep it in my shirt top pocket. It sticks out a bit, but it doesnt bother me (Im a guy, soooooo....). Definitely not for everybody, but I just found what works for me. I always have my phone, but the screen size is my most important thing.

When I drive, I have a holder in my car, that allows me to place my phone there, see the screen, and access it with bluetooth, etc. The screen is VERY large from a driving perspective. And the screen is large enough to access it.

Ill find it hard to ever go to a smaller phone. I had a HTC one (4.7" screen) and dont think Id get the 4.7" iPhone if thats all that Apple was offering this time. This is DEFINITELY a personal opinion and youll never know until you see the benefits of the larger screen and weigh it against the values of phone portability/access, and comfort.

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California
Thread actually makes sense. Alot of people don't realize how big the 6+ will be.

That being said, personally, I'm either at work or at home. But don't require my phone to be 'on' me. At work it's on/under the counter.

Infinitewisdom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
There will be a certain percentage of people who spring for the 6+ and then just realize it's too big. But I think that number will be small. Most people will know what they're getting into, especially the Android converts who've been used to big screens for years.

I'm not completely sold on the concept yet, but I'll try it out and see how it works.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
September 19, 2014: watch these forums erupt with people complaining the iPhone 6+ is too big, doesn't fit in pockets, not portable enough, or requires a manpurse.

Followed by a chorus of people saying they had no idea how big it was, "don't really need" a 5.5" screen, and regret spending over $800 for a pizza peel that makes them look ridiculous.

It's called Macrumors entertainment. It should last long enough to switch over to the Watch forum.

----------

That's what I was afraid of. I feel like I'd regret the smaller more rather than the larger.

Yes you would. Exactly what she said.

----------

The best part will be when everyone finds out it doesn't fit in the cup holder in their car.

Or that the screen has a yellow tint. Or that it gets too warm. Or that the battery only last 22 hours, or that....

nyc2pdx

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2012
Portland, Oregon
It's called Macrumors entertainment. It should last long enough to switch over to the Watch forum.

----------

Yes you would. Exactly what she said.

----------

Or that the screen has a yellow tint. Or that it gets too warm. Or that the battery only last 22 hours, or that....

First World Problems :cool:

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
There will be people who have already had giant screen phones who are elated that they can now have an awesome iPhone instead of a sucky android phone, and then there will be former iPhone users who always want the best specs and are duped into thinking the phone "won't be too big." Some will be able to get used to it, while the majority will be asking themselves, "what the f was I thinking?".

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
September 19, 2014: watch these forums erupt with people complaining the iPhone 6+ is too big, doesn't fit in pockets, not portable enough, or requires a manpurse.

Followed by a chorus of people saying they had no idea how big it was, "don't really need" a 5.5" screen, and regret spending over $800 for a pizza peel that makes them look ridiculous.

It's not like the 6 is like the 5C last years phone.

Only reason 6+ has better battery life as theres more room for the battery.

The optical imagine stabilisation not sure it will make much odds as I don't think the 5S camera improved that much since then 4S a bit bigger but not in mega pixels. It was only notiable with video recording.

Ateast the 4"7 being bigger, it is slimmer than a 5S so theres always that.

----------

I actually DO think this will happen and there will be a ton of returns. Many posts I've read - I didn't find people really thinking it through. Or walking around with weightless pieces of cardboard mockups for a slab that weighs 6.07 ounces.

I think livability for 'pocket people' might come into question.

Well even the S4 is 5". It's only the Note range that goes with the super big screen like 5.7". :)

mikeydooodie

macrumors member
May 13, 2008
To each their own. My wife has a note II and i feel it to be just right. I read a lot and so much easier to read on a bigger phone. TO be honest if apple would have just had a 4.7 i don't know if i would have stuck with the iphone.

i was saying the same thing. i made fun of the note when it first came out but as the 2 and 3 released i fell in love with the size just hated samsungs android os. with the note 4 being announced i felt a 4.7 screen was TOO SMALL and if apple only released that i was going to get a note 4 or lg g3. so glad apple came out with a 5.5 and it wasn't delayed like all the reports

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
I feel that way already way too big for me if it works for you though who cares what people think, right?

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
I think the 5.0+ will be standard after this year. When more people hold these things in public, eventually it will not be so weird. Then everyone will start getting these larger phones. The longer battery life will another incentive when the masses realize it.

U1cracka

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
...and then you will have the people who get the 6 and then realize it's not that different and wish they had the plus. Although I believe some will do what you said, I think the majority will end up keeping them. I think in the beginning, it might look big but with use, it will be hard to go smaller. Bring on the 5.5...I'm ready :)

I agree that's the reason I got the plus I will give it try for 2weeks if its to big for me I will return it for the 4.7.
But if I got the 4.7 to start I would have said I should have tried the 5.5

jediuia

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2014
The one thing I liked about my co-workers note 3 was the screen size. Do you not think people who ordered a 6+ has ever seen the note?

Wow:rolleyes:

Travisimo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2009
I'm coming from a OnePlus One I'll be right at home. The 6+ is nearly identical in size (iPhone a bit taller). I love the big screen and shouldn't have a problem fitting it into my pocket.

slippery-pete

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007

images

PanAm-L1011

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2010
Republic of California

I had a Galaxy Note 2 and it fit in every single pocket I tried to put it in, I never needed a manpurse and I could give a crap if anyone thinks I look ridiculous. I LOVED the screen size of the Note.

----------

...and then you will have the people who get the 6 and then realize it's not that different and wish they had the plus. Although I believe some will do what you said, I think the majority will end up keeping them. I think in the beginning, it might look big but with use, it will be hard to go smaller. Bring on the 5.5...I'm ready :)

Exactly. At the end of the day it's not that much bigger than the 6. I have the S4 now, had the Note 2 and they are just as portable as one another. The only difference is the S4 is easier to use 1 handed. I liked the Note 2 better. Can't wait for my 6 Plus. Left Apple because I wanted a bigger screen. Will be good to come back.

psychonaut

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
The best part will be when everyone finds out it doesn't fit in the cup holder in their car.

Actually the 6 plus fits fine. I did a test (even filmed it) showing the fit of the 6 plus (using a Spigen 6 plus case) and while it sits up a little higher it fits fine in my car which is not large and does not have big cup holders at all.

The 6 plus will take some getting used to but it is by no means a monster like many are making it out to be. It's not for everyone, just an adjustment for many who are making the switch.

MC355

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2014
Well I currently have the Galaxy Note 3, and thus will be choosing the iPhone 6 plus. The Note 3 is very manageable. And yes some people do comment on its size but I could care less. The awesome screen size is well worth it

msb3079

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2010
collingswood. nj
If you only give it a day, you're not really going to adjust well, are you? It's the patient ones who will be happiest in the end. You'd be daft to think we're supposed to adjust like nothing's changed the moment it's arrived in out hands.

The "adjustment" argument is the worst one I've heard. Humans, by nature, adjust to most anything. If you suddenly found yourself homeless, it would initially be terrifying and horrible. But as each day passed, you'd slowly adjust more and more. If someone close to you dies, you slowly adjust as each day passes.

Yes, people will adjust to an absurdly large "phone", but that doesn't make it "right" or "better". Just as becoming homeless or losing a loved one is not better, yet, you adjust.

Adjust, my butt. Blah, blah. Means nothing.
Sorry for the strange analogies.

jk4lebron23

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2010
Nashville,TN
I'll admit I always said if never get a phone that big, but....I did and I can't wait.
It being super thin I think it'll help, plus I have big hands so I'm good! :D

meagain

macrumors 68030
Nov 18, 2006
Psychonaut - I had seen your video and it pretty much convinced me I need to at least start with the 6 then wait and see. It didn't look comfortable in your pocket and I don't really see how anyone will be able to sit with it in a front pocket. It's over 6 inches long so I can't imagine where people are getting these long front pockets LOL

It's only the length of this that worries me. I would've even taken more thickness to have had it shorter.

wxnats

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2014
Northern Virginia
There will be a ton of these threads next Friday. There's already a thread with someone regretting their purchase a mere 20 hours earlier of the 6+. People's need to create a thread for anything and everything they are thinking gets really old on here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.