Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vpatel787

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2014
If anything like that recurs with App Store, you can run the following command in Terminal to tell whether the expected software is both (a) still in Apple's catalogue and (b) not yet installed on your Mac:

Code:
sudo softwareupdate -l

Hint: if any update is applicable, it will be simply listed.

In this situation, don't rush to use the softwareupdate command to install. If – say – an App Store-related process is invisibly continuing to download the software, then beginning an update from the command line may cause (concurrent) downloads of identical items to take much longer than is necessary.

Hey, Thanks a lot for the tip, I learnt something new today :D

netsped

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2008
lol, shows up as DP7 now for Beta 2 tester…
Maybe they want to get us to the Developer-Channel now to release the final betas on the same Software Update channel…

I had to change the system language back to english and the update name changed from DP7 to PB3. Strange, but I'm downloading it now.

exodiusprime

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Dallas, TX
I see it in the updates now (it didn't since this news article was made), but when I click to update, the buttons are simply greyed out.

(rMBP 2014 base 13" / Yosemite Beta 2 if it matters any)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-09-15 at 3.49.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-09-15 at 3.49.53 PM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 304

iPhil

macrumors 68040
Half download now ( Beta tester here) no Beta to DP to Beta Switching for me ..

:rolleyes:

edit: if I check the box next to iCloud drive in System Preference... Will it put iCloud drive icon into Finder sidebar .. I already bought 200 GB service via iPhone ..

edit #2 -- figure it out: if you upgrade to iCloud drive now without IOS8 or yosemite - you'll be "locked" out til you install IOS 8 or Yosemite on the computers.. Apple has a "pop-up" window say the info ... Smart - Apple

Last edited:

umzyi

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2011
UK
Downloaded PB3 and installed it successfully.

just to update, high text font rendering in enabled in PB3

Kyze

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2014
It showed DP7 in both of my computers. Decided to update anyway. It turns out, it actually was PB3. I have all the new things and the build number is the PB3 one, 14A361p. So, it appears like DP7 but in reality is PB3.

It's safe to update if it shows you DP7.

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
BEWARE of Mail App messing up your correspondance!

Deleted... weird things are happening. Sorry, ignore.

trifid

macrumors 68020
May 10, 2011
Not sure if your screenshot was a good example of this problem. I've noticed the HUD in Public Beta 2 has zero translucency. It's completely opaque.

Unfortunately, when I took a screenshot, it looks very different from how it appears on screen.

My gosh, what a translucency mess, even skeuomorphism looked better than that :rolleyes:

JoelBaka

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2014
Well after clicking on the grayed-out install buttons a dozen times it started but hanged. So I closed App Store and I'm now going to sleep knowing I'll be able to install PB3 tomorrow :) Goodnight everyone!

smc333

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2010
Boston, MA
I really hope this stops the kernel panics every 4 or 5 days on my 15" rMBP (2012)... They were almost daily in Beta 1, they're once or twice a week on beta 2.

exodiusprime

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Dallas, TX
Restarted and tried again and it's now downloading. Wish me luck!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-09-15 at 4.10.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-09-15 at 4.10.19 PM.png
    485.9 KB · Views: 214

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Not a bug, feature.

It's so that the "personality" of the background travels through to all the translucency used in the OS, even if it's sitting on white background. They're experimenting and I'm sure there's a chance they'll decide against it before public release but I doubt it. I like it.

It also works the same in dark mode as well.

That makes no sense. The translucency is an effect that lies on top. If the colour of the wallpaper shines through windows, that means that there is a hole in that window. How would it look when you watch a dark video and have a bright wallpaper? Not very good I assume.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
you’re right: nothing is customizable. I haven’t Yosemite in action yet, but if it’s as ugly as iOS 7, I will not be happy.

Just yesterday I was looking at iOS Notification Center and thinking it was the ugliest thing ever. White spaces, horizontal lines, lack of icons or weather or traffic, no indentation, ...

Some people just can't move on, I suppose.

----------

Yes, I also expect 8.0.1 to be released on Wednesday instead of this 8 GM which is still so buggy and battery eater

I've said it before, and I suppose I have to say it again. Battery drain and buggy behavior in a GM is usually related to the fact that you're running apps that are not optimized for the new iOS. Once re-designed apps start dropping after tomorrow the "bugginess" of iOS 8 will start going away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.