Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ddngo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
People are claiming iPhone 6 Plus will be hard to get on Friday.

Claims are being made over and over that less than 10-20 units (or something close to that) are likely to be available per Apple store.

People are also saying carrier stores will get no 6 Plus phones. (I agree carrier stores will have very limited stock)

Now, while I agree that the iPhone 6 Plus will be more elusive than the base 6 version (and will require some queuing), equating it to the gold is a bit of a stretch.

For a start, the iPhone 6 Plus is an entire product family, whereas the gold is one of three color variations of a product family (5S) that was generally available (in other colors, of course).

Secondly, let's do basic math.

There are about 220 Apple stores in the USA. If each store gets, say, 20 units, this would mean that only about 4400 units will be made available for sale.

If no carrier retail stores get any, then that's it: Apple made 4400 phones to be sold to walk-ins of an entire new product family for release weekend. A bit unlikely.

BUT -- Yes, you need to line up and yes, some colors and configurations will be much harder to get than others, but does Apple really have under 5000 6 Plus phones for an entire country?

EDIT: I didn't count Verizon or AT&T stores as the general consensus is "they won't have any". This post is based on general consensus/opinions (not facts). Even if we give each of them 5 units (which is more than what people are saying), that's 5 x 4,500 stores (about) = 18,000 additional units. Let's be generous and bump it up to over 10 units/carrier store = still under 50,000 units.

Last edited:

ScubaCinci

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
OH
Why are you not counting the Verizon and AT&T stores that should have stock at launch?

Vertigo50

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
My god, people say this every launch. :rolleyes:

Every year people come up with some imaginary number that Apple stores will only have 10 of this, or 100 of this.

Guess what? Apple knows there is a big demand, and they know a lot of customers like lining up on launch day. Every launch day since iPhone 4 there have been HUNDREDS if not THOUSANDS of phones available at Apple stores.

Yes, they will eventually start running out of certain models by late morning or early afternoon, but no, they will not have 10-20 of something.

Get a grip, people.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
The truth is we do not know how many there will be.

I would still bet you better be close to the front of the line to get your hands on one at the local Apple stores.

It is common sense that the Plus model will be in short supply just due to the preorder data.

Last edited:

DravenGSX

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008

Every year people come up with some imaginary number that Apple stores will only have 10 of this, or 100 of this.

Guess what? Apple knows there is a big demand, and they know a lot of customers like lining up on launch day. Every launch day since iPhone 4 there have been HUNDREDS if not THOUSANDS of phones available at Apple stores.

Yes, they will eventually start running out of certain models by late morning or early afternoon, but no, they will not have 10-20 of something.

Get a grip, people.

Except for the launch last year.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
Even if they have 100 or 200 per store, it won't matter. Most people standing in line are going for the Plus because of the short supply and the fact they missed out on the preorder. There will be plenty of the 6 models, so one doesn't need to stand in line to get it. Just walk in during the day.

toekneeg

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2012
Orlando, FL
I just spoke to a local AT&T Authorized Retailer (not a Company Store) and asked her about the hours. She asked me which phone I wanted and she said that the ONLY Plus she is getting is 64GB Silver. This was her reading off their store's purchase order form for launch day.

As a person looking for a Plus in Space Grey 64GB :mad:

tgi

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2012
I'm curious to see how many people are able to snag pluses on Friday from retailers.

dmonnin

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2014
Florida
I just spoke to a local AT&T Authorized Retailer (not a Company Store) and asked her about the hours. She asked me which phone I wanted and she said that the ONLY Plus she is getting is 64GB Silver. This was her reading off their store's purchase order form for launch day.

As a person looking for a Plus in Space Grey 64GB :mad:

How do you tell if the AT&T store is a company store or authorized retailer?

I'm assuming Company stores should have more.

Thanks

BoricuaHec01

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
Chicago, IL
Just called my local Verizon store and was told that they for sure will have a decent stock of the Plus, still going to be limited but at least I have peace of mind that it'll be possible to pick one up, of course depending on the line. I'm going to try to be first, going around midnight if security lets me.

toekneeg

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2012
Orlando, FL
How do you tell if the AT&T store is a company store or authorized retailer?

I'm assuming Company stores should have more.

Thanks

If you go on AT&Ts site, store locator, they have a little label next to the name of the store. It'll say company store or authorized retailer. Both are dedicated AT&T only stores, but one is owned by AT&T and the other is owned by small business owners (basically a franchisee).

From what I'm gathering, the authorized retailers are getting jack ****** when it comes to the plus models.

DravenGSX

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
Just called my local Verizon store and was told that they for sure will have a decent stock of the Plus, still going to be limited but at least I have peace of mind that it'll be possible to pick one up, of course depending on the line. I'm going to try to be first, going around midnight if security lets me.

They said the same thing last year with regards to the gold iPhone 5S. Grain of salt.

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA

Get a grip, people.

I guess you weren't around for the 5S launch. Each Apple store had 20 or less gold 5S. While we all hope that there won't be a repeat with the Plus, those of us who waited for hours in line just to see the first 20 people in line get what we came for are understandably a bit paranoid. Add to that the fact that the Plus sold out before the apple.com store was even online, and all of the rumors of production delays and possible 2015 launch for the Plus, some are understandably worried.

----------

I doubt that they have any idea what they are going to get until it arrives.

ddngo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
I guess you weren't around for the 5S launch. Each Apple store had 20 or less gold 5S. While we all hope that there won't be a repeat with the Plus, those of us who waited for hours in line just to see the first 20 people in line get what we came for are understandably a bit paranoid. Add to that the fact that the Plus sold out before the apple.com store was even online, and all of the rumors of production delays and possible 2015 launch for the Plus, some are understandably worried.

Yes, but people could - and did - still purchase plenty of iPhone 5S phones, just not gold.

Meaning, Apple still made plenty of that product model.

The iPhone 6 Plus is not just a color.

Sure, there may not be many of a specific color/configuration of the iPhone 6 Plus, but there will sure be more than the "insanely elusive" and "impossible to find" super limited quantity of the phone per store.

psymac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Maybe 10-20 units at a carrier store, but at the Apple Store I waited overnight for the past three years, its been near 200-300.

loskickking23

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2008
People just like to build HYPE ... Limited quantities attract HYPE.. I'm not going for it.. I will be in line just like every year with no worries :D

Markiie

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2011
Los Angeles, California.

Get a grip, people.

My store had one gold.

DravenGSX

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
Yes, but people could - and did - still purchase plenty of iPhone 5S phones, just not gold.

Sure, there may not be many of a specific color/configuration of the iPhone 6 Plus, but there will sure be more than the "insanely elusive" and "impossible to find" super limited quantity of the phone per store.

The gold was a product model. With difficulties during production. The same exact rumors we've been hearing about with the Plus. As a previous commenter said, combine that with the fact that pre-orders were sold out before they went live and it's deja-freakin'-vu here.

All signs point to the same problems as last year. Optimism is great. But when it comes to waiting 12-20 hours in line to get what you want --- realism is king.

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
I'm pretty confident the supply with be OK. Not great, but OK.

If you stop by at 4PM Friday, you most likely won't get a Plus. However, if you camp or get there at opening I bet you will.

:apple:

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA

We won't know for sure until Friday, but I do remember before that launch there were lots of rumors of the scarcity of the gold, and it turned out to be so.

The fact that the Plus was sold out before apple.com even went live is enough for me to line up early.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.