Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
People are claiming iPhone 6 Plus will be hard to get on Friday.

Claims are being made over and over that less than 10-20 units (or something close to that) are likely to be available per Apple store.

People are also saying carrier stores will get no 6 Plus phones. (I agree carrier stores will have very limited stock)

Now, while I agree that the iPhone 6 Plus will be more elusive than the base 6 version (and will require some queuing), equating it to the gold is a bit of a stretch.

For a start, the iPhone 6 Plus is an entire product family, whereas the gold is one of three color variations of a product family (5S) that was generally available (in other colors, of course).

Secondly, let's do basic math.

There are about 220 Apple stores in the USA. If each store gets, say, 20 units, this would mean that only about 4400 units will be made available for sale.

If no carrier retail stores get any, then that's it: Apple made 4400 phones to be sold to walk-ins of an entire new product family for release weekend. A bit unlikely.

BUT -- Yes, you need to line up and yes, some colors and configurations will be much harder to get than others, but does Apple really have under 5000 6 Plus phones for an entire country?

EDIT: I didn't count Verizon or AT&T stores as the general consensus is "they won't have any". This post is based on general consensus/opinions (not facts). Even if we give each of them 5 units (which is more than what people are saying), that's 5 x 4,500 stores (about) = 18,000 additional units. Let's be generous and bump it up to over 10 units/carrier store = still under 50,000 units.
My tmobile has 10 iPhone 6 space grey. Just got the call.

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2009
Last year my Att store had plenty of everything, only a few gold though. My sister bought white at 6pm.

only a few gold isn't plenty of everything.

Like I said, I think 6+ will be about as rare as the silver/gold 5S from last year; if we are lucky maybe slightly better stock.

Also people looking for the larger sizes are gonna be out of luck.

MrBambinoDent

macrumors regular
May 23, 2011
So everyone is talking about lining up early, what's early? I mean is midnight usually enough?
This might be my first time to do that because of the online preorder **** up by Apple!

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
So everyone is talking about lining up early, what's early? I mean is midnight usually enough?
This might be my first time to do that because of the online preorder **** up by Apple!

It really depends on where you are. I strongly suggest you call the Apple Store you're planning on lining up at tomorrow afternoon to find out what their (or the mall's) policy on lining up will be. For example, one mall here in San Antonio won't allow the line to begin until 9pm Thursday night, and another mall is having a staff meeting tomorrow morning to decide how they're going to handle it.

In some places, of course, people are already lined up. So like I said, it all depends on where you are.

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2009
It really depends on where you are. I strongly suggest you call the Apple Store you're planning on lining up at tomorrow afternoon to find out what their (or the mall's) policy on lining up will be. For example, one mall here in San Antonio won't allow the line to begin until 9pm Thursday night, and another mall is having a staff meeting tomorrow morning to decide how they're going to handle it.

In some places, of course, people are already lined up. So like I said, it all depends on where you are.

I second this guy

MrBambinoDent

macrumors regular
May 23, 2011

I'm in Calgary, Canada and Apple store closest to me is in mall that's used to video game midnight launches and they usually allow early lineups but I'm not sure I can handle more than 12hrs! I want that 6+ 128 Gold though :(

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
You must have been one of the very first. I checked very shortly after the site went live, and it was already 7-10 days, or something like that and then went to 3-4 weeks very soon thereafter,

What's your delivery date?

9/19. I am in Texas and I used my VPN to connect through California servers. That idea was recommended by a friend to help me get access sooner, which it helped. But I was only able to get through using a private browsing session on Firefox. Chrome, Chrome incognito, and normal firefox never worked.

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
9/19. I am in Texas and I used my VPN to connect through California servers. That idea was recommended by a friend to help me get access sooner, which it helped. But I was only able to get through using a private browsing session on Firefox. Chrome, Chrome incognito, and normal firefox never worked.

Sneaky.

cableguy619

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
From past experiences going to ATT and camping out they have kept an assortment of 100-150 phones.

That was the case last yr and I was #5 in line so I was good.

Later that day I was at lunch about 1pm by a verizon store that had all phones still in stock. They stated they did not get a crowd like they expected.

Really depends in where you go and who has what. About 3 yea ago I got the 4 at Walmart. They only had 20.

DVNIEL

Cancelled
Oct 28, 2003
Reading all of these posts make me feel very undeservingly fortunate. I was able to get a Verizon 128GB 6+ in Space Grey for local pick up at exactly 12:41am PST on the app.

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
There is going to be an unprecedented demand for these phones like never before. If you want the phone and colour of your choice then you need to queue up on Thursday evening as early as possible. It's a just a few hours out of your life

winterny

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2010
I am friends with a T-Mo store manager in an upscale area.

He said he was originally slated to get at least a couple of all configurations. On Tuesday, corporate informed him that due to high preorder demand of the 6+, he will be receiving ZERO 6+ in any configuration.

If you're expecting to pick one up in store on Friday, expect to be disappointed.

comptr

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2007
Arizona
well I got a backup pre-order from apple.com but i am going to camp out at my local apple store and I hope that there will be enough Verizon 6+ phones.

Ortiz7983

Suspended
Aug 6, 2012
So I preordered 2 iPhones. Was nervous because I just got the tracking numbers. My friend has to wait in line. My other 3 friends get the phone in October. Here's the funny part. My mother calls me and tells me she got an iPad Air from tmobile. I was like ok. Cool. Now she doesn't speak lots of English, Spanish mostly, so this young chick at tmobile gave my mom her personal number in case she needed help with it.

My mother is wanting the iphone 6 plus as well but she didn't preorder it like me. She calls the girl and says, if it's not too much to ask, you think you can hold an iphone 6 plus gold 64gb for me so I won't have to wait in line. The bitch said no problem. Wtf. This was today at 8pm. How lucky can she be to just get one on hold for her while that tmobile already has people in line. And she had just met that girl at tmobile. ****ing lucky ass whore.

StellarZ

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2008
AZ
My girlfriend works at Best Buy and she said none of the stores in her territory are receiving iPhone 6 Plus. This is in Phoenix, Arizona. They didn't even allow preorder of the phone. Looks to be the same case online.

andyACEcandy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2008
So I preordered 2 iPhones. Was nervous because I just got the tracking numbers. My friend has to wait in line. My other 3 friends get the phone in October. Here's the funny part. My mother calls me and tells me she got an iPad Air from tmobile. I was like ok. Cool. Now she doesn't speak lots of English, Spanish mostly, so this young chick at tmobile gave my mom her personal number in case she needed help with it.

My mother is wanting the iphone 6 plus as well but she didn't preorder it like me. She calls the girl and says, if it's not too much to ask, you think you can hold an iphone 6 plus gold 64gb for me so I won't have to wait in line. The bitch said no problem. Wtf. This was today at 8pm. How lucky can she be to just get one on hold for her while that tmobile already has people in line. And she had just met that girl at tmobile. ****ing lucky ass whore.

This won't happen. T-Mobile reps are idiots and will over promise anything. Expect your "****ing lucky ass whore" of a mom to be disappointed

Ortiz7983

Suspended
Aug 6, 2012
"iPhone 6 Plus will be impossible to get on Friday." Really? Let's see.

This won't happen. T-Mobile reps are idiots and will over promise anything. Expect your "****ing lucky ass whore" of a mom to be disappointed

I'll let you know what happens with that ****ing lucky ass whore of my mom..

comptr

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2007
Arizona
My girlfriend works at Best Buy and she said none of the stores in her territory are receiving iPhone 6 Plus. This is in Phoenix, Arizona. They didn't even allow preorder of the phone. Looks to be the same case online.

Ya I want to best buy the day before preorders and the manager told me best buy won't pre- order iPhone 6+. Form what I can tell it seems apple is only giving inventory to its stores first and then the carriers. I would expect the apple stores to have the most inventory of 6+.

/dev/toaster

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2006
San Francisco, CA
It depends on where you live. If you are in San Francisco or NYC, and want to get in line for a 6+ day of ... good luck. Unless you get there hella early, they will sell out.

JayIsAwesome

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2013
Texas

At my store, it's the same thing. We're doing preorders for the 6 but not the 6+ and I was also told that the 6+ would not be available at launch, only the i6.

chiawen.yang

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2012
Austin, Texas
Lets do a simple math with what we know.

Foxconn daily production of iPhone 6+ : 140,000
25 days of production for launch day

140,000 x 25 = 3,500,000 total production x 0.96 for DOA = 3,360,000

3,360,000 split between 18 countries.

For the hopeful, say apple holds back 70% stock for the US market = 2,352,000 million

2,352,000 / 4 major carriers = 588,000 per carrier

588,000 x 0.5 half preordered = 294,000 total for first day sales

294,000 / 257 total apple stores = 1,144 total phones at an apple store available

1,144 x 70% held for retail stores = 343 per apple store / 4 carriers = 86 phones per carrier

Now if apple only saved 50% for the US market, number shrinks.... Make your choice when thinking this is like the iPhone 5s release in availability.

Bmanzella527

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2014

She might be right.but every bestbuy is getting inventory numbers tomorrow. They would have no idea today.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.