Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
I just got back from the AT&T store to check out the new phones. I am still happy with my Space Gray choice since black looks classier but I was expecting the gray plastic to blend in well with the Space Gray aluminum. I was wrong. It looks more pronounced than the white plastic bands on the Gold model. It is hard to explain, but you can tell the gray plastic is...plastic...while on the Gold model, the white plastic looks more like a polycarbonate material.

Also the screen is a bit more hollow feeling than the 5, kinda like going from the iPad 3/4 to the iPad Air. BTW, if you research my post history you'll know I'm the biggest Apple fan in the world. Just wanted to convey some thoughts on the less positive aspects of the 6. Also wanted to give my thoughts on those who like me, thought the gray plastic bands would hide well.

Last edited:

SetHutBlue42

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2014
I think it was pretty obvious from the initial pictures/videos that those bands were going to be very pronounced. Crappy design choice, but whatever. You can always return it if it's that bad. Or get a case.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
In the pictures they all look ghastly to me, on every color. Even in pictures you can see that they are a cheaper plastic, in marked contrast to the metal surrounding them. But since the 6 Plus is apparently pretty hard to juggle and the screen shatters, it looks like I'll be covering those up with a case anyway. I really would like to not use a case (never did on any previous iPhone), but it seems like it's almost a requirement for the 6 Plus at least.

kmj2318

macrumors 68000
Aug 22, 2007
Naples, FL
I'm not sure what the difference between plastic and polycarbonate is...

But I'm guessing the dark bands look glossier, is that why they stand out?

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
The thick antenna bands are already the least positive aspect of the 6/6+ but there's nothing we can do about them.

At least color-coded bands are less pronounced than white bands appearance-wise.

absolut`

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2010
I, for one, think they look cool. It reminds me of my HTC M8, which I very much liked. Even upon first hold brought nostalgia of the M8, all good feelings so far. Screen is gorgeous, curved edges provide better grip. Only minor gripe is the vibration can get a bit obnoxious, but it is a bigger phone. Other than that, "NO RAGRETS".

malevolant

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
Boston, MA
I actually like the look of the antenna bands on my Space Grey. Coworkers actually commented on them looking great :confused: Eh to each his/her own.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I turned it over a few times to great an idea of how I felt about the bands. Will not be doing that anymore. This would be the least of my issues to tell the truth if they even bothered me which I know now they don't.

MacBreezy

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2011
Charlotte, NC
I went with the silver iP6 for that very reason. The antenna lines don't look as odd on the silver and the last three iPhones I had were black so it was time for a change.

PeteS1963

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2014
Looking at the phones in the Store I was surprise that (to me anyway) the white bands on the gold were NOT as obvious as on the sliver or space gray. But on all the images I've seen the gold seems more pronounced.

gorkt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2007
Polycarbonate is a plastic. The black is probably also made of the same plastic material, but uses a different composite or pigment so has a different feel and appearance.

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2011
At some point I'm sure someone will come out with vinyl overlays cut to go over those antannae bands.

I think they're ugly but I always put mine in a case so it doesn't really affect me at all.

Steel28

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2010
I went with the silver iP6 for that very reason. The antenna lines don't look as odd on the silver and the last three iPhones I had were black so it was time for a change.

same here for me. Had iP3/4/5 in black and went with silver for iP6 Plus.

Held the space grey in store today and I'm glad I didn't get it.

El3ctronics

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2011
NYC
I have to agree. The back of the iPhone 6 (I have grey) is really ugly. I keep putting it into the black leather case just so I don't have to look at it....though I then take the case off as it piles up dust in the corners.

pdxmatts

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR

Attachments

• iphone-6-93.jpg
    iphone-6-93.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 90

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2010
At least you know you will have good reception thanks to the thickness of those plastic bands.

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
For some reason I thought it would be a high quality plastic like the shell of an iPhone 5c but it is a really cheap, slighly clear plastic like a straw.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
I have to agree. The back of the iPhone 6 (I have grey) is really ugly. I keep putting it into the black leather case just so I don't have to look at it....though I then take the case off as it piles up dust in the corners.

You've had the phone for half a day and it's already "piling up dust"? Sounds like you need a new air filter!

Dmaynard83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
Ugh. the Space Grey plastic bands are a bit ghastly.

I think most people think the iPhone 6 design isn't as nice as the 5s

The bezels on the 6 look really bad and those antenna bands are horrific.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Like I said before, 95% of the people complaining about the bands will probably slap a case on their phone and won't even see them.... but they still have to complain, because that's just what people do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.