Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Velin

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
If the bands greatly improve reception, it's a worthy tradeoff. People would be screaming if there were an antennagate 2.

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
Disagree entirely. I think the bands on the space gray 6/6+ look much better than those on the gold.

For me, in order of most asthetically pleasing, it goes:

1. Space Gray
2. Silver
3. Gold

libu

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2014
Disagree entirely. I think the bands on the space gray 6/6+ look much better than those on the gold.

For me, in order of most asthetically pleasing, it goes:

1. Space Gray
2. Silver
3. Gold

I agree to disagree. :)

Most people in line today bought Gold :

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
I've no idea what you're talking about.

On the gold model, they are white and stick out much more than on the space grey model.

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
I've no idea what you're talking about.

On the gold model, they are white and stick out much more than on the space grey model.

Yeah. I think people are sleep deprived.

Cheap looking, like straw plastic and sticking out like a sore thumb? WTAF?? :rolleyes:

JawneeWin

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2013
I looked at my gold iPhone 6, and saw the white bands. I just have a feeling that it will eventually turn color over time. I hope a case will help lol

Dmaynard83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
Hopefully when the 6s comes around they will touch up the design to remove those bands.

And will probably get a Sapphire display:)

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
I just got back from the AT&T store to check out the new phones. I am still happy with my Space Gray choice since black looks classier but I was expecting the gray plastic to blend in well with the Space Gray aluminum. I was wrong. It looks more pronounced than the white plastic bands on the Gold model. It is hard to explain, but you can tell the gray plastic is...plastic...while on the Gold model, the white plastic looks more like a polycarbonate material.

Also the screen is a bit more hollow feeling than the 5, kinda like going from the iPad 3/4 to the iPad Air. BTW, if you research my post history you'll know I'm the biggest Apple fan in the world. Just wanted to convey some thoughts on the less positive aspects of the 6. Also wanted to give my thoughts on those who like me, thought the gray plastic bands would hide well.

Band-Gate? I bet the 6S/6+S will resolve this.

twolf2919

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2014
The bands are fugly and the 4.7" is too big

Like the OP, I just came back from the store to have a peek. Nobody in our family likes the new design/size. My wife says she will stick with her 5. My daughter would stick with the 5, but since both her phone and mine have developed some weird camera problem (a tiny smudged region appears both in the screen and in all shots - and, no, it's not a smudged lens), she'll be upgrading to the 5s. I just gotta have the better camera and Apple Pay - otherwise I'd stay with the 5s too.

I really don't understand Apple: it makes the most successful phones in the world - all of which are 4" or less. And then it goes off and builds these Android-looking phablets at 4.7"+. Doesn't it realize that *some* - or even many? - like a compact device? It seems to have bought the "people want bigger screens" press/analyst criticisms of the iPhone hook line and sinker! Not saying Apple shouldn't have produced a bigger phone - I totally agree that there is a huge market for them - but why did they have to produce TWO of them and NO phone at the previous size?

About the looks: in the past, when you saw someone using a smartphone, you could immediately tell if it was an iPhone. if you covered up the logo on the 6, you wouldn't be able to tell it apart from a bunch of Android phones.

I'm sure I will get used to the 6...i just gotta focus on the new functionality, I guess.

El3ctronics

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2011
NYC
You've had the phone for half a day and it's already "piling up dust"? Sounds like you need a new air filter!

Nah when I take the phone in and out of my suit paints pocket there is a dust on the screen and it all ends up in the crevice of where the case hits the phone. Gets annoying and only way to clean it is to take the case off.

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
Like the OP, I just came back from the store to have a peek. Nobody in our family likes the new design/size. My wife says she will stick with her 5. My daughter would stick with the 5, but since both her phone and mine have developed some weird camera problem (a tiny smudged region appears both in the screen and in all shots - and, no, it's not a smudged lens), she'll be upgrading to the 5s. I just gotta have the better camera and Apple Pay - otherwise I'd stay with the 5s too.

I really don't understand Apple: it makes the most successful phones in the world - all of which are 4" or less. And then it goes off and builds these Android-looking phablets at 4.7"+. Doesn't it realize that *some* - or even many? - like a compact device? It seems to have bought the "people want bigger screens" press/analyst criticisms of the iPhone hook line and sinker! Not saying Apple shouldn't have produced a bigger phone - I totally agree that there is a huge market for them - but why did they have to produce TWO of them and NO phone at the previous size?

About the looks: in the past, when you saw someone using a smartphone, you could immediately tell if it was an iPhone. if you covered up the logo on the 6, you wouldn't be able to tell it apart from a bunch of Android phones.

I'm sure I will get used to the 6...i just gotta focus on the new functionality, I guess.

While I agree with you to an extent... I have to say that people can still tell the 6 and 6 plus are still iPhones. While they may look more androidish they're still iPhones and people can tell...

For instance I had a guy stop me today and ask me if what I had was the iPhone 6... I said yes and he said can I see it. I was reluctant but I let him see it and he said well they don't look as much like a Galaxy as I thought they would. Then said it's very nice and gave it back to me

I agree they're more android looking but people can still tell its Apple

Dmaynard83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
Yea the design definitely doesn't look as nice as the 4 and 5 generations.

I think most people are caught up on the new iPhone phase and don't want to say a bad thing about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.