Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheBuffather

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2009
Orlando, FL
Just an FYI:

First of all, I couldn't imagine not having AppleCare+. Second of all, if you have AppleCare on your 5S, you can call Apple (when purchasing AC+ / if you already purchased it) and ask for the remainder of your 5S plan to be prorated. They'll return the $50 or so to your card. Of course, your 5S will no longer be covered, so this only works well if you're selling it or something of that nature.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
I've never dropped my phone to the point where it had any physical damage, wether from liquid or drops, never happened. However, considering I went through 14 replacement iPhone 5's in 1.5 years before the store offered to replace it (at a cost mind you) with a new iPhone 5s (which has operated flawlessly and was yet to give me a problem). This issue alone makes it worth it to me to get AppleCare.

Now, like I said before, I don't buy AppleCare+ for the + part, I buy it for the AppleCare part. Unfortunately, Apple has chosen to discontinue regular AppleCare for devices where AppleCare+ is available. This means you pay an extra $20 for it, which I really don't care about since I would opt for the + Care anyway just in case. What bothers me is you only have 60 days from DOP to add it otherwise, your stuck with only 1 year of hardware and 90 days of phone support.

The way I have always justified the extra $20 (but now you have no option), was this. I could either pay the $100, then $79 if I drop it, or pay the OOW cost if I do drop it. Plus, if your really accident prone, and drop it and break it twice during the life of the device, your total for both replacements (including the plan cost) if you had bought AC+ would be $260. For two OOW replacments, $660 (6 Plus).

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
The folks that are banking on "only" replacing the screen are in for some disappointment.

One drop and you are bound to also damage the casing thanks to the new design. Sure, you might get away with a new screen, but likely it'll be a corner of aluminum too.

That's 329!

Apple has also been ramping up the need for AppleCare by not being nearly as generous on gifting repairs like they used to (thanks to people abusing the system to get a "new" phone for resale.

Go naked, save the case $$$, enjoy the device as intended, and spend 99 bucks on ac+ especially now.

In a year you'll get 40 bucks back when you buy the 6s anyway.

Can't wait for the "it's 329!!!???" Threads to pop up.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2010
I'm getting it this year. My girlfriend got the 5 without and after 14 months they said the battery was defective and it cost $80 to replace it. I asked if they could do anything since we didn't break it and 14 months barely goes outside of the year timeframe and they said no.

Lesson learned - I plan on keeping this for 2 years and I'm assumming Murphy's Law...

ScubaCinci

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
OH
Can you afford to repair/replace the device out of pocket without financial hardship?

If so, skip it. If not, can you afford the $99 for Applecare (not be facetious here)? If so, you may strongly consider getting it.

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
99$ for Applecare, $79 deductible.

Or $109/129 (iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 plus) to replace screen.

Drop it twice. 99+79+79 = $257
Or $109 + 109 = $218. (258 for the plus)

Hardly seems worth it, especially if you are getting a new phone next year. Apple will almost certainly fix other problems short of water damage or cracked screen with free applecare in the first year. And they may even replace cracked screens if they are hairline fractures for free.

Terrible deal for anyone planning on upgrading next year. Debateable if you plan on keeping it two.

You're not factoring in the cost of needing a replacement unit (water damage for example).

That would set you back $299 for the iPhone 6 & $329 for the 6 Plus.

So a $100 AppleCare + policy, versus 2 x replacements at circa $600, make AC+ a very good investment IMO.

rman0726

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2009
Can you afford to repair/replace the device out of pocket without financial hardship?

If so, skip it. If not, can you afford the $99 for Applecare (not be facetious here)? If so, you may strongly consider getting it.

Correct. Insurance companies make billions and billions of dollars. Why? Because it's a good deal for them and not for you. If you can afford to be your own insurance company, you are better off in the long term.

----------

You're not factoring in the cost of needing a replacement unit (water damage for example).

That would set you back $299 for the iPhone 6 & $329 for the 6 Plus.

So a $100 AppleCare + policy, versus 2 x replacements at circa $600, make AC+ a very good investment IMO.

But the OP was only talking about one year. And basically everything will be covered by Apple except for water damage and cracked screens. Yes water damage does occur, but it's pretty unlikely compared to a cracked screen. If I had not bought apple care in my 6 years of owning an iPhone, I would have $600 in my pocket. That's enough to cover two iPhones being dropped in the water, which is still two themes more than I ever needed it.

So you are paying $179 vs $299 every single year, to cover something that is extremely unlikely in the first place.

Also, when my Ipad mini fell out of my coat pocket last year and the screen cracked, Apple replaced it for free, because hairline cracks are manufacturer defects, according to them. So don't forget about how nice apple is with their support.

Last edited:

bronzini

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2009
That's what I was thinking. I use a case on all my phones, and I've never been clumsy enough to encounter water damage. I feel like if I actually cracked my screen, I can just pay the $109 upfront for it to be fixed. I'm pretty confident that I wouldn't break my screen twice in a year. I think I'm going to wing it, and not buy AppleCare+.

Didn't have AC+ the first and only time I put phone in my back pocket and heard it fall into the toliet. Was away on a business trip at the airport. Not a good situation. Cost me a couple hubdred bucks to replace and i got AC+ right then and there. Apple still made it easy.

My manager dropped is Samsung Galaxy and shattered screen. Hes had the big behemouth Android phones for a while. However screen on Galaxy is more likely to shatter due to size. Of course getting it replaced only cost him about ~$100. 3 weeks later, dropped again. Shattered screen. He got a stronger case. Did he need insurance? He used one of his family upgrades to avoid having to pay full freight on a new phone, which if he didnt have an upgrade avail.

At end of the day, get AC if it makes folks feel comfortable. If not, then that's fine too.

----------

I'm getting it this year. My girlfriend got the 5 without and after 14 months they said the battery was defective and it cost $80 to replace it. I asked if they could do anything since we didn't break it and 14 months barely goes outside of the year timeframe and they said no.

Lesson learned - I plan on keeping this for 2 years and I'm assumming Murphy's Law...

There is a known defective battery issue for the 5. Wonder if your gf can get a refund?

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
If I had not bought apple care in my 6 years of owning an iPhone, I would have $600 in my pocket. That's enough to cover two iPhones being dropped in the water, which is still two themes more than I ever needed it.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing isn't it?

How gutted would you be if you'd had unexpected accidents on those phones that necessitated replacement units at $250 each time?

You have to look at it from both sides and as has been said, past history is no indicator of future events.

So you are paying $179 vs $299 every single year, to cover something that is extremely unlikely in the first place.

It all comes down to risk vs reward, I'd personally take out AC+ and have peace of mind.

Also, when my Ipad mini fell out of my coat pocket last year and the screen cracked, Apple replaced it for free, because hairline cracks are manufacturer defects, according to them. So don't forget about how nice apple is with their support.

You were simply lucky.

Apple's policy is not to replace devices with cracks (especially as it was your actions that caused it, nothing to do with any manufacturing defect.

Again, you'd feel differently if you'd had to pay up for a replacement iPad Mini.

iMi

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
I was weighing the same options this morning. I've decided to buy Applecare+ for three reasons.

One, the previous iPhone 5S I've had is now a paperweight. I dropped the phone and broke the screen, which I had repaired at a fairly reasonable cost. But two weeks later the logic board failed and there was no way to repair it. Luckily I had an iPhone 4S still in the drawer to use until the new iPhone was released. Otherwise I'd have to buy a new phone. I use my phone for business and cannot be without it even for a day.

Two, my business partner had used Applecare+ twice on his phone. Both times he got a brand new phone. One was an accident where he jumped in the lake with the phone in his swimsuit. The second incident was the battery draining at excessive rate.

Three, I hate bulky cases. In fact, I never used a case with the previous iPhone. It doesn't feel right to cover up this beautiful device with a case. This time though I've decided to go with a case but opted for a thin, stylish one. This way there is some level of protection and the phone still looks and feels sleek, so there is a balance.

Everyone has to figure out what works for them. I went with Applecare this time around. Ask me in a year or two if I still think it was a good idea and if it was worth it.

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2009

Hardly seems worth it, especially if you are getting a new phone next year. Apple will almost certainly fix other problems short of water damage or cracked screen with free applecare in the first year. And they may even replace cracked screens if they are hairline fractures for free.

Terrible deal for anyone planning on upgrading next year. Debateable if you plan on keeping it two.
Second this.

From past experience any manufacturing defaults usually appear in the first year anyways.

cfedu

Suspended
Mar 8, 2009
Toronto
The folks that are banking on "only" replacing the screen are in for some disappointment.

One drop and you are bound to also damage the casing thanks to the new design. Sure, you might get away with a new screen, but likely it'll be a corner of aluminum too.

That's 329!

Apple has also been ramping up the need for AppleCare by not being nearly as generous on gifting repairs like they used to (thanks to people abusing the system to get a "new" phone for resale.

Go naked, save the case $$$, enjoy the device as intended, and spend 99 bucks on ac+ especially now.

In a year you'll get 40 bucks back when you buy the 6s anyway.

Can't wait for the "it's 329!!!???" Threads to pop up.

+10

Save money by not buying an expensive case and get completely protected from any damage. They are so light they can easily be knocked out of a hand. When i went from my 4S to nexus 5, I keep dropping it so I had to get a case. If I had an applecare like option I would have got it.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
I had every iPhone and as you generally had good luck. Although I never had apple care in the past. Worth the 6 plus it's slightly more tempting if for nothing else the phone being larger.

When I had the oneplus one it slipped out of my shorts pocket when I was going up a flight of stairs. It literally hit one step and was in a case so it was fine . not even a scuff. Just overall I can see more pocket or grip drops due to the size.

Still doubt I'll but though

rman0726

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2009
Hindsight is a wonderful thing isn't it?

How gutted would you be if you'd had unexpected accidents on those phones that necessitated replacement units at $250 each time?

You have to look at it from both sides and as has been said, past history is no indicator of future events.

It all comes down to risk vs reward, I'd personally take out AC+ and have peace of mind.

You were simply lucky.

Apple's policy is not to replace devices with cracks (especially as it was your actions that caused it, nothing to do with any manufacturing defect.

Again, you'd feel differently if you'd had to pay up for a replacement iPad Mini.

I would have been bummed for a minute, but 329 is not going to break the bank. Especially if I realized that I already saved $600. I'm still ahead.

And the odds are in my favor. Because as I said, Apple isn't offering AppleCare to give you peace of mind. They are offering it because they want to be part of the trillion dollar insurance industry raking in money by the truckload at the expense of consumers. There is a guy driving a Ferrari right now that set the price of AppleCare and the deductibles. Because Apple pays him a lot of money to ensure that the odds are in Apples favor. He's done the research to determine that at those prices, Apple is going to make money. If Apple makes money, who do you think is the one losing the money because it all has to balance out in the end.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
If you buy it for $99, you can use your current phone for a year knowing that if the unexpected did happen as far as accidental drop, water, etc. you're covered. Then when you get a new phone in a year, you can transfer the remaining year (+/-) to the new phone and be covered on that one (provided you haven't already used your 2 replacements at that point).

You can transfer Apple Care to the new phone? Hmmmm. I'm trading in my 5S so I'd like to do this .

andyACEcandy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2008
So hardware issues, I understand.

But even if you didn't have any kind of insurance and you broke your screen, you can get it fixed for relatively cheap nowadays... Probably right around $79 to get a screen fixed whether you do it yourself or find someone to do it for you

IllIllIll

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2011
You can transfer Apple Care to the new phone? Hmmmm. I'm trading in my 5S so I'd like to do this .

Not really. You just get a prorated refund on the AC portion you didn't use and can apply that towards the purchase of a new AC policy.

ohio.emt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Ohio
Never had gotten it before, but it's temping with the screen size of the 6+. I'm waiting on getting the 6+ in hand before I make up my mind. Helps a little in favor of getting it I din't know they would do a prorate when you sold your old iphone.

NT5.2

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2012
I am not a fan of any type of extended warranties and I have never purchased applecare for any of my iPhones but the problems I had with my iPhone 5 these past two years and with apple never being able to reproduce the problem I will be getting the insurance this year only because if I run into the same problems that can not be fixed I will be running my phone over with my car or throwing it in the washing machine with my clothes.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA

You can cancel AppleCare at any time and get back the prorated amount for what you haven;t used. So... you pay $99 today and get back $50 at the end of the year.

You also make the assumption that the only thing that can possibly damage in a drop is the screen. I've seen some pretty trashed chassis, water damage, various components fail to work after a hard fall, etc. Again, it's insurance. Covers a whole lot more than a screen replacement. I don;t think it's an accurate comparison when all you consider is the cost to replace the screen.

gabo864

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
If you have AppleCare, you only need to pay the $79 if it's accidental damage or you have your device for more than a year right? If there's a hardware problem in the first year, it's still covered under the usual free one year warranty right?

Your manufacturer warranty is actually extended with applecare+, so you get a 2-year manufacturer warranty instead of just 1.

AxoNeuron

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2012
The Left Coast
I've been using iPads since the first one in 2010. Never broke one, so I figured I could go without AppleCare+ on my new retina iPad mini. Of course, I dropped it today and now it's cracked. $250 out the drain.

Best of luck to you if you don't get the AppleCare+. I sure as hell wish I had.

rman0726

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2009
You can cancel AppleCare at any time and get back the prorated amount for what you haven;t used. So... you pay $99 today and get back $50 at the end of the year.

You also make the assumption that the only thing that can possibly damage in a drop is the screen. I've seen some pretty trashed chassis, water damage, various components fail to work after a hard fall, etc. Again, it's insurance. Covers a whole lot more than a screen replacement. I don;t think it's an accurate comparison when all you consider is the cost to replace the screen.

In my experience, I have found that Apple will still fix those other problems, even if the drop caused them. They can't prove that the drop caused it, so they fix it for free anyway. Basically water damage and cracked screens are the only issues that they blame on you. And even cracked screens they will replace if it's a hairline fracture.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.