Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rman0726

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2009
I've been using iPads since the first one in 2010. Never broke one, so I figured I could go without AppleCare+ on my new retina iPad mini. Of course, I dropped it today and now it's cracked. $250 out the drain.

Best of luck to you if you don't get the AppleCare+. I sure as hell wish I had.

How bad of a crack is it? Apple replaced my mini with a crack in it because hairline fractures are "manufacturer defects.". Despite it clearly being my fault dropping it.

zaxdude

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2011
With SquareTrade there is...up to the retail value of the phone. If you drop the phone twice, breaking the screen and damaging the metal casing, if fully repaired/replaced you will likely only end up two repairs through ST -- not four.

With AppleCare it's flat two...period. With ST -- it's technically "up to four" depending on claim amounts.

AppleCare repair/replaces it twice and Squaretrade will four times - are there payout limits?

ZebraDude

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2014
Naperville, IL
lol Sorry I meant that how do I link it to the iPhone? Just worried since bought it through ATT

Well I bought my 6p through Sprint I received it on Friday. I activated it on Saturday with Sprint and then I called up AppleCare customer services and In 10 minutes I was 99 lighter and apple emailed my policy!

Super easy.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
In my experience, I have found that Apple will still fix those other problems, even if the drop caused them. They can't prove that the drop caused it, so they fix it for free anyway. Basically water damage and cracked screens are the only issues that they blame on you. And even cracked screens they will replace if it's a hairline fracture.

If you have a phone with a smashed screen that isn't turning on, as an example (and is without water damage), they are not obligated to do anything for you.

It's nice that you've had good experiences. I ran my iphone 4 through the wash launch night and they swapped it for $100 (at the time a swap was $200) because they felt sorry for me. But that's beside the point. I was just discussing the merits of AppleCare :)

kalirob99

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2008
California
Well I bought my 6p through Sprint I received it on Friday. I activated it on Saturday with Sprint and then I called up AppleCare customer services and In 10 minutes I was 99 lighter and apple emailed my policy!

Super easy.

Nice thanks for easing my mind and my wallet lol

iososx

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2014
USA
Apple Care is a waste of money. I've had every iPhone, bought Apple Care and never used it. This time I'm going to pass.

rman0726

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2009
If you have a phone with a smashed screen that isn't turning on, as an example (and is without water damage), they are not obligated to do anything for you.

It's nice that you've had good experiences. I ran my iphone 4 through the wash launch night and they swapped it for $100 (at the time a swap was $200) because they felt sorry for me. But that's beside the point. I was just discussing the merits of AppleCare :)

But isn't the great customer service factor pretty important when discussing the necessity of applecare? That definitely factors into the expected cost of owning on average, which is what you really need to be comparing when determining the merits.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
But isn't the great customer service factor pretty important when discussing the necessity of applecare? That definitely factors into the expected cost of owning on average, which is what you really need to be comparing when determining the merits.

Perhaps. Over the years I have read of Apple being more strict, especially with some in-store repairs taking place. I've had some pretty crap service, especially here in New England. So it is what it is.

KenAFSPC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
Isn't 20/20 hindsight vision great?
Yep. I haven't been in a car accident in three years so perhaps I should cancel my car insurance. I didn't see a doctor last year so perhaps I should cancel my health insurance too.

It only takes one "accident" to make AppleCare worth it.

NativeTxn

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2013
Not really. You just get a prorated refund on the AC portion you didn't use and can apply that towards the purchase of a new AC policy.

According to the person I spoke with on the phone when I bought AC+ a couple days ago, there are basically 3 options if you get a different phone within the 2 year AC+ period :

1) Transfer the remaining AC+ coverage to the new phone (presuming you get another iPhone)

2) Get a pro rated refund of the remaining amount (whether you get an iPhone or not)

3) Let the AC+ stay with the phone you bought it on (eg if you are giving to a family member or want to use it to try to sell for a higher price).

He said that 1 and 2 require you to call to make the request, otherwise 3 is the default.

Regardless whether you are using 1 or 2, you're basically talking $50/year plus $79 per incident(up to 2 replacements)

So for those talking about $179 vs $109 for a screen replacement, it is more like $129 likely for a brand new phone ($50 AC premium + $79 incident fee) vs $109 for an Apple-provided screen replacement (and possibly having to deal with other damage). So really you're talking about roughly $20 more for a new phone (and probably a lower overall cost under AC+ if you ruin it with a "water incident").

At the end of the day, it is insurance and Apple is going to make money on it. But you have to look at it from your point of view (whether you think it is worth it from a cost benefit standpoint, peace of mind standpoint, etc) and not worry about Apple's point of view (because as a whole they are making money on the deal).

If you think about it, Apple's cost on the phone (which I have no idea what it actually is) may not be much more than the AC+ premium, so even if they have to provide replacements to people, they may still come out ahead or at least be close to break even. But again, you're not Apple so you have to do what you think is in your best interest, which will be different for everyone.

dmaxdmax

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2006
The value of AppleCare is not measured in present value dollars. AppleCare is a wager that you hope to lose. The point is minimizing pain, dollars are secondary to an individual.

If you can drop $99 today without it making a meaningful difference to your bank account, then perhaps you should get it. If you can't then you shouldn't.

If you can drop $749 in a year's time without making a meaningful difference in your bank account then you probably shouldn't.

Put another way, chuck your spreadsheets and decide if definitely stubbing your toe today is worth the certainty that you won't break your arm in the next 24 months. Minimize pain.

Fwiw, I'm going to stub my toe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.