Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thrifty1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2009
I know most only like to share what is not working, but I'm very happy with the battery life on my iPhone 6.

I keep my expectations realistic and the iPhone 6 is doing a little better than my iPhone 5. I've had the phone unplugged for about 10.5 hours so far today and used it actively for a little over 2 hours. Battery life is at 78% which meets my expectations.

Here is the screen shot of my current battery usage.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vxzsb213dhl3xsr/IMG_0038.PNG?dl=0

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
I'm so happy with the iPhone 6 battery life. It's much better than that of the 5s. My 5s id actually have to charge once a day. The 6 I haven't had to charge throughout the day since I've had it. That's all I wanted was a phone I didn't have to put on a charger

zuckuss00

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2012
Same here.

Getting almost 2 days on a single full charge with a decent amount of usage.

Not watching movies or streaming anything.

But it's great for my day to day usage.

Ayeyotone

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2012
I know most only like to share what is not working, but I'm very happy with the battery life on my iPhone 6.

I keep my expectations realistic and the iPhone 6 is doing a little better than my iPhone 5. I've had the phone unplugged for about 10.5 hours so far today and used it actively for a little over 2 hours. Battery life is at 78% which meets my expectations.

Here is the screen shot of my current battery usage.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vxzsb213dhl3xsr/IMG_0038.PNG?dl=0

Did u setup as new or did a fresh restore?

munkydust

macrumors member
May 2, 2010
My 4s would usually be dead or very close to it by the time I got home from work. Today my 6 had 50% left when I got home (with the same approximate usage).

ericschmerick

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2004
My wife's Verizon 6+ was at 70%+ at the end of the evening. My ATT 6+ was at 27%.

I used my phone more during the day yesterday, but it sure does seem like mine is draining the battery faster than hers.

In general with my 5 (not 5S) I would be at 10-15% by the end of a day. So far it doesn't feel like my 6+ battery life is any better than by 5 battery life. I was expecting a bit better.

Right now it's 2:40PM PDT, and I'm at 66%, and haven't used the phone too much at all. Again probably about the same as it was with the iPhone 5.

Thrifty1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2009
Did u setup as new or did a fresh restore?

I had always done a restore in the past but decided it was time to "clean house" this year so I set it up as new.

I also do the following to maximize battery life:

- Background App Refresh: I keep the list as short as possible. Currently have 4 apps with this on.

- Location Services: I keep the list as short as possible. Currently have 12 apps as "Always" or "While Using".

- Notifications: I keep the list as short as possible. Currently have 16 apps with notifications. I turn off all diagnostics (Product Improvement) in the System Services.

- I close apps when not using.

- Display brightness when I am inside is set at about 30% -- more than bright enough for me to see the screen.

- Personal Hotspot off until I need it.

- Mail set to fetch hourly (manual even better, but hourly works well for me).

Other settings:
- WiFi is always on.

- Bluetooth is aways on as I am in / out of my car during the day.

Hope those details help.

Last edited:

jonbravo77

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I'm loving my 6 as well. Battery is way better than my 5s. I had a Mophie case on my 5s and would either have to charge the phone or turn on the battery by early afternoon. I'm at 10 hours of standby and 4 hours usage and at 55% which is fantastic for me.

ericschmerick

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2004

- Background App Refresh: I keep the list as short as possible. Currently have 4 apps with this on.

- Location Services: I keep the list as short as possible. Currently have 12 apps as "Always" or "While Using".

- Notifications: I keep the list as short as possible. Currently have 16 apps with notifications. I turn off all diagnostics (Product Improvement) in the System Services.

- Display brightness when I am inside is set at about 30% -- more than bright enough for me to see the screen.

Personal Hotspot off until I need it.

Other settings:
- WiFi is always on.

Hope those details help.

This is great information. I didn't know any of this stuff, and I'm going to go try these optimizations now. Thanks for posting these tips!

Ayeyotone

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2012
I had always done a restore in the past but decided it was time to "clean house" this year so I set it up as new.

Personal Hotspot off until I need it.

Other settings:
- WiFi is always on.

Hope those details help.

I'm only getting 6hrs usage with mostly everything off I setup as new I'll try new restore in a couple of days if it don't improve thanks

barondebxl

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2013
I have noticed that watching youtube on the iphone 6 drains the battery quickly. I wish apple would have a native youtube app like they did in the early iphone days that way they can optimize it properly. But its a licensing thing with youtube i believe.

----------

My wife's Verizon 6+ was at 70%+ at the end of the evening. My ATT 6+ was at 27%.

I used my phone more during the day yesterday, but it sure does seem like mine is draining the battery faster than hers.

In general with my 5 (not 5S) I would be at 10-15% by the end of a day. So far it doesn't feel like my 6+ battery life is any better than by 5 battery life. I was expecting a bit better.

Right now it's 2:40PM PDT, and I'm at 66%, and haven't used the phone too much at all. Again probably about the same as it was with the iPhone 5.

Wow thats not good at all. how is your signal?

ViperDesign

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Utah
Right now the 6 battery is solid. I use my phone quite heavily. So having a good battery is important to me.

Attachments

• 2014-09-22 16.27.54.png
    2014-09-22 16.27.54.png
    105 KB · Views: 176

darkside flow

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2010
Toronto
Yup. Restored from back up. Screen about 45% with auto, wifi and bluetooth on. This was my first full drain.

iphone6batterysep22.png

.. and yeah, I spent almost an hour on Tinder. So what? :D (three matches, all hookers :()

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Even with heavy use, it's lasting longer than my 4S did. I'd say I'm getting 10-17% percent more juice for my usage.

ericschmerick

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2004
I have noticed that watching youtube on the iphone 6 drains the battery quickly. I wish apple would have a native youtube app like they did in the early iphone days that way they can optimize it properly. But its a licensing thing with youtube i believe.

----------

Wow thats not good at all. how is your signal?

I think that's a big part of the issue. My signal is almost always 2 bars, and in a few parts of the building there is virtually no signal (1 bar, and if you try to make a call it usually drops).

Eileen89

macrumors 65816
Aug 12, 2014
I agree, the battery life on my 6 is great as well. After the second charge it has almost 5 hours of use with a day and a half of standby time and still has 76% left. At this point I don't think it will ever run out, lol.

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
I have the 6 and also have surprising battery life so far. 8hrs standby, 90min usage, 94%

Upgraded from the 5s - which I considered good, but not this good. I restored my 6 from a backup of the 5s - but I updated the 5s to iOS 8 before I backed it up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.