Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raven69david

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2011
I6 too big? Huh?! I'm 5'9 and use the 6+ without a problem. My wife's shorter and loves the 6. Even my 9 year old like the way the 6 feels. Too big? Get out of here with that nonsense!:p

lyceumHQ

macrumors 68000
Aug 4, 2010
That's great. Me? I wouldn't hold my breath. The 4.7 is the default iPhone size from now on IMO. They won't be making a smaller one once they end-of-cycle the 5C.

Who said they were holding their breath? I don't think apple will make a smaller phone anytime soon either.

All I was saying is in not doing so. They will lose customers.

gujamin

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2002
Atlanta
I find it too large as well. Pissed that Apple screwed all the tons of customers that were perfectly happy with the screen sizes up until now. Why did they have to have 2 models that were BOTH larger than the previous? Makes no sense!

I'm going to hold on to mine to see if it improves, but I'm not happy about it at all.

I totally agree! The iPhone 5 already felt a little too big, the iPhone 6 is actually painful after using for a few days. I keep feeling like I am going to drop it and my tendons are hurting from all the stretching. I really wish they had made the iPhone 6 with the 4" screen size and reachability. That would have been perfect.

ali5707

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2014
I keep feeling like I am going to drop it and my tendons are hurting from all the stretching. I really wish they had made the iPhone 6 with the 4" screen size and reachability. That would have been perfect.

Totally agreed. Returning my iPhone six and reverting to my 5S. Going to wait another year. Please Apple give keep the 4" for the likes of us.

Macshroomer

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
I used my wife's 5S for awhile tonight, it felt a bit smoother and snappier than my 5, but not so much that I want to ditch my 5 for it.

I'll check the 6 out Wednesday but I think I am hanging onto my 5...

gazzrenn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Blackpool, UK
The only way I can possibly see someone having problems on the smaller iphone 6 is if they are "holding it wrong"

Are you wrapping your pinky finger on the left side of the device(wrong way) or letting the bottom of your phone rest on the pinky finger(right way)

You gain about a 1/2" of thumb length when sound the latter

I'm not sure about this. I'm right-handed I hold the device (6) with my little finger at the bottom....and all this means is the headphone jack hole digs into my little finger almost to the point that I'm getting a little scar on my finger now

gtmac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
The Amazon electronic trade in for the 5S went from $400 to $419 so I'm guessing demand for the 5S is still healthy. Mine goes in tomorrow and I love the 6 so far. Plenty big but not obnoxious.

freezelighter

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2014
Thun, Switzerland
I've only had my iPhone 6 a day, but I really find it's too big for me. I can't really use it one handed, I have to adjust my grip as I hold it up to my ear, and it generally feels easy to drop. I've switched back to my iPhone 5 and it really is the perfect size for me.

Anyone else feeling the same? I would quite like Apple to release an iPhone 6 in a 4" format. The faster CPU and better camera are all I really want.

I'm selling my iPhone 6 in the marketplace since they are still hard to get a hold of.

I totally agree with you.

Got my iPhone 6 yesterday and today I am sending it back.

I have all iPhones since the original back in 2007.

I didn't like the step from 3,5" to 4".

I wanted my iPhone to keep being the only and last one in the world of all those huge, idiotic smartphones with android or any other os.

But no.

It was sad to see that Apple made it bigger too, so I kept my iPhone 4S to see what happens in future.

But what happened now is too much.

Both iPhones 6 are more than extremely too big.

I sent back my new iPhone 6 and got a new 5S.

Maybe the 5S will be the last iPhone for me.

I hope not.. I really want to hope..

Last edited:

jmitchell3

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2014
I've only had my iPhone 6 a day, but I really find it's too big for me. I can't really use it one handed, I have to adjust my grip as I hold it up to my ear, and it generally feels easy to drop. I've switched back to my iPhone 5 and it really is the perfect size for me.

Anyone else feeling the same? I would quite like Apple to release an iPhone 6 in a 4" format. The faster CPU and better camera are all I really want.

I'm selling my iPhone 6 in the marketplace since they are still hard to get a hold of.

I had a 4.3" screen on my first smartphone...the HTC EVO. Then the samsung galaxy nexus with its 4.7" screen. Then came the iPhone 5. Brilliant piece of tech, perfect size for me. Did I miss the extra screen real estate? Nope. Not in the least. Better app and OS design, more efficient use of space, and the Retina display combined to make a superior phone with great usability.

I have a 5S now and was supremely disappointed with the size and form factor of the iPhone 6. I held a friend's iPhone 6 on release day and all the shortcomings of my 4.7" galaxy Galaxy Nexus came back to me.

Apple is playing follower with this phone rather than leader as it did with previous generations...giving in to what the masses think they want rather than giving them what they didn't know they needed...IMHO

----------

That's very similar to how I feel. I have had my iPhone 5 since a few weeks after launch and recently received a replacement from Apple sure to a hardware fault.
The phone has served me well and feels fresh, iOS 8 run great.
I've always stuck to a two year cycle buying the phone unlocked directly from Apple then selling to fund the next phone.
I feel as though I could get another year out of the phone easily but then I don't want to miss the iPhone 7 a year later.

I went from the 5 to the 5S. It is a bit of an upgrade! touch id, noticeably faster, and better batter life with the motion chip. Given that the price is and will continue to drop on the 5S, I'd say its likely a good bet for you at some point in the not too distant future :)

OldMacDonald1

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2014
Los Angeles
Apple is playing follower with this phone rather than leader as it did with previous generations

Agreed. Much buzz has surrounded an unremarkable product. Apple just finally caught up to Android in terms of screen size and camera quality.

Apple made such an impact on the world during Jobs's time there. Now we expect any Apple product to be an amazing innovation. Sadly, no longer true.

kolax

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 20, 2007
I went from the 5 to the 5S. It is a bit of an upgrade! touch id, noticeably faster, and better batter life with the motion chip. Given that the price is and will continue to drop on the 5S, I'd say its likely a good bet for you at some point in the not too distant future :)

I keep thinking about that, but then if Apple released a 4" iPhone 6s next year, I'd be gutted I spent money on a 5s. The iPhone 5 is still capable with iOS 8 and is churning on reliably albeit with some battery woes. I'm going to try survive another year and see if Apple bring the 4" back into their lineup.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
I'll be honest. The 6 is very nice and I love it but......

The iPhone 5, 5c and 5s were the perfect size for me. One handed use turns out to be a big thing for me and I struggle being able to do it comfortably on the 6. I do love everything else about the 6 though so I'll get over it and move forward like the rest of the world.

I hope Apple does offer a 3rd 4in option on the iPhone 7.

Rm32828

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2014
Keeping my 5s gold

All I know is that I won't be upgrading anytime soon. My gold 5s 4in. Screen is just perfect and if I need a bigger screen I use my iPad mini. Playing with my wife's 6 I also don't get the same premium look and feeling for some reason I get with my 5s. Bigger screen is not reason enough to use my upgrade yet. Benchmarks are very similar and camara is a bit better but 5s camera is still awesome. I know i'll eventually have to upgrade but feel no need to rite now. (Will hold for 6s)?

Petemacuser

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2014
Have had two long sessions at the Apple Store trying the iPhone 6 (am a fast learner but reach ability feels like a compromise). I may have small hands but I just don't feel comfortable using it one handed. It's the first time (have iMac, MacBook, Ipad Mini, Apple TV, Airport Express, Time Capsule) that I havent got that 'it's perfect' feeling you always get with Apple. Such a shame as the camera and video and wrap over glass are all stunning. Was going to order iPhone 6 but might upgrade 5 to 5s, just in case this is the last one handed phone they make. Very sad Mac enthusiast. Hope all with bigger hands and those who want a two handed phone enjoy it!!

Suspended
May 3, 2011
I had a 4.3" screen on my first smartphone...the HTC EVO. Then the samsung galaxy nexus with its 4.7" screen. Then came the iPhone 5. Brilliant piece of tech, perfect size for me. Did I miss the extra screen real estate? Nope. Not in the least. Better app and OS design, more efficient use of space, and the Retina display combined to make a superior phone with great usability.

I have a 5S now and was supremely disappointed with the size and form factor of the iPhone 6. I held a friend's iPhone 6 on release day and all the shortcomings of my 4.7" galaxy Galaxy Nexus came back to me.

Apple is playing follower with this phone rather than leader as it did with previous generations...giving in to what the masses think they want rather than giving them what they didn't know they needed...IMHO

----------

I started a thread a few days ago saying the exact same thing, and about the new form factor.
As with a lot of the others I think the 4inch was perfect, and the fact that Apple used it as a selling point with the advert called thumbs view here. http://youtu.be/_B6b4zsPjIc
Is this the first sign of Apple conceding to follow?

I'm six foot five and have large hands and I'm finding it awkward. It's the added width which seems to just be over a certain size which seems to be the issue, we've all been holding more or less the same width in phone since the first iPhone so it's a massive change.

But, what I will say I'd do try to use the double tap shortcut to reach the top part of the screen, it does actually make a big different to you thumb ache.

Im guess all the people here who are complaining use the same technique to hold the phone using your little finger along the bottom to support it?

Chixdiggit

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2014
I've handled the iphone 6 4.7" for hours trying my best to get used to it but it still feels unwieldy.

I don't foresee Apple going back to a smaller screen any time soon but I think a slight design modification could go a long way in making the phone more ergonomic.

I would love to see them get rid of the rounded bevel which gives the phone a slippery feel. If they square it off a bit and give it some angles, it will be a lot more comfortable to hang on to, and in my opinion more attractive.

radiologyman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011
I was waiting for larger Iphone hoping apple will do it right. Alas, iPhone 6 is too big for one handed use

AgentCooper

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2014
I'm sending my 6+ back today. I'm utterly disappointed by the product. It really isn't right to bracket it as an iPhone. It's just too damn large to be usable and I'm really surprised Apple went with this. I can't be dealing with RSI and a weird walk just to accommodate this device.

I'll be getting a 6, but now have to wait for the 6+ to be returned by post and await the refund. I might go ahead with ordering the 6 now though.

unagimiyagi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Keeping a 4" form factor long term would go against everything Apple stands for, but I hope that Appel changes their ways.
Apple doesn't like to create a bunch of NEW models. 2 max.
It does, however, like to keep selling last year's models as their future budget models.
So what you'll see, and Apple is extremely predictable, is that the 6 will be the budget model.
The 5 will be totally gone most likely. Best case scenario is that the 5s will be still sold exactly as it is today, but that's not going to help those of us who want an upgrade to the 4" form factor. And new customers who want a smaller phone are not likely to buy such an old phone as their brand new smartphone, much like no one would buy an iPad mini today.

ob81

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2007
Virginia Beach
Talk with your wallet

Stop posting and stop buying the iPhone's you don't want. As long as you keep contributing to Apple breaking records every launch, you should be quiet.

Posting in this thread does nothing but discourage people that for some reason or another are influenced by the negativity of others.

Nothing was solved here.

robertosh

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2011
Switzerland
The first phones were big, in that time all people wanted small phones. Now the people want bigger phones again. I don't understand human race. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.