Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NeilSpoon

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2012
Yeah exactly there are no good 4 inch phones out there so those threatening to switch from Apple because of size don't seem to realise how that sounds

Even more reason they should keep making a 4 inch model as there are plenty of ppl wanting that size and no other brand makes them.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
I cannot see Apple making another 4 inch device been using my iPhone 6/iPhone 6 plus for one week.

I thinking my iPhone 6 looks to small too 5.5 is the way to go for next few years.

I guess you don't run around very much upstairs and climb things and jump over things with a phone in your pocket.

d986f45e

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2014
I guess you don't run around very much upstairs and climb things and jump over things with a phone in your pocket.
Exactly.
Some people think that if iPhone 6 fits perfectly in their jeans - it should fit the same into any other person jeans... I can say, that these few centimetres make the huge difference when you are walking a lot e.g. here in New Zealand.;) The thickness does not matter so much in this case.
As we have such a steep slopes all over the walking in my area - that the phone bigger than 5 or 5s just hurts the leg by every step when you are climbing. I like to walk to the work and back - it is about 5 km back and forth by such a slopes... So, the 5 - is no problem at all, I sometimes even check if it is still in the pocket. ;) But any bigger - it really hurts, and I really can damage it bending the leg so much on every step...

There is no way to convince me that "it will fit perfectly" - as I tried to convince myself already with no luck.:) As I really like how the 6 looks and its specs... I tried to fit it into my pockets, I played a long time with it, trying to reach the screen by one hand and trying to "not feel it in the pocket the same way as I don't feel the 5"... And I had no luck to convince me - it is really not comfortable at all in comparison with my 5 and 5s for my usecase...

Understand me right please: I do not try to convince the happy owners of 6 or 6+ that their phones are to big, I just want my little 4" part of happiness too...:)

Last edited:

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Exactly.
Some people think that if iPhone 6 fits perfectly in their jeans - it should fit the same into any other person jeans... I can say, that these few centimetres make the huge difference when you are walking a lot e.g. here in New Zealand.;) The thickness does not matter so much in this case.
As we have such a steep slopes all over the walking in my area - that the phone bigger than 5 or 5s just hurts the leg by every step when you are climbing. I like to walk to the work and back - it is about 5 km back and forth by such a slopes... So, the 5 - is no problem at all, I sometimes even check if it is still in the pocket. ;) But any bigger - it really hurts, and I really can damage it bending the leg so much on every step...

There is no way to convince me that "it will fit perfectly" - as I tried to convince myself already with no luck.:) As I really like how the 6 looks and its specs... I tried to fit it into my pockets, I played a long time with it, trying to reach the screen by one hand and trying to "not feel in in the pocket the same way as I don't feel the 5"... And I had no luck to convince me - it is really not comfortable at all in comparison with my 5 and 5s for my usecase...

Understand me right please: I do not try to convince the happy owners of 6 or 6+ that their phones are to big, I just want my little 4" part of happiness too...:)

Strange because I walk a lot, run up hills too, in levis, up stairs, climb trees, punch kick and move and the 6 is better in pocket than the 5s because the 6 sits in the corner better due to the curved edges. I didn't think it would but the 5s use to move and stick awkwardly sometimes and I expected the 6 to be a little worse but its actually better to carry. In fact I feel the 6 less if at all. For my use its a way better designed phone.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
then why would you choose an iPhone?. it's entertaining how people say i just need this little thing and that little thing so i don't need a screen this big. well, surprise, you don't need an iPhone in the first place. save yourself some money, get a dumbphone for 50 bucks. technology advances, people have bigger needs, developers and web designers are trying to fit even more on a screen and you need it bigger to make it comfortable. if it's not for you - fine. but saying "why apple, why" is like saying "keep the iPhone 5 forever, it's perfect". why even bother innovating and going forward? just sell 5s in perpetuity, who needs more?

This makes absolutely no sense. I make great use of an iPhone, but I don't browse on it for hours on end so a 4" screen is perfect for my needs. I can easily browse web sites for a few minutes, reply to e-mails, use a ton of apps, things that work well on a 4" screen but not possible or not well handled by a smaller/non-smartphone device.

Stop thinking that your way is the only way. Other's have needs outside the scope of yours.

deviant

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2007
This makes absolutely no sense. I make great use of an iPhone, but I don't browse on it for hours on end so a 4" screen is perfect for my needs. I can easily browse web sites for a few minutes, reply to e-mails, use a ton of apps, things that work well on a 4" screen but not possible or not well handled by a smaller/non-smartphone device.

Stop thinking that your way is the only way. Other's have needs outside the scope of yours.

you still have a choice of 5S and 5C. Listen, i could understand all the bitching about 5,5 inches, but 4,7 is not that big. in fact, it's a pretty normal size. they aren't many phones that are smaller anymore, and none of those are top end phones anymore. that's how the world rolls. you either adapt or become a grumpy old dude who complains about everything changing.

robertosh

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2011
Switzerland
Did you have one of those big phones? They made the 6+ look small and all they did was make calls. They very badly needed to get smaller and are nothing like what we call a mobile phone today. Phones of today are more mini computers that make phone calls.

It was only a thinking. ;)

Macshroomer

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
you still have a choice of 5S and 5C. Listen, i could understand all the bitching about 5,5 inches, but 4,7 is not that big. in fact, it's a pretty normal size. they aren't many phones that are smaller anymore, and none of those are top end phones anymore. that's how the world rolls. you either adapt or become a grumpy old dude who complains about everything changing.

I think 4, 4.7 & 5.5 inch iPhone options with current tech specs make perfect sense. Reason being is that the actual user base of these phones is far more diverse in lifestyle and job title than many on here seem to think.

Even the iphone 5 is too big for me some days on the job in terms of pants pocketing, my 6 was in a chest pocket or in the pack due to fall potential during this outing a few days ago. Apple is already making different sizes in the 6 for a reason, it would make total sense that they re-introduce a smaller version if they see a demand which I bet they will.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    465 KB · Views: 90

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC

How is that a choice when it doesn't include the latest hardware? It's not really a choice if someone wants Apple Pay and other hardware improvements.

I don't care if you understand. Understanding is not required on your part. The fact is that the phone does not fit my hand as well. I cannot both reach the far side of the screen with my thumb and hold on to the phone firmly. This was possible with the 5s. People with average sized hands are now forced to use the phone with two hands which sucks when trying do something such as hold on to a subway pole with the other hand.

The facts are this, some people prefer huge phones and some people do not. Your desire to invalidate other people's wants or needs does not change this.

And adapting means making portable devices portable. Mark my word, this is a temporary trend. Some other display tech will take over and people will once again realize how stupid it is to make a portable device so large.

Edit: And I guess compared to someone who labels his machine "B-B-BEAST" I probably am a grumpy old (aka: mature) man.

deviant

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2007
How is that a choice when it doesn't include the latest hardware? It's not really a choice if someone wants Apple Pay and other hardware improvements.

I don't care if you understand. Understanding is not required on your part. The fact is that the phone does not fit my hand as well. I cannot both reach the far side of the screen with my thumb and hold on to the phone firmly. This was possible with the 5s. People with average sized hands are now forced to use the phone with two hands which sucks when trying do something such as hold on to a subway pole with the other hand.

The facts are this, some people prefer huge phones and some people do not. Your desire to invalidate other people's wants or needs does not change this.

And adapting means making portable devices portable. Mark my word, this is a temporary trend. Some other display tech will take over and people will once again realize how stupid it is to make a portable device so large.

Edit: And I guess compared to someone who labels his machine "B-B-BEAST" I probably am a grumpy old (aka: mature) man.

Because it is a beast. People say this stuff all the time something new comes up. When 5 came out it was oh god why, 3,5 was perfect bla bla bla. Now 4 inchers bash 4.7 inchers and 4.7 bash 5.5 inchers and call them crazy. Always been like this, always will. It's difficult to put all the new tech in such a small phone and I bet if they did people like you would bitch that battery is awful (because it would be aweful) etc etc. they can't spend resources on so many phones. 2 is 1 too many already.

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
I have just accepted the fact that I will continue to use my 5S until next year. Then I will see if Apple also offers a new 4" iPhone. Until then my 5S is perfectly fine.

Themacdaddyios

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2014
Even more reason they should keep making a 4 inch model as there are plenty of ppl wanting that size and no other brand makes them.

Plenty is a relative term,with the extremely high demand for 6 plus(which i own myself) i don't think there are enough numbers to justify a continued production of 4 inch phone.Yeah i stuck with the 4 inch because i am in the apple ecosystem but now that i have a 5.5 inch option noway would i want a cramped up screen,have you tried using widgets on a 4 inch screen?awful!

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Because it is a beast. People say this stuff all the time something new comes up. When 5 came out it was oh god why, 3,5 was perfect bla bla bla. Now 4 inchers bash 4.7 inchers and 4.7 bash 5.5 inchers and call them crazy. Always been like this, always will. It's difficult to put all the new tech in such a small phone and I bet if they did people like you would bitch that battery is awful (because it would be aweful) etc etc. they can't spend resources on so many phones. 2 is 1 too many already.

Well, assume all you like, you're wrong. I have not complained in the past about changes. I have not complained about the battery. I did not complain about the screen size. I am now complaining and my complaint is legitimate. Deal with it. Like it or not, it's not your place to say I'm right or wrong.

Decimotox

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2013
As a former HTC One X owner, I was used to the 4.7 inch screen. Easy transition for me.

I could see how others who used the 3.5-4 inch screens for a while wouldn't necessarily like the 4.7 right away. But take some time and try to get used to it. The first few days for me with the 6 were awkward, but I have a case now and so I don't feel like it's as fragile as it is naked.

Just give it some time, OP. The new features are worth it (as compared to a 5). If you had a 5s, maybe it'd be a little different. But I don't think Apple is going back to the 4 inch screens, so eventually, you'll have to join the crowd, so to speak.

goofy1958

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011
I guess my biggest question to all of you that purchased a 6 or 6+ in the pre-order time, is why did you do that if you weren't sure that the phone would be the right size for you???? You received it, and discovered you don't like the larger size. Why didn't you wait??

I myself did wait, and went to the AT&T store after they received them, in order to handle both the 6 and 6+, and my 6+ is now on order. I wasn't sure which would work for me, and the 6+ does. It certainly doesn't work for everyone, though, and I'll be the first to admit it.

Saying that, I do agree that Apple should try to get the new tech into the 4" phone next year. Maybe there was simply too much extra with NFC, new LTE and all to fit it into the 4" form factor this year. I know that my wife will never go for the 6 or 6+ size, so I am also hoping for the smaller form factor for her next year. If not, she'll have to make do with my current 5s until it gives out.

To the rest that talk about switching to a 4" Android phone. Really?? Do they even make a good phone that size?

d986f45e

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2014
To the rest that talk about switching to a 4" Android phone. Really?? Do they even make a good phone that size?
There are no good Android phones of 4" size, I tried already to find something..:( People who needed compact but "top notch" smartphone - were only restricted to Apple 4-4s-5-5s (so did I too)... Now this last chance goes to disappear, and we have no choice from now on...:(

So, welcome to the future: Apple forces us to move forward to the progress, to the next generation compact phones.;)

Attachments

• 2.png
    2.png
    131.3 KB · Views: 74
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 68

airlied

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2011
I've only had my iPhone 6 a day, but I really find it's too big for me. I can't really use it one handed, I have to adjust my grip as I hold it up to my ear, and it generally feels easy to drop. I've switched back to my iPhone 5 and it really is the perfect size for me.

Anyone else feeling the same? I would quite like Apple to release an iPhone 6 in a 4" format. The faster CPU and better camera are all I really want.

I'm selling my iPhone 6 in the marketplace since they are still hard to get a hold of.
I have iPhone 6 plus for few weeks and Id say it's perfect for me but the feelings about screen size is personal I'd like to see apple to release next gen of iPhones in three sizes including the classic 4 inch and that would win some people back. I do have friends who are hesitating to getting the new iPhone just because of its size.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
I've only had my iPhone 6 a day, but I really find it's too big for me. I can't really use it one handed, I have to adjust my grip as I hold it up to my ear, and it generally feels easy to drop. I've switched back to my iPhone 5 and it really is the perfect size for me.

Anyone else feeling the same? I would quite like Apple to release an iPhone 6 in a 4" format. The faster CPU and better camera are all I really want.

I'm selling my iPhone 6 in the marketplace since they are still hard to get a hold of.

For one: one day is not long enough to get used to a new device
Two: a gain of .7" (3/4") is not a big jump. It's not much bigger than the 5s. You've used the 5s or 5 from the 4s and the jump in size is the same ratio. 3.5" to 4" / 4" to 4.7". Not that much different.

The 4" screen is just too small and difficult to use for web browsing. I have the 6 plus, it's not too big at all. If you're just using the phone to make calls and text then the 5 May be for you. But take in mind as iOS software increases the 5 will be slower and have more lag to it. You can't hold off forever. You'll have to upgrade sometime. Phones will not be getting smaller.

You need to keep the 6 for 14 days at least to give yourself time to adjust to it. For example my 6+ does not feel as large as it did when ever I got it. Also if the phone is slippery feeling like it wants to drop, then that is a good sign that you need to put a case on it! There are a lot of people on this forum who choose to not use a case on their phone which is in my opinion dumb. Especially if you plan to resell it when the next phone comes out because you want that phone to be in immaculate condition to get the best price. Nobody wants to buy a skint and scratched up phone.

I think if you use your phone longer than one day you will grow to appreciate it and like it more for its size.

kolax

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 20, 2007
For one: one day is not long enough to get used to a new device
Two: a gain of .7" (3/4") is not a big jump. It's not much bigger than the 5s. You've used the 5s or 5 from the 4s and the jump in size is the same ratio. 3.5" to 4" / 4" to 4.7". Not that much different.

The 4" screen is just too small and difficult to use for web browsing. I have the 6 plus, it's not too big at all. If you're just using the phone to make calls and text then the 5 May be for you. But take in mind as iOS software increases the 5 will be slower and have more lag to it. You can't hold off forever. You'll have to upgrade sometime. Phones will not be getting smaller.

The jump from 3.5" to 4" wasn't bad because the phone was the same width. The 4.7" iPhone is wider now and that's part of the problem. So no, the aspect ratios going from 3.5" to 4.7" are not the same.

4" is not too difficult for web browsing and the fact that you say a 5.5" phone is not too big for you means your brain can't comprehend people who are happy with a 4" screen!

I'm getting fed up of folk who are against a 4" iPhone and wildly speculating that phones are just going to get bigger. I'm not against larger phones, I just want Apple to still make a 4" phone. Your comments and a lot of other people's imply that I think Apple should make only a 4" iPhone.

4", 4.7" and 5.5" should be the lineup, and I think Apple should do that with the iPhone 6s.

RagnarViking

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2014
Absolutely

I am 100% on the same track! iPhone 4 is the most attractive. iPhone 5 is great! iPhone 6 has rolled over the peek. It would be great if "some one" could make a smaller, thicker 6.

KiwiKoala

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2014
I got the 6 yesterday and I already feel on edge about it. I have really small hands so even though it's the smaller size it's not practical for me, it feels like I'm carrying my TV's remote control around. My 4s was perfect!

I'm also not sure I like the slim, smooth design. It seem so easy to snap in half or drop. Something smaller and sturdier would make me more comfortable. I'm giving it a week to see whether I adjust, but I feel like I'd be better off with a 5s right off the bat since I can't even hold the 6 one-handed.

baconroll

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2010
Having used Android for the past 4yrs including the S3, Note 1 & 2, S4 & S5 I can honestly say that since owning my iPhone 6 it is the perfect size for me. Although I could use the S5 which is 5.1" in one hand, it was just a bit too big for comfortable daily use one handed, and the Note 2 although a great phone was just too big for me period. Plus things that annoyed me about the S5 were the finger print scanner which only worked 5% of the time for me. Also the waterproofing was just dumb imo as you had to constantly unclip the usb slot in order to charge the phone unless you bought a wireless charging cover. That thing was sure to snap off in time. I owned an iPhone 4 way back but since changed to Android. The S5 has a better screen according to reviewers and yes it was lovely but having said that, I honestly don't notice any difference with my new iPhone 6. Both are clear screens to me and I haven't missed anything since downsizing to a 4.7" phone. The first thing I bought with the new iPhone was the Apple black leather case which helps to get a good grip on the phone. I have the Silver 64gb and the black/white combo looks awesome. It fits in my pockets very well - often I don't know it's there. One handed operation is a synch for me and it's very fast. Finally the fingerprint sensor is superb- so fast, I could never go back to having to enter a pin everytime I want to open my phone. I still have 8 days to decide if I'm returning the phone but if I do it's going to be for the 6+ although I must admit it felt too big for me when trying it out in the Apple store. I dare so though that I would get used to it very quickly but right now I don't feel I need a bigger screen on my phone as I have a tablet for surfing, videos etc. I think it's great though to read everyone's opinions on what size is perfect for them and how they are adapting to their new iPhones.

RickTaylor

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2013
I agree, I prefer the form factor of the 5s. On the other hand I'm not too concerned, as Apple is still offering the 5s, which is still a fine phone. While it's not quite as up to date as the 6 of course, to me it doesn't seem that far behind. I think the gap between the 5 and the 5s is larger than that between the 5s and the 6 (ignoring size of course). I just hope enough people keep buying the smaller phone that Apple decides it's worth while to continue supporting that size.

rGiskard

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2012
Well the 6 felt like the perfect size to me, but I have large hands, so I can imagine it would be too big for a lot of people. I'm a bit surprised that Apple didn't release three sizes: small (4.0"), med (4.7"), and humongous (5.5"). They could offer only two colors and three sizes and have the same number of color/size options.

Especially since Apple spent the last two years telling everyone that 4" is the perfect size. "Just right" they said. So now they no longer make an iPhone in the right size?

Maybe colors are easier to manage than sizes? Someone may buy a different color if the one they want is out of stock, but not so much a different size.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.