Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Void5150

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2014
Here is the MacBook I'm getting:

2.5GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
Turbo Boost up to 3.7GHz
16GB 1600MHz memory
512GB PCIe-based flash storage
Intel Iris Pro Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M with 2GB GDDR5 memory​

Will a 64 bit version of Windows 7 be best? Does having a 64 bit version limit you in any way?

Should I get Home Premium or Professional?

Thank you. :)

grandM

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2013

Turbo Boost up to 3.7GHz
16GB 1600MHz memory
Intel Iris Pro Graphics

Will a 64 bit version of Windows 7 be best? Does having a 64 bit version limit you in any way?

Nope, best would be Mavericks

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013

Turbo Boost up to 3.7GHz
16GB 1600MHz memory
Intel Iris Pro Graphics

Only 64-bit versions of Windows are supported through Boot Camp. Also, Windows 7 is not the best choice for Retina displays as that operating system was not designed with ultra high resolutions in mind. Windows 8.1 is a better option, and unless you need remote desktop host and other advanced networking features, the standard version (not Pro) of the operating system will be fine. Software compatibility is largely unchanged. Pretty much everything that runs on Windows 7 will work on 8.1.

If you insist on using 7, Home Premium will do what you need. Only if you needed the aforementioned advanced networking capabilities or were running a system with more than 16 GB of RAM would you need to consider Professional.

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
Windows 7 professional, hands down.
Can, with the MS offered XP Support VM ( free ) for W7.

Only with Professional and Ultimate, so that would be another consideration for getting either of those two versions.

Still doesn't change the fact that 7 is poorly optimized for Retina displays.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Win 7 pro as others stated. I found that to be the best option.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Can, with the MS offered XP Support VM ( free ) for W7.

Not many people know about that feature. Those that do don't find it overly easy to use or maintain. Those using older 16-bit programs should probably get a dedicated off network machine Windows XP machine for best results.

macenied

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2014
A good read for this thread:

Attachments

• comparison-W7-W8-W8.1.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 345

Void5150

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2014
I read on the Macbook Pro support:

Are Windows 7 and 8 using Boot Camp supported on the Retina display?

Yes. You will need to download and install the Windows Support Software using the Boot Camp Assistant to use the Retina display with Windows 7 and 8.

That was from August 2014.

----------

Also, I read:

http://blog.laptopmag.com/windows-7-tested-on-retina-display-macbook-pro-how-good-is-it

It said: But how good does Windows 7 look on the MacBook Pro’s Retina Display? In a word: Fantastic.

macenied

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2014
The Bootcamp Support contains all windows drivers for MS Windows. In fact, my MacBook Pro is the best Windows Laptop I've ever had :) .

I use OS X 10.9.5 ( native ), Windows 7 SP1 Pro ( Bootcamp = native ) and emulate Ubuntu 14.04 in a VirtualBox with Windows 7 SP1 as the hosting system. XP Mode is installed as well. No complains, everything runs stable.

Last edited:

Void5150

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2014
The Bootcamp Support contains all windows drivers for MS Windows. In fact, my MacBook Pro is the best Windows Laptop I've ever had :) .

I use OS X ( native ), Windows 7 pro ( Bootcamp = native ) and emulate UBUNTU in a VirtualBox with Windows 7 as the hosting system. No complains, everything runs stable.

Is it easy to dual boot Mac with Windows in Bootcamp? Is it worth paying a computer shop to do it?

I ask this because I've never done it before. I'll have my Macbook Pro soon. :)

macenied

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2014
If you have a fresh installed OS X it is easy, just follow the instructions. Use a DVD and an optical drive to install W7. You can always pay for installation when there would be problems.

Do NOT delete OS X completely. You can keep it in a small partition. Some hardware related tasks can only be done with OS X.

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
Can you explain ? It is an excellent laptop.

• Poor trackpad performance compared to OS X
  • Worse battery life compared to OS X. Discreet GPU MacBooks suffer the most because automatic graphic switching is not supported in Windows.
  • Different keyboard layout: Command is the Windows key, and there's only one Control key.
  • System runs hotter in Windows. Again, discreet GPU models are worse in this regard because the NVIDIA card is active at all times.
  • Driver support in general is worse than a comparable Windows ultrabook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.