Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
Sorry, but it is difficult to detect sarcasm on this forum.

Some people are furiously stating that the solution is to keep the phone out of a pocket. It is blowing my mind.

And the way to prevent shoes from wearing out is to not wear them.

unknownx

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2011
Are there any reports of the smaller iPhone 6 being bent? Or is it just about the Plus-version?

McCool71

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2012
This is just a non-issue simply don't put the phone in your pocket.

Ahh. But not all of us use man-bags you see.

People who have had their cell phones in their pockets since the 90s will continue to do so - and it is something a cell phone should be designed to tolerate.

Derpert

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2014
Whilst we are talking about this issue, one should be aware of the nature of glass under stress. Glass generally isn't ductile. It is a weird kind of supercooled liquid (honest) anyway, it doesn't dissipate energy by yielding, it just keeps on storing it up till it gives up and shatters. Expect to see lots of these screens fracturing under the duress of these bent phones. Once its carrier is bent, the glass won't have much resistance left to cope with a fall etc. Also, the sandwich design will not stay dust/water/gunge proof once the frame is warped and the screen frame ceases to form a tight seal.......

I should stop thinking about the knock on of this lol.

iceperson

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2014
Still no answer on how he did that.

He clearly dropped it as pointed out by someone else and confirmed by him.

Next......

If the phone was bent like that from the force created by its own weight under a fall then I can't see how that would be better. If a 172 gram device can't be dropped without bending across the middle that would be an even bigger issue than bending in your pocket...

----------

Surely somewhere on the Internet someone has done a bend test with a device that can actually measure the amount of force necessary to bend/break the phone?

Unless the person doing the testing is Tim Cook it wouldn't make a difference to most of the people here...

ostrich-head-in-sand.jpg

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
THIS! I test this in a front pocket sitting down and I could swear it was bending. You felt the pressure points on the ends. Clearly if I got the plus I'd never be able to sit at a table with it. This is bringing back the holster.

do you not feel the pressure on your phone/pocket area though?

scrtagntman

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014

toekneeg

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2012
Orlando, FL
The people here that are pissed off at people posting pics/videos is hilarious. I posted my pics/video because I'm pissed that this beautiful, amazing phone bent in the pocket of my shorts in three days with nothing extraordinary going on.

It just sucks because I never worried about my Note 3 in my pocket and but I now have to be EXTRA careful with my new iPhone (which I always thought was a much superior product)

anthonybkny

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2011
NYC
Lots of major news outlets picked up on this story of the plus bending. Maybe Apple will stop selling and recall them.

braintumor

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2010
The Apple apologist need to see a doctor or something... This is issue is kind of getting very serious after only 3 days in service, but some folks here have nothing else to do then call us trolls, apple-hater, wanna see apple fail etc etc.
You guys must seriously check your head, I will tell you why people want to create awareness...
We love apple products and nobody here wants to see apple fail, but at the same time NOBODY wants to see their OWN iphone 6(+) fail and with that potentially see their money/investment fail (most people have to work hard for that)!

Lets not forget its only 3 freaking days in service now, but most people will use their phones around 2 years, some even 3-4 years. If after 3 days we can already observe structural design issues with phones being carried/used in a normal way, how do think these phones will do during their 2 year life!

Nobody is expecting a bulletproof phone, but a phone should not bend/break under normal use conditions and if handled reasonably a phone should easily survive 2 years of service!??

If even the tech media folks are having issues with bending iphones, then it will not take long that this will go mainstream...

braintumor

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2010

hasanahmad

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2009
Wow, oke this should be enough evidence for the beginning to show that the iphone 6+ has a weak design and you should be very careful if you wanna use it for a long time (1-3 years).

I'm seriously thinking of cancelling my order for now and see how things develop over the next weeks and how apple reacts to this.

And would you say and 5 and 5s were also weak as they would bend easily like 6

Derpert

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2014
Wow, oke this should be enough evidence for the beginning to show that the iphone 6+ has a weak design and you should be very careful if you wanna use it for a long time (1-3 years).

I'm seriously thinking of cancelling my order for now and see how things develop over the next weeks and how apple reacts to this.
Apples reaction will be interesting.

scrtagntman

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
And would you say and 5 and 5s were also weak as they would bend easily like 6

Like the 6? I saw no evidence of that. Only that some bent as well. Someone would have to test it. We did see a 6+ bend with moderate force and a Note 3 not bend with a lot of force.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.